PDA

View Full Version : seachem tidal power filter

clark12
02-14-2017, 08:10 AM
seachem tidal power filter, does anyone have one? I'm gearing up for my QT tank and i am thinking a sponge and an HOB. i just found this filter and really liking it. would like to hear some reviews. also my qt is 29 gal and I'm thinking I'm getting 6- 3" discus. the smallest tidal is a 55. i will add this to my main tank after qt. it has a skimmer that would come in handy and is adjustable as well. any ways a 55 filter in a 29g i was thinking just run it at maybe 75% so the current isn't too strong. price is kinda comparable to the Aquaclear that i was going to get

LJSmith
02-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Im running the Tidal 55 on my QT tank. I like it a lot more than my AC110. It is well thought out and clearly they borrowed the best in class features from the most popular HOB's over the last 20 years. I have the flow cranked all the way down for my 29 and it has done very well. My favorite feature is the self-priming pump. One less step on the water change front.

clark12
02-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Im running the Tidal 55 on my QT tank. I like it a lot more than my AC110. It is well thought out and clearly they borrowed the best in class features from the most popular HOB's over the last 20 years. I have the flow cranked all the way down for my 29 and it has done very well. My favorite feature is the self-priming pump. One less step on the water change front.

What do you have in the 29 gal qt? Does the flow on a higher setting bother them?

LJSmith
02-14-2017, 01:02 PM
I have had tetras, discus, GBRs and Plecos over time with that filter in QT. The flow did not seem to ever bother them. I just adjusted it to get more biological than mechanical filtration. You can adjust the flow for both intakes; the inlet tube and the skimmer.

jmf3460
02-14-2017, 02:22 PM
fellow HOB lover here. just googled and saw a video from an aquatic expo on these, they look awesome!! I'm going to have to try one I have yet to find one to beat the longevity and quality of a penguin/emperor 400 (made by marineland) but I also have had really good luck with aquaclear but I have also had some of its cheaper components break off. this reminds me of aqueon's quietflow HOB's in design and overall shape, which I do run two of these also and have had good luck.

pitdogg2
02-14-2017, 05:03 PM
looks like a well thought out design

clark12
02-14-2017, 06:12 PM
i have 3 aqua clear 20's running, 2 on a 20 long and one on a 10g. i am really happy with the performance and like having the same filter for swapping parts and media when needed. since i need a bigger filter for this 29g QT i think this Tidal is worth a shot. it is well thought out with (they say) years of prototypes and rejected thoughts. price point is not bad at all either. $45 for the 55. huge media basket as well

Davidzil
02-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Looks great!