PDA

View Full Version : peppering

clark12
02-04-2017, 10:52 PM
new to discus and searching for fish i want to buy soon. my question is why do some fish pepper? is it all fish or only certain strains? if i have sand in my main tank after qt, does that factor into color or peppering at all?

Mattgoanna
02-05-2017, 04:10 AM
Peppering is restricted to pigeon blood strains, however some gold based no pigeon bloods will develop what is called dusting. Many of the modern pigeon bloods are very clean and have little or no peppering - therefore it is about quality. The darker the substrate, walls etc, the more likely they are to show the peppering as they try and blend to the environment.
So, if you intend to keep a bare bottom tank with blue or white walls then they will show less. If your tank has substrate and plants, then go for non pigeons unless you know they are from a very clean strain.

Ash92
02-05-2017, 04:11 AM
new to discus and searching for fish i want to buy soon. my question is why do some fish pepper? is it all fish or only certain strains? if i have sand in my main tank after qt, does that factor into color or peppering at all?

Peppering I caused by dark surroundings in the tank they try to blend in mostly PB's and what size are you getting your discus if juveniles I wouldn't put sand in the tank

Filip
02-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Here is another informative thread on peppering started just a few days ago :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?127658-Discus-and-peppering-question

clark12
02-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Here is another informative thread on peppering started just a few days ago :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?127658-Discus-and-peppering-question

thanks, i would say its genetics that put the pepper in the fish, but how we control their new environment ; light, sub,paint,ext... is what brings out that pepper. i didn't think that a black substrate would permanently pigment a fish. if so breeders/someone would know about this

clark12
02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Peppering I caused by dark surroundings in the tank they try to blend in mostly PB's and what size are you getting your discus if juveniles I wouldn't put sand in the tank

Ash one of my next questions is why no sand? maybe this needs its own thread, but i would appreciate your input

Filip
02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
thanks, i would say its genetics that put the pepper in the fish, but how we control their new environment ; light, sub,paint,ext... is what brings out that pepper. i didn't think that a black substrate would permanently pigment a fish. if so breeders/someone would know about this

Surroundings cant permanently change the peppering niether to worse or better . Its only a momentary camouflage of discus with its surroundings .

clark12
02-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Surroundings cant permanently change the peppering niether to worse or better . Its only a momentary camouflage of discus with its surroundings .

thanks Filip, and that was a good read that you linked

Ash92
02-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Ash one of my next questions is why no sand? maybe this needs its own thread, but i would appreciate your input

It all depends on what size discus u stock buddy most people say if there juveniles then go simple bare bottom tank as it's easier to maintain because how much u feed the little buggers lol to grow them big so bare bottom would be best for juveniles. But you could be stocking adult discus I don't no what your getting adults or juveniles?

clark12
02-05-2017, 10:12 AM
It all depends on what size discus u stock buddy most people say if there juveniles then go simple bare bottom tank as it's easier to maintain because how much u feed the little buggers lol to grow them big so bare bottom would be best for juveniles. But you could be stocking adult discus I don't no what your getting adults or juveniles?

definitely juvies. i know its a lot of work but i want to do it. i enjoy the maintenance of my tanks. i have a 75g running with 22 cardinals 5 german blue rams and 3 cory cats. I'm thinking 6 discus to add to that. i bought a 29g QT tank that will be BB. I'm deciding on filtration still. on my 75 i have a canister that has kept my water to the point that i decided to raise discus. it is great and not bad to deal with. now, everyone else has sponge filters so of course I'm looking into these and an HOB. i have 2 HOB aqua clear 20 on my 20g long and they are super simple to clean and cheap. after typing this i think i answered my own question. 1 HOB and a sponge in the QT. i will leave my canister until it dies. i didn't pay that much for it to sit on the bench. i will find a pre filter for the intake. thanks Ash i talked through a bunch of my questions that i now have answers for. anything you would add to that? how about the # of discus

Ash92
02-05-2017, 11:53 AM
definitely juvies. i know its a lot of work but i want to do it. i enjoy the maintenance of my tanks. i have a 75g running with 22 cardinals 5 german blue rams and 3 cory cats. I'm thinking 6 discus to add to that. i bought a 29g QT tank that will be BB. I'm deciding on filtration still. on my 75 i have a canister that has kept my water to the point that i decided to raise discus. it is great and not bad to deal with. now, everyone else has sponge filters so of course I'm looking into these and an HOB. i have 2 HOB aqua clear 20 on my 20g long and they are super simple to clean and cheap. after typing this i think i answered my own question. 1 HOB and a sponge in the QT. i will leave my canister until it dies. i didn't pay that much for it to sit on the bench. i will find a pre filter for the intake. thanks Ash i talked through a bunch of my questions that i now have answers for. anything you would add to that? how about the # of discus

I like to maintain a aquarium aswell but it's so much better for the juveniles with bare bottom but you do what u think.I had a canister filter to a fluval fx6 but I traded it in and got a load of sponge filters and other equipment for my setup with the money and also setup a QT tank with the left over money I had so I done good with that lol check it out its one of my thread.but good luck with your new discus ��