PDA

View Full Version : Drift wood

zippy
03-16-2017, 03:27 PM
I just bought a piece of Malaysian drift wood from the LFS is there anything special I need to do before I place it into my tank ?
Thanks,
Zippy

Dam777
03-16-2017, 03:56 PM
I always soak for as long as it takes for the leaching to stop. Draining and refilling every other day.

jim LI
03-16-2017, 03:58 PM
i boiled mine for 2 hours to make sure i killed anything that might affect the tank.

Ryan925
03-16-2017, 04:19 PM
I just bought a piece of Malaysian drift wood from the LFS is there anything special I need to do before I place it into my tank ?
Thanks,
Zippy

Definitely soak. Boiling speeds it up. It will release a lot or tannins. If you do end up with tannins in the tank purigen works wonders

Filip
03-16-2017, 08:08 PM
I guess im a litle paranoid my self , but i always sterilize the wood with strong PP sol . or a bleach-water sol. prior using it .
If it fits and its not too big , boiling it with a lot of salt is the easiest way to sterilize , speed up leaching tannins and speed up soaking proces all at the same time.

zippy
03-16-2017, 08:49 PM
What is a PP solution and what portion beach/water solution. Sorry for the questions but I'm new to this.
Thanks
Zippy

Jenene
03-16-2017, 09:04 PM
What is a PP solution and what portion beach/water solution. Sorry for the questions but I'm new to this.
Thanks
Zippy

PP is Potassium Permanganate many use it to sterilize tanks and equipment. I have not used it.

Here is an article that may be helpful. I personally would be weary of bleach since it would be imperative that all of it is leached back out. See if this article helps at all.

http://driftwood-pieces.com/aquarium/

zippy
03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Thanks Jenene,