PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting FX6 Canister Filter and 150G tank

hdhong
03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Hello all,

Could you guys give me any suggestion on how to disinfecting my FX6 Canister Filter and 150G tank? I'm currently have 3 discus tanks 40G, 150G, and 75G. My 40G tanks has 3 jumbo discus, my 75G has 6 discus ranging from 4" to 6", and my 150G has 7 discus that are 4" to 6" that are now currently have problem with all the discus. I'm currently treating them with Kenamycin and they are getting better after 6 days of treating. I'm planning to move all my jumbo discus from my 40G and some of the big discus in my 75G into the 150G tank. Then move all the 7 discus from my 150G into the 75G tank once they get better. Before I move them what's the best way to disinfect both the FX6 canister (including sponge and medias) and my 150G tank?

Filip
03-17-2017, 02:10 PM
I really don't get the point of moving them around your tanks HD hong and the point for sterilization too .
Would you care to explain why ?

Anyway the easiest way to sterilize the tank along with the canister and all the equipment in it is to put hot water i.e. 40 degree C and pour 2-3 gallons of bleach in the water and leave the filters running during one night .

Other day you just wipe tank glasses change 100% water , clean the filter materials ,put 5 folded dose of dechlor , and you are set and ready to go .

hdhong
03-17-2017, 02:37 PM
I really don't get the point of moving them around your tanks HD hong and the point for sterilization too .
Would you care to explain why ?

Anyway the easiest way to sterilize the tank along with the canister and all the equipment in it is to put hot water i.e. 40 degree C and pour 2-3 gallons of bleach in the water and leave the filters running during one night .

Other day you just wipe tank glasses change 100% water , clean the filter materials ,put 5 folded dose of dechlor , and you are set and ready to go .

Thanks Filip,

Reason I want to move them around because I want to turn my 150G tank into a display tank with all the Jumbo adult discus in it. I don't want to get the jumbo adult discus infected to what already in the tank. That's why I want to disinfected first before I move them.

LoGeek
03-17-2017, 03:20 PM
I add hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, to the water and let the filter run. It turns into water in 24h.

hdhong
03-17-2017, 03:50 PM
I add hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, to the water and let the filter run. It turns into water in 24h.

Does hydrogen peroxide really kill all the infected stuff in the tank? How much do you use for 150 gallons tank?

Skip
03-17-2017, 05:02 PM
OP.. just use bleach..
i only use hydrogen peroxide on dry surfaces.. i spray the entire inside surface down. but i prefer bleach :)

LoGeek
03-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Does hydrogen peroxide really kill all the infected stuff in the tank? How much do you use for 150 gallons tank?

Yes it does.

This is the recommended method by Stendker and they advice to use 0.5 litres of 30% hydrogen peroxide solution per 180 litres of water.

Bleach is also a good method. But just because it seems to be used by everyone in this thread does not make it the only good one.

Many people in Europe use H2O2 because it's cheap and you don't have to worry about not having rinced the tank well enough after treatment, or use dechlorinator.

Ryan925
03-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Yes it does.

This is the recommended method by Stendker and they advice to use 0.5 litres of 30% hydrogen peroxide solution per 180 litres of water.

Bleach is also a good method. But just because it seems to be used by everyone in this thread does not make it the only good one.

Many people in Europe use H2O2 because it's cheap and you don't have to worry about not having rinced the tank well enough after treatment, or use dechlorinator.

Makes sense to me

bluelagoon
03-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Vinegar is another good disinfectant.

Ryan925
03-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Vinegar is another good disinfectant.

+1 vinegar has tons of household uses.

Clawhammer
03-18-2017, 02:35 PM
I would use bleach. Vinegar is just as deadly (acetic acid) and I don't believe it can be neutralized with prime.

hdhong
03-18-2017, 08:58 PM
I will try Hydrogen Peroxide and I think it probably safer than bleach especially with the foam inside the canister filter. Thanks everyone for your help. Hope this works.

hdhong
03-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Yes it does.

Thanks LoGeek.

DJW
03-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Peroxide in the 30% strength isn't cheap, but if you use this method you need to change all the water after the 24-hour treatment.

LoGeek
03-19-2017, 03:30 AM
Peroxide in the 30% strength isn't cheap, but if you use this method you need to change all the water after the 24-hour treatment.

Yes I change all the water after 24h.

Over here it's cheap. It's a standard product at the hardware store.

bluelagoon
03-19-2017, 08:48 AM
I would use bleach. Vinegar is just as deadly (acetic acid) and I don't believe it can be neutralized with prime.

You don't need to neutralize vinegar;it is quite safe for fish tanks.Some folks use it instead of PH down to lower their PH.Altho I've never used it for that.

bluelagoon
03-19-2017, 08:51 AM
+1 vinegar has tons of household uses.

Yes it is also used in nursing homes and hospitals for disinfecting of personal equipment.

Filip
03-19-2017, 12:00 PM
I will also add PP - pottasium permanganate as a sterilizing solution to this thread . "Deep purple " solution over night shoud do the trick and plus you can see by tue colouring if it got neutralized during the process and add more if needed .
I would also like to ask and learn about the vinegar -water solution ratio used for strilization. How much vinegar should be enough ?

And OP whatever method you choose , don't forget to rinse and clean thoroughly the filter materials afterwards.