PDA

View Full Version : What would you reccomend... Sponge, HOB, Canister or Sump

zippy
02-09-2017, 12:09 PM
I would like everyone to discuss this question.
I am setting up a new 75 gal Discus tank. I have not had a Discus tank in over 20 years so I have a lot to learn about the new methods. I have not decided on what type of filter system I want to use. What would you do if you were in this position. I want it to be efficient, quiet, and easy to maintain.
I appreciate your advise...........
Zippy

Akili
02-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Lots of different filter system work,it is a matter of preference.What do you have on hand and are you looking for a newer one?. One more thing what did you have in mind?

PAR23
02-09-2017, 12:45 PM
I use 2 AC 110 in my 75G. Easy to maintain and reliable.

zippy
02-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I am looking for the most efficient and easiest to maintain. I do not have anything to start with so I am open to anything right now.
Zippy

RogueDiscus
02-09-2017, 12:49 PM
I think adding to what Akili said, it also depends on what type of tank you intend to keep. If you're going bare-bottom, just discus, I bet sponge filters would be the easiest. It you're going planted, well, that's a different story.

zippy
02-09-2017, 01:28 PM
My tank will be BB and Discus only. I'm not looking to breed or raise young. I intend to buy 6 to 7, 4.5" fish.
Zippy

DISCUS STU
02-09-2017, 01:35 PM
There's no way around the work and the regular maintenance. Many people keep simple sponge filters and do 50%-100% water changes a day and get great results. I keep canister filters with UV sterilizers and do 50% water changes every 3-4 days and get what I would consider as very good results.

Sorry if I'm not giving you a very direct answer but I think in the final analysis any of the systems that you mentioned can work well if you're also willing to do the other maintenance. It's always about the water first.

scrappinjaime
02-09-2017, 03:03 PM
I have 2 AC110 filters on my 75 gal. With a light layer of sand and Discus only. I have a couple pieces of drift wood with anubias and a couple of sword plants. They are easy enough, quite and have been working well. I do a 90% water change every other day. My chemical ammonia, nitrates etc are always at zero. I have been wondering about canisters myself. I will be following.