PDA

View Full Version : can't get rid of micro bubbles

clark12
02-26-2017, 07:59 PM
i have a python with a 12'' suction and I've stuffed it with multiple different kinds of polishing floss and a roll of polishing material, i have a 200 micron sock as well after the tube stuffed with polishing floss. at a loss and looking for some more ideas. I've found a 100 micron sock, would that make a difference? aging is going to be difficult to say the least. please give me some more of your diy ideas. thanks

pastry
02-26-2017, 08:30 PM
You won't be able to get rid of them. But you can cut down on them. I use a fine mesh netting material over my input tube and only do warm water that matches the tank temperature 4 first half of my water change while it hit several walls in other obstacles in order to Splash and from what I am told help disperse some microbubbles. From there I go straight cold water. I am in South Carolina and this winter the cold water has not been that cold. My temperature in the tank is usually in the low mid-seventies after a water change but I have enough heaters that bring that temperature up gradually over probably 6 to 8 hours. I keep my tank around 80 or 82. If we ever have a winner that is cold then I usually get a couple plastic bins from Lowe's and fill them up and keep them in our guest bathroom if we do not have any guests.That way they are out of sight out of mind and don't look unsightly plus age water.

clark12
02-26-2017, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=pastry;1254080]You won't be able to get rid of them. But you can cut down on them. I use a fine mesh netting material over my input tube and only do warm water that matches the tank temperature 4 first half of my water change while it hit several walls in other obstacles in order to Splash and from what I am told help disperse some microbubbles. From there I go straight cold water. I am in South Carolina and this winter the cold water has not been that cold. My temperature in the tank is usually in the low mid-seventies after a water change but I have enough heaters that bring that temperature up gradually over probably 6 to 8 hours. I keep my tank around 80 or 82. If we ever have a winner that is cold then I usually get a couple plastic bins from Lowe's and fill them up and keep them in our guest bathroom if we do not have any guests.That way they are out of sight out of mind and don't look unsightly plus age water.[/QUOTE

thanks, i would imagine you have discus? does this bother them (your method)? is there a small tolerance for these bubbles or does it have to be absolute zero? i can cut them down for sure but they are still present. i live in north east ohio...in the snow belt. needless to say it gets cold so these bubbles pose a problem. i should mention that i don't have discus yet, i am doing a fish less cycle and hopefully in a month i will be housing kennys fish. trying to figure this out first

pastry
02-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Hmmm... they still do/act better to aged water but theyre fine without. There have been times they arent comfortable but only for 30 mins while im shoveling more safe into tank. I think for young fish then suck it up and age the first year in order to grow and prosper. Of course, im a hypricrite because i have some younger ones right now but not aging.

clark12
02-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Hmmm... they still do/act better to aged water but theyre fine without. There have been times they arent comfortable but only for 30 mins while im shoveling more safe into tank. I think for young fish then suck it up and age the first year in order to grow and prosper. Of course, im a hypricrite because i have some younger ones right now but not aging.

thanks pastry, theres a couple more things I'm gonna try first, i just ordered a 10 micron and a 5 micron filter sock. they are only $5 each. if that doesn't work i will have at least another $150-$200 in an aging setup. it will be in the basement so i need to buy a pump that is strong enough to pump about 12' up and 35'-40' a crossed the house then another 4' up into my main tank. i will hard pipe up to a bathroom cabinet with a valve then tubing from there. wife isn't gonna be happy about this.

pastry
02-26-2017, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that is why I do not usually age my water. My wife was not very happy about it! You just need to convince her that it is only temporary in order to grow them bigger so that they will look more impressive. With that much height then definitely get an extremely powerful pump. You lose a lot of gallons per power the more height. Many pumps will have an online diagram that let you know what gallons per hour you will be looking at per foot of elevation. Check out amazon. Also set it up in a manner that makes it easier on you each time. Just at least get through the first winter!

RobbieRobV
02-26-2017, 10:54 PM
i have a python with a 12'' suction and I've stuffed it with multiple different kinds of polishing floss and a roll of polishing material, i have a 200 micron sock as well after the tube stuffed with polishing floss. at a loss and looking for some more ideas. I've found a 100 micron sock, would that make a difference? aging is going to be difficult to say the least. please give me some more of your diy ideas. thanks

I've had luck with this at the end of my python....
https://www.amazon.com/INLINE-GARDEN-HOSE-ACTIVE-CARBON/dp/B00U1OQ02M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488163791&sr=8-1&keywords=carbon+spa+filter

I age my water in a 55g barrel but when I upgraded to my 125g, I was obviously a little short. So I do the 55g aged water and the rest from my tap with my python through one of those at the end. It is working great for me and I haven't had a single complaint about it so far. I've also used it when I've been in a pinch... Like forgetting to turn on my water heater in my aging barrel and realizing it after I've emptied out 90%+ from my tank. :eek: It's worked perfectly fine for me so far and I had a HUGE issue with microbubbles. Like millions of them everywhere.

