PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store recharged Purigen?

Jenene
03-15-2017, 08:11 PM
I run a liter bag of Purigen at a time in my sump and I have just recharged a bag and the other is not ready to come out yet. I remember reading somewhere that you should not let it dry out. Is this true? What is the best way to hold it while I wait for the other bag to be exhausted? Just trying to maximize it's use since it has a limited life span of recharges. Thanks!

Jack L
03-15-2017, 09:16 PM
i never read that, and i let it dry out. in fact, i keep it in the garage as it stinks.

Jenene
03-15-2017, 09:25 PM
i never read that, and i let it dry out. in fact, i keep it in the garage as it stinks.

It sure does stink! I did notice that when it dries out a powdery substance comes off of it. Not sure if the pellets deteriorate once they are dried back out. Coming out of the jar new- they are kind of moist.

discuspaul
03-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Yes, the Purigen beads do deteriorate and eventually turn to powder (and are then useless) when they dry out.
You must keep them moist/damp after any re-charge. Either leave them in a bucket of water after rinsing & conditioning with Prime until next usage, or place the rinsed/conditioned damp bag(s) in a zip-lock bag until next use.

Jenene
03-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Yes, the Purigen beads do deteriorate and eventually turn to powder (and are then useless) when they dry out.
You must keep them moist/damp after any re-charge. Either leave them in a bucket of water after rinsing & conditioning with Prime until next usage, or place the rinsed/conditioned damp bag(s) in a zip-lock bag until next use.

Ah ha!:idea2: I was not imagining that. Thank you!

Ryan925
03-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Ah ha!:idea2: I was not imagining that. Thank you!

Oh man do they stink. The little lady wasn't too happy to walk in upon opening the first bottle of purigen

I like to store my purigen in my filter :D

Jenene
03-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Oh man do they stink. The little lady wasn't too happy to walk in upon opening the first bottle of purigen

I like to store my purigen in my filter :D

You are right Ryan, that is the best place to keep it!

jim LI
03-16-2017, 09:08 AM

+1 on the zip lock bag

Jack L
03-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Didn't know about it deteriorating, mine have dried out at this point. Hope they aren't ruined. I bought in bulk and made my own bags, and don't run it all at the same time.

discuspaul
03-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Didn't know about it deteriorating, mine have dried out at this point. Hope they aren't ruined. I bought in bulk and made my own bags, and don't run it all at the same time.

You'll know it soon enough when you next use it.

If it starts to leach dust into your water column, you'll know the beads have broken down to dust and are useless.
I've even had the beads turn to dust when I left a bag in the bleach water for several days - can't remember how long it was, but it was obviously too long.

Jack L
03-16-2017, 07:04 PM
well, its in with water now.

does anyone freeze it while storing it to keep it from growing slime bacteria?

Neptune
03-16-2017, 07:55 PM
I would not freeze it. Just thinking out loud but freezing may break the beads.

Jack L
03-16-2017, 08:46 PM
I would not freeze it. Just thinking out loud but freezing may break the beads.

i thought same about it making cracks...and crumbling, but found that idea on fishlore ( i think) when searching on this topic

Hart24601
03-28-2017, 03:08 PM
I keep mine in tap water in a quart jar like used for canning. Seals up well and I just keep them in the cabinet in the laundry room. I have been using the same beads for quite a while now, over a year I think and I have not had issues slime in storage, smell or degradation. Recharged them maybe 6 times? I have a about 1L worth I swap out every couple months and recharge while the other set is in tank.

Jenene
03-28-2017, 04:11 PM
I keep mine in tap water in a quart jar like used for canning. Seals up well and I just keep them in the cabinet in the laundry room. I have been using the same beads for quite a while now, over a year I think and I have not had issues slime in storage, smell or degradation. Recharged them maybe 6 times? I have a about 1L worth I swap out every couple months and recharge while the other set is in tank.

That is a great tip! You sound very organized ;) I have a bunch of those in the basement. Perfect. Thanks!