PDA

View Full Version : Hero fish question

Pices
02-06-2017, 12:06 PM
I've been growing up 10 discus in a 75 gal tank with a 125 gal waiting for them. I have a pair in the 75 that are laying eggs (a golden lollipop and red eagle that I'm not interested in breeding). I read here that once they start laying eggs they won't grow anymore. My hero, red eagle is 5 ". My 125 is ready. Should I introduce him yet?
Maybe some pics would help.106734106735

brewmaster15
02-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Patty,
How long have you had the rams and other dither fish in the 125?

al

Pices
02-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Some since last April, the Rams since last sept-oct.

brewmaster15
02-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Sounds like you are as ready as you will ever be. Good luck. I would him in there and wait 1-2 weeks. I suspect you will be okay though.

al

Pices
02-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Thanks Al,
I'm excited and nervous at the same time! Thanks for your input. Now to just do it!
Patty

Jenene
02-06-2017, 10:53 PM
Wow Patty! It's time!!! Whoo hoo! Keeping my fingers crossed but you have kept them nice and healthy for the move. Keep us posted on the hero! Will it be tough to choose? I had a really hard time choosing mine when I was ready to get my new ones out of QT. I love them all! Good luck!;)

Ash92
02-07-2017, 05:21 AM
Wow Patty! It's time!!! Whoo hoo! Keeping my fingers crossed but you have kept them nice and healthy for the move. Keep us posted on the hero! Will it be tough to choose? I had a really hard time choosing mine when I was ready to get my new ones out of QT. I love them all! Good luck!;)

Hi jenene when we write messages on people's post how do you get the little message what comes up under your message like your "you can't trust the water:

Filip
02-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Looking forward to see your progress Patty .
I keep my fingers croosed for you , hoping everything will turn out just as smooth as silk .

Jenene
02-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Hi jenene when we write messages on people's post how do you get the little message what comes up under your message like your "you can't trust the water:

Hi Ash- Go to "settings" upper right on the top of your screen, then on the left your see "profile" scroll down to "edit signature" type in what ever you like. :D

Sorry to hijack your thread Patty wasn't sure how to answer this elsewhere or if a PM would be noticed. :focus:

Filip
02-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Hi Ash- Go to "settings" upper right on the top of your screen, then on the left your see "profile" scroll down to "edit signature" type in what ever you like. :D

Sorry to hijack your thread Patty wasn't sure how to answer this elsewhere or if a PM would be noticed. :focus:

Thank you for helping with moderation Jenene :) .
I got carried away with work in my office and didn't have time to help Ash , but you have done it perfectly for me :)

Pices
02-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Thanks Ash & Jenene- I learned something too!
I haven't added hero yet. I thought I'd let them enjoy their last bunch of eggs together & pick a time when I can watch him closely-I think Saturday's the day. Thanks for all the encouragement guys!
Patty

adrian31@outlook.com
02-07-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanks Jenene, I've got to put something in there myself.

Yom
02-07-2017, 01:57 PM
The 125 is beautiful! Love the "roots" with the plants, the fish will look lovely in there. Don't know how you have held off so long putting some in there! It's more than ready....it's begging for them to move in.

Jenene
02-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Thanks Ash & Jenene- I learned something too!
I haven't added hero yet. I thought I'd let them enjoy their last bunch of eggs together & pick a time when I can watch him closely-I think Saturday's the day. Thanks for all the encouragement guys!
Patty

You are so smart to be patient and wait until you can observe Patty. I hope you have a big enough net. They have really grown since you got them. I made the mistake of moving my Eruption Leopard to a QT to treat for bloat and my net was too small and the netting too large and he got stuck! I felt awful. He tore his dorsal a bit- you could see three of the spines poking through. He healed very quickly and perfectly though with really clean water. I bought a really BIG net with fine mesh the next day. I can now safely grow them out to be 10" 'cause I have a big enough net :grin: Just don't want you to make the same mistake I did after waiting so long! :o Keep us posted! The suspense of seeing them in there is so exciting!

Yom
02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Any updates?

Pices
02-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Sorry Dale, just saw your post. I've been in the emergency room section here due to problems with my EB's after a big wc. 2 got sick and died & I don't know why. I hadn't put the discus in yet-thank God! Looks like they'll be staying put for a while till I figure out what happened. I suspect my hoses & this time did a smaller (40) gal wc and aged the water. No problems with my last EB. My other dither fish and cories didn't eat for a couple days but didn't show any other signs of distress. Sure wish I knew what happened.
Patty

Pices
02-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Oh I also put a filter sock over the hoses to catch any gunk coming out of the tubes when I turn the sump pumps back on.

Yom
02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. Good luck getting things squared away, its going to be a beautiful tank when done!