Ryan925
02-27-2017, 12:34 AM
I use a 200 micron sock. Never needed it til this winter. Dissolved gas was much worse when cold temp. Works to keep bubbles to minimum

clark12
02-27-2017, 07:25 AM
thanks all of you for the input, as this is making me crazy. i can keep them to a minimum thats not a problem. i thought there couldn't be any. i am going to try these other things to see how they do. i will let the fish decide when i get them.

Kyla
02-27-2017, 08:09 AM
i would recommend a tube 2x as long, stuffed with sponges. 12" is not long enough to eliminate the bubbles. check out the success this member has wkth a longer tube: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126837-microbubbles-looking-for-some-innovation-to-tackle-theme

brewmaster15
02-27-2017, 08:34 AM
How much water are you changing at a time?

al

clark12
02-27-2017, 09:20 PM
How much water are you changing at a time?

al
i do a 35 gal change on my 75 gal. no discus in that tank yet but its the one i need to prepare for once i qt the new fish and grow them out for a bit before they go in the 75g. my qt tank is a 29g and is currently in a fish less cycle. i did a fishless cycle to get my colony big enough for the discus and no cross contamination with media.

clark12
02-27-2017, 09:35 PM
i would recommend a tube 2x as long, stuffed with sponges. 12" is not long enough to eliminate the bubbles. check out the success this member has wkth a longer tube: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126837-microbubbles-looking-for-some-innovation-to-tackle-theme

thanks kyla, i have a 30'' suction tube as well. i will give the is a shot. my ph doesnt change much at all so i would really like to take advantage of that.

pitdogg2
02-28-2017, 12:54 AM
I used to run my water into 3 five gallon buckets. Wait a few minutes and they dissipate then pour into tank.

jjduen
02-28-2017, 08:59 AM
I run mine through a home a carbon filter canister and then a 1 micron filter canister. Comes out with no bubbles or chlorine/chloramine.

pitdogg2
03-01-2017, 08:37 AM
I run mine through a home a carbon filter canister and then a 1 micron filter canister. Comes out with no bubbles or chlorine/chloramine.

I definitely see where this could have postive results for bubbles but I'm confused on how it removes chloramine. Seem to me that if it was that easy then the carbon we use in our aquariums would also remove ammonia. I wasn't aware that carbon would break the bond between chlorine and ammonia.

jjduen
03-01-2017, 09:01 AM
My area uses Chlorine not Chloramine and yes carbon will absorb chlorine from the water. And you can get highly active carbon cartridges that are designed to remove chlorine and chloramine.

I use carbon quite frequently in my lab for purification purposes to absorb various impurities from water and other types of solvents.

My test kits show 0 ppm.

brady
03-03-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm on a well and no matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of them.
The only thing that worked for me was to age, heat and aerate the water for 24 hrs.
Jay

pitdogg2
03-03-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm on a well and no matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of them.
The only thing that worked for me was to age, heat and aerate the water for 24 hrs.
Jay
Every well I've drank out in my life has had so much its as if it's carbonated (which it is) almost like soda pop. Run a glass of water it is so cloudy like milk it takes 4-5 minutes to clear out.
I agree that aging is the only way to avoid them and clear out the co2.

clark12
03-03-2017, 09:32 PM

jj can you send a link or pic of what you use? i will try one more time. i did fill my 30'' suction hose with polishing material and ran that into a 5 micron sock and got rid of the micro bubbles but it builds so much pressure that my python connections blew apart. yes i know i can slow the flow but that is defeating what I'm trying to do. not only get rid of these bubbles but cut my time down as much as possible. with your method how fast can you fill your tank and what size tank?

Kyla
03-03-2017, 10:28 PM
i would use less dense material to fill the python. i used sponges of varying ppi from my api filstar canister, and i left some gaps between them, as well as a gap right at the top of the syphon where the water is flowing in so there wasnt so much pressure there. i didnt use the polishing pads cuz they prevented flow and the tube would pop off the hose. and i when i put the sponges in i twisted them to leave channels, if u pack them too tight the tube also pops off. gotta play with it a bit but i really works once u find the right mix.

Kyla
03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
i dont use the Python anymore tho, i have a strong pump on my aging barrell and that makes refill many times faster. i cant remember if u already mentioned space as being an issue that prevents u from aging the water? i have my barrell in another room and a hose that runs behind the wall and thru a doorway to the tank. its way more efficient than my python, and zero bubbles.