PDA

View Full Version : When to add back from qt?

Adam_Parker
03-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Hey guys I've had a roughly 3.5 to 4" dark angel from hans since the end of December. I had some time after initial 4 or 5 weeks of qt of the fish not seeming to eat.

Wasn't eating in qt by itself either so I added my smallest discus to qt with its. Ever since, it's eating just fine. All the other discus minus the one I moved over are 5" or larger. It didn't seem to be picked on, it just stayed by itself in the main tank and avoided food.

So is it a good idea to get the dark angel growing some before reintroducing it to the main tank, or when do you recommend? Thanks!

discuspaul
03-14-2017, 09:37 PM
No idea, Adam - it's a guessing game. How long were the Angel & your small discus together & how long did it take for the Angel to begin eating ?
If both fish are eating & it's been a few days since they've done that, then perhaps you can re-introduce both fish to their original tank venue.

Adam_Parker
03-14-2017, 09:43 PM
They have been together for about a week and a half now. It started eating immediately when I added the 3.5" red Marlboro.

discuspaul
03-14-2017, 09:51 PM
Well then Adam - give it a try - put them back where they were before & see what happens.
Was the discus eating too ?

Adam_Parker
03-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Everyone but the new dark angel ate in the main tank. Hence why I removed it.

discuspaul
03-14-2017, 09:54 PM
Ok, move them both back, and observe the Angel to ensure it keeps eating now.

Adam_Parker
03-15-2017, 02:27 PM
I think I may let the new one grow out some before adding it back. I didn't realize how much bigger my main tank discus were than this one. The red Marlboro I guess was a runt. It's stayed small. Maybe the reason it wasn't eating was because of how big the others were? Intimidating?

discuspaul
03-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Yes, it could be stressed through being pushed around - even a bit - and when stressed, some discus may stop eating.

Adam_Parker
03-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Quick update. Heater went out on the qt tank so it was an immediate move to the 125. This fish has made a full recovery. Full color, swimming all over, eating like a pig. So happy it recovered so well! Thanks

William1
03-21-2017, 07:35 AM
Sweet!