PDA

View Full Version : Peas and swim bladder ...

scuba guy
02-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Would anyone share their success story feeding peas to their discus to correct a swim bladder problem?
How long is reasonable to wait to see results?

Background - my beautiful blue discus has a bloated bladder and he fights to stay down. He eats great - so I tried a few skin-less peas (thawed). He (she?) ate them quickly. I fed about two or three kernals. How many days should I do this and then expect results?

Thanks,

p.s. he is otherwise healthy. Color is great - he chases down food (beef heart mix) and is otherwise doing well.

Kyla
02-27-2017, 11:33 PM
u might want to post this in the emergency section for more advice. i think a lot of ppl use epsom salts for bloat. not sure of the quantities tho.

Akili
02-28-2017, 12:22 AM
u might want to post this in the emergency section for more advice. i think a lot of ppl use epsom salts for bloat. not sure of the quantities tho.

Normal Epsom salt treatment is 1 tablespoon for 10 gallons of water.

bluelagoon
02-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Since it is already constipated or blocked I would stop feeding beef heart and try more peas and go with the Epsom salts.

scuba guy
02-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Just curious if anyone has tried feeding peas, did it work, and how long it took?
thanks

Akili
02-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Just curious if anyone has tried feeding peas, did it work, and how long it took?
thanksWithin a day or two if they eat them and if they are not eating then Epsom salt is the way to go.

scuba guy
02-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Within a day or two if they eat them and if they are not eating then Epsom salt is the way to go.

Thanks ... He is eating them very well. I fed him 3 or 4 yesterday and will feed a couple today. The other discus go after them also.
I'll never feed my discus blood worms again. Right after feeding them blood worms, this discus developed the bladder problem. He's 5 years old and had only beef heart mix and dried discus pellets. Hopefully the peas will clear it up.

Salt would be tough because this is a 500 gallon show tank with lots of wood and crannies. Impossible to net a fish to hospitalize easily.

scuba guy
03-01-2017, 09:12 PM
It's been a couple of days and I don't see any real change in my discus' swim bladder. Maybe it's a bit smaller and he does seem to swim better, but I may be just wishful thinking.
He is eating the peas eagerly. I feed him two to four in the morning. Should I give it more time?