PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Discus from Different Sources

Clawhammer
02-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Hi Everyone.

I recently lost a couple discus and have begun to think about replacing them. I have 10 discus from Hans, but I won't be doing business with him again. I have read that mixing Asian and German discus is a no no. Is there another German source? Would it be more compatible with my current stock than discus from Asia?

Thanks!

Keith Perkins
02-23-2017, 11:53 PM
I have read that mixing Asian and German discus is a no no. Is there another German source?

I don't believe there is another source for German discus in the U.S. besides Hans, unless of course you find someone who is home breeding fish that originally came from Hans. The no mixing of Asian and German discus is nothing more than an old wives tale at best. I've done it repeatedly and some of my nicest offspring came from crosses of the two.

Dhavalsp
02-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Quarantine would be the key...if you are concerned quarantine for 2-3 weeks more than your regular process.

Try the whole Hero fish thing if you are skeptical...but in general I feel you will be fine...

I have fish from Hans too, and I am looking to add one particular red variety that only asian discus would have...

Clawhammer
02-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Great news, thanks for the response gentlemen.

Skip
02-24-2017, 12:11 PM
adding ANY fish to your tank at anytime.. they should be QT.. even from the same seller.. bought at different time..

Akili
02-24-2017, 12:18 PM
adding ANY fish to your tank at anytime.. they should be QT.. even from the same seller.. bought at different time.. 100 % agree and I like to quarantine for six weeks.