PDA

View Full Version : Stocking suggestion for my 50 gallon tank

planter
02-14-2017, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone,

CurrentIy am growing out 5 discus in my 50 gallon bb tank. The only other tank mates in the tank right now are two german rams. I intend to grow out the discus then move them to a larger tank. Or if 2 pair off I might sell the other discus or donate them to a local aquarium club and keep the pair in their current tank. Keeping 2 discus tanks are not in the cards right now I haven't decided what to do yet.

If I decide to to keep just two paired discus in my 50 gallon would it be wise to turn this tank into a community tank? I've kept paired dwarf cichlids in community tanks before they would get a little defensive when they spawned but nothing more than chasing intruders out of their territory occurred.

I have no intention of rasing fry so if they were to spawn and the eggs were eaten it wouldn't bother me. Im just not sure if the discus would get super aggressive and start killing other tank mates or if the whole ordeal would stress them out.

I would stock the tank with a small school of cardinal tetras the German blue rams that are currently in the tank and possibly a group of cories.

Thoughts?

Mattgoanna
02-14-2017, 06:12 AM
No problem. I have paired Discus in with tetras, catfish, corys and have also had angelfish and geophagus with them. I also have paired female / female Discus that live together fine. They will get a little territorial but, as long as you have places to hide, other fish should be fine.