PDA

View Full Version : Question about Potassium Permanganate PP

hdhong
03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if I treat my tank with PP does it kill the beneficial bacteria? Can I use PP with the canister filter running at the same times, so it would disinfect the canister filter as well?

Thanks

Clawhammer
03-08-2017, 10:46 AM
If you stick to 2ppm of PP, your beneficial bacteria should be ok as long as it is well established. However, I have always found it difficult to maintain the pink color when running it through my filters, as PP will get used up pretty quickly attacking the copious amounts of bacteria and organic compounds that live in your filter. Of course, not treating the filters makes it more likely that the disease will remain in the tank after treatment. Furthermore, if you are treating for external parasites, multiple treatments over several days are recommended in order to kill off the parasite in it's various stages of lifecycle.

I have used PP quite a bit, recently I was able to successfully eradicate velvet from some Gourami's. I find it is most effective against opportunistic external infections that fish usually tolerate, but for some reason become an infestation.

Your best bet, if you want to treat the filters too, is to give your tank and filters a very good cleaning before treating with PP to minimize the additional organic material.

hdhong
03-08-2017, 01:04 PM
If you stick to 2ppm of PP, your beneficial bacteria should be ok as long as it is well established. However, I have always found it difficult to maintain the pink color when running it through my filters, as PP will get used up pretty quickly attacking the copious amounts of bacteria and organic compounds that live in your filter. Of course, not treating the filters makes it more likely that the disease will remain in the tank after treatment. Furthermore, if you are treating for external parasites, multiple treatments over several days are recommended in order to kill off the parasite in it's various stages of lifecycle.

I have used PP quite a bit, recently I was able to successfully eradicate velvet from some Gourami's. I find it is most effective against opportunistic external infections that fish usually tolerate, but for some reason become an infestation.

Your best bet, if you want to treat the filters too, is to give your tank and filters a very good cleaning before treating with PP to minimize the additional organic material.

Thanks Clawhammer.

Akili
03-08-2017, 01:09 PM
I use guidelines set out in this thread when using Potassium Permanganate .....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70066-Using-Potassium-Permanganate-aka-PP&highlight=Potassium+Permanganate

hdhong
03-08-2017, 01:33 PM
I use guidelines set out in this thread when using Potassium Permanganate .....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70066-Using-Potassium-Permanganate-aka-PP&highlight=Potassium+Permanganate

I saw that this morning when I was researching, but not sure if it would kill all the beneficial bacteria.