PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much water current?

scrappinjaime
02-03-2017, 10:56 PM
I have a 75 gallon with two ac110 and a 12" bubble wand. I have the two filters on high. Thank you

Willie
02-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Your discus will tell you. If they seem to be swimming against a current, then it's too much. Otherwise, they're fine.

It also depends on the size of your discus. I find 5"+ fish do better with some current. I put a power head into tanks 75 gallons or bigger and the fish seem more lively and eat better. My friends who are heavily into Africans also observe the same effect.

Willie

Filip
02-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Jaime , please explain , are this HOBs and what is their declared GPH rate ?

Generally, if you have at least a 1/4 of your tank with low current and flow for discus to retrieve and rest from the current than you should be OK with it .

My humble experience with discus shows that even though adults can confront the strong currents better than the Young's , lively Young's seems to enjoy the currents more than "lazy "adults .

HarryDk
02-05-2017, 04:50 AM
Personally I think discus are fine with strong current as long as you can control the direction of the flow. I have 450L tank and yet my pump is set for 4000LPH during the day, they love the flow, when they tire they will just find a calmer spot and sleep.
You can adjust the direction and play with it imo