PDA

View Full Version : Wow. I just about give up.....

BmoreBraap
02-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Pretty much at a loss for words at this point. Ever since I started this hobby 4 months ago I have had some serious curve balls thrown my way and created some of my own issues along the way also. Always learning the hard way. Everything from malfunctioning equipment, sick fish, dead fish, culling fish to be sent to a lab for analysis after treatments did not work and other fish started showing signs, water issues, bullying, flooding basement....the list goes on. But this one tops it completely off. Today happened to also be the first day after levamisole treatment (battling parasites for 2 months) that ALL my fish ate. This was the first sign of hope I have had in those 2 months that my fish were going to recover. Then I came home from work to this...

http://i.imgur.com/gFv2Zyy.jpg

Yup, that would be a nice crack at the base of my 125. Hell yes!! So excited. Not only do I not have enough tanks or a big enough spare to fit them in, but I surely dont have the extra coin to go replace this either. Looks like some local Marylanders will be getting some free Discus any day now.

Jenene
02-16-2017, 07:20 PM
OMG...That is all so horrendous...just awful. Really sorry this has all happened to you in such a short time. I really wish I had helpful words of wisdom for you..All I can say is my heart goes out to you.

Dhavalsp
02-16-2017, 08:15 PM
I would just reduce the water level to be safe until you get an alternative.... check out local clubs you might just get a temp place or a good deal on a tank... try Cca I am in Maryland and that's our local club....sorry man...

warblad79
02-16-2017, 08:42 PM
I would just reduce the water level to be safe until you get an alternative.... check out local clubs you might just get a temp place or a good deal on a tank... try Cca I am in Maryland and that's our local club....sorry man...

Also when reducing the water, the pressure is also reduce as well.

Ryan925
02-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Also when reducing the water, the pressure is also reduce as well.

+1

Filip
02-17-2017, 04:58 AM
Leave the tank running with 40% water until you find a good deal for a new simmilar sized tank Matt.
And dont give up please. You have stood through hell and back and now you are getting cold feet over a piece of glass :) ? You got to be tougher than that Matt .

RobbieRobV
02-17-2017, 06:03 AM
There should be some sort of warranty with the tank if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they guarantee that their tanks aren't going to just crack like that. It doesn't seem like there is any mark signifying that the glass was hit and that should be on the manufacturer for their glass giving in under pressure. If I'm not mistaken, you bought this tank for black friday 2016 and that means that it hasn't help up for 4 months. Kind of nervous because I'm pretty sure I have the same tank. :(

Jenene
02-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Hey guys- would it help to try and reinforce it with silicone or some kind of adhesive on the outside in the meantime?

magplate
02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Look on Craigslist, there are always lots of tanks. Some may be ugly but they will hold your fish.

Ryan925
02-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Hey guys- would it help to try and reinforce it with silicone or some kind of adhesive on the outside in the meantime?

I'd say best thing is to drop water level as much as you can. Less pressure and weight on that crack the better.

Jenene
02-17-2017, 11:29 PM
I'd say best thing is to drop water level as much as you can. Less pressure and weight on that crack the better.

That makes sense Ryan- especially trying to put some kind of tape on it. I could see a looming disaster there. It is something I would do and regret it as the tank collapses at my feet.

Dhavalsp
02-18-2017, 12:27 AM
I didn't see the pic before. That crack is quiet pronounced... I would act fast... silicon may work but the constant worry won't be worth it especially with 125.... I guess you will be having a busy weekend!

BmoreBraap
02-18-2017, 01:23 PM
There should be some sort of warranty with the tank if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they guarantee that their tanks aren't going to just crack like that. It doesn't seem like there is any mark signifying that the glass was hit and that should be on the manufacturer for their glass giving in under pressure. If I'm not mistaken, you bought this tank for black friday 2016 and that means that it hasn't help up for 4 months. Kind of nervous because I'm pretty sure I have the same tank. :(

Go inspect your tank immediately. If you have substrate, remove it. When I got the substrate out of the old tank, ALL four corners had spider webbed cracks. To add insult to injury, after seeing all four corners cracked on the old tank I inspected the crap out of the new tank....yup, hairline cracks on the bottom of the new tank also. Not sure if this is a petsmart handling issue, poor manufacturing or the crappy stand. Either way I am now fighting with Petsmart over a full refund because I refuse to use this brand of tank anymore.

JBurgo
02-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Glass too thin?

