PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine fish from Kenny

scrappinjaime
02-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Hello everyone, I have ordered a few more fish from Kenny. There is a lot of different opinions on how to quarantine. My plan was to have them set up in a tank and do water changes every day for 6 weeks, with no medicine. I'm reading about different meds people use and am wondering now if my method is not right. With my original purchase from Kenny I just put them in their home. (No other fish). So didn't quarantine them. I have plenty of time to change how I was going to do this. What do you recommend?

I have:
20 gallon tank
over and back filter
sponge filter
heater

Is there anything else I need?

Akili
02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
How many fish ? 20 gallon tank might be too small depending on size and Take a look at this.....................http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions

RogueDiscus
02-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Hi Jamie,
I have been buying from Kenny for several years. I quarantine my new arrivals, but I have never medicated or had a problem. I would recommend sending him an email and asking him directly.
Steve

scrappinjaime
02-10-2017, 07:08 PM
He recommended just good ol clean water for 4-6 weeks.

Jenene
02-11-2017, 01:11 AM
He recommended just good ol clean water for 4-6 weeks.

Just saw this post a bit too late to answer but I bought 2 more fish a month apart from the first 6 and had the same question back in October. Kenny really does a very thorough and intensive QT- so for his fish it really does make sense to just let them rest and acclimate to you, your home and water in their QT.

My issue was aggression in there though. Since I only had 2 in the QT the big Eruption Leopard thought he owned the place and was beating the heck out of the smaller Checkerboard. I had to put up a divider in the 20 gallon QT which didn't leave them much room to move but at least they were not killing each other. You may want to have a divider on hand in case you have the same issues. Those small groups are mean. The whole hero fish thing was even more of a fiasco with wicked violence and I ended up having to break QT a little bit early for all of our sanity. The reason I bought two more was to disperse the aggression in the big tank!

They are all great now though. It took a good 2 weeks to get the pecking order worked out but now sweet peace reigns.

Good luck and post pics. So exciting getting new fish! What did you get? Knowing Kenny- they will be stunning.;)

Pices
02-11-2017, 12:09 PM
I bought a few more fish from Kenny a few months after my first batch and I didn't quarantine. No problems for me.
Patty

Jenene
02-11-2017, 12:13 PM
I bought a few more fish from Kenny a few months after my first batch and I didn't quarantine. No problems for me.
Patty

I didn't think there would be but of course Kenny recommended it. He said most likely they would be fine but I have never been a risk taker. Is your hero fish in your display tank yet Patty? It is Saturday!!!!:bounce:

Willie
02-11-2017, 02:24 PM
You have to quarantine, but I don't believe prophylactic treatment is necessary with Kenny's fish. He picked up some male Melons for me two weeks ago and they're doing just great in quarantine.

Willie

Jenene
02-11-2017, 02:47 PM
You have to quarantine, but I don't believe prophylactic treatment is necessary with Kenny's fish. He picked up some male Melons for me two weeks ago and they're doing just great in quarantine.

Willie

Can't see your pic Wille! The link is not working. Would love to see them!

Akili
02-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Can't see your pic Wille! The link is not working. Would love to see them!

Willie
02-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Thanks! :D

Jenene
02-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Willie

Absolutely gorgeous Willie! Thanks for posting your Kenny crew in QT.
Thanks Naz for fixing the attachment.