PDA

View Full Version : Rapid quarantine - bluff?

LoGeek
02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
There's some local hobby breeders here claiming that this stuff works. Anyone that knows something about this or similiar products?

I'm by nature sceptical to these kind of products... Is it regular snake oil or is there some science behind their claims?

http://www.discusfood.com/fish-protector-quick-quarantine/

Second Hand Pat
02-19-2017, 09:22 AM
It is some type of med (based on the bath part). Personally I would not use it since it does not list the ingredients. Also I do not want to medicate new arrivals, I want them to acclimate in clean water and observe for any possible issues.

Would suggest doing proper QT (six weeks in a QT with use of hero fish for two additional weeks). This product encourages you to mix old and new fish after the bath lol.
Pat

Filip
02-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Until I see a list of all active chemicals and antibiotics used and explanation how and on what type of bacteria they work , I would be doubtful and sceptical too Jorgen .

Filip
02-19-2017, 09:44 AM
And two more notes :
First if it prepares/ cleans the new arrivals with bath prior introduction , wouldn't it be logical to bath the current stock too for new arrivals to be protected too ?

And second and completely offtopic .
I have tried the beefheart paste mix from this company and it was a complete failure. Non of my discus or other fish ate it and on top of that it was the messiest food I've ever fed . You can see the fog spreading as the food slowly disolved in the water column .Never more :).

Willie
02-19-2017, 07:42 PM
If something seems to good to be true, it probably is... :D

The wording in the description is totally unscientific. Terms like "bacterial intolerance" and "pathogenic germs" are simply not what anyone with a technical background would ever use. One of the funniest sentences is "The plasmids of the bacteria will be destroyed by the osmotic effect." The sentence is so wrong, on some many levels...

Based on the warning for crustaceans and invertebrates, it's probably a copper treatment. I'd stay with quarantine.

Willie