Hart24601
02-20-2017, 12:56 PM
I feel you pain my friend, it's been quite the voyage for me too, any updates?

BmoreBraap
02-21-2017, 03:58 PM
I feel you pain my friend, it's been quite the voyage for me too, any updates?

A journey indeed my friend...not one of those fun ones either but I know you of all people went through the ringer yourself last year.

Update: Returned both tanks to Petsmart and got a full refund for them. Wasn't willing to chance it again with a Top Fin/Aqueon brand from them...so the next day I made a trip upstate to PA and got a Marineland 125 tank and stand. A little bit more $ but the tank seemed to be in much better shape with cleaner construction and the stand was real wood. The store also inspected the hell out of it with me to ease my mind. Spent the day setting it up and getting ALL fish back in safely. 0 casualties and everyone was back to normal so that went well.

But now I am so paranoid to say the least. I feel like everything is going to crack my tank. I'm even worried about the pressure from my water changes at this point...about to make a post about that actually.
So, now its back to my normally scheduled issue...medicating my tank with round 2 of Levamisole!

Just never say it can't get any worse...because good lord can it and it will at some point.

William1
02-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Just curious and not a dig by any means, was that one of the $1 dollar a gallon tanks?

Fishquake
02-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Just make it easy on yourself, get another tank.

Lido
02-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Just curious and not a dig by any means, was that one of the $1 dollar a gallon tanks?

Sounds like it.

I've always been a fan of Visio tanks for the more "moderately priced" range. They seem to hold up well.

ktm4us6
02-21-2017, 10:34 PM
If your floor is way out of level it doesnt matter how good the tank or stand is. Your floor could be twisted allowing extra pressure on your glass. I had a friend install supports under the floor for my tank, and didn't take the time to measure the braces correctly. If they were to long he just pounded them in. Needless to say within a week the floor moved enough and cracked my 280g tank.

Jack L
02-21-2017, 10:47 PM
If your floor is way out of level it doesnt matter how good the tank or stand is. Your floor could be twisted allowing extra pressure on your glass. I had a friend install supports under the floor for my tank, and didn't take the time to measure the braces correctly. If they were to long he just pounded them in. Needless to say within a week the floor moved enough and cracked my 280g tank.

???
the stand wasn't rigid?

RobbieRobV
02-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Just make it easy on yourself, get another tank.

No, this was a black friday deal they had going on. They were selling the 125g with stand and lights for $300 before noon. Ridiculously great price but unfortunately it sounds like not all of the tanks were well taken care of. I just checked every part of my tank and it seems like everything is perfectly fine, but I am a bit weary now. Considering the fact that I have 17 discus in this tank, I would nearly have a heart attack if this would happen to me. Glad everything is looking better for you Matt.

Jack L
02-21-2017, 11:05 PM
Go inspect your tank immediately. If you have substrate, remove it. When I got the substrate out of the old tank, ALL four corners had spider webbed cracks. To add insult to injury, after seeing all four corners cracked on the old tank I inspected the crap out of the new tank....yup, hairline cracks on the bottom of the new tank also. Not sure if this is a petsmart handling issue, poor manufacturing or the crappy stand. Either way I am now fighting with Petsmart over a full refund because I refuse to use this brand of tank anymore.

i'd guess some of all the above.

i'm also surprised how thin the glass is on some of the smaller tanks now.

sorry to hear of your trouble. but if you are in PA. that pet place in lancaster area has better quality tanks

BmoreBraap
02-23-2017, 12:47 AM
No, this was a black friday deal they had going on. They were selling the 125g with stand and lights for $300 before noon. Ridiculously great price but unfortunately it sounds like not all of the tanks were well taken care of. I just checked every part of my tank and it seems like everything is perfectly fine, but I am a bit weary now. Considering the fact that I have 17 discus in this tank, I would nearly have a heart attack if this would happen to me. Glad everything is looking better for you Matt.

Correct, it was the Persmart Black Friday deal. Although I believe the $1 per g sale was the exact same brand tanks, just not sure if they went higher than 75g in that sale. And thanks..things finally seem to be under control.

i'd guess some of all the above.

i'm also surprised how thin the glass is on some of the smaller tanks now.

sorry to hear of your trouble. but if you are in PA. that pet place in lancaster area has better quality tanks

I'm in MD, but that's actually exactly where I went and got a Marineland. Definitely seems to be higher quality.