PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to deworm?

CammieTime
02-06-2017, 12:59 AM
Should you always deworm new discus, or should you only do this to fish that show signs of issues, like not eating? If so, how do you deworm, feed them special deworming flakes?

Filip
02-06-2017, 02:56 AM
Should you always deworm new discus, or should you only do this to fish that show signs of issues, like not eating? If so, how do you deworm, feed them special deworming flakes?

Usually if you trust the source , and they deworm their discus ,you don't need to do it , but if they are comming from a LFS or other unknown source , it couldn't hurt if you take safety precautions by deworming them.

The problem with worms is that you can't reaaly see a problem right away .The affected fish eats , sometimes even more than ussuall and it is active and lively .
And that's why people deworm out of precautions if they are not sure about the source .

I don't know how effective deworming flakes are , but I have used Praziquantel and Levamisole powder for Tapeworms and roundworms (Cammalanus) .

bluelagoon
02-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Hi,I see that you posted in the emergency room.Take a look at your PH at 9.0.That is rather high for discus.I don't have much faith in those already medicated foods.Best to put your own meds in the food if you take that route.Like mentioned it takes a long time to see the effects of worms and usually they appear thin and still eat.There is fat in hamburger and could cause a problem.