PDA

View Full Version : Community Tank (new setup help)

smedmonds
03-20-2017, 12:10 PM
I have a 110 gallon tall tank that I would like to house maybe about 4-5 discus and then go with a community of other fish. My thoughts if I go with a smaller amount of Discus my water changes wouldn't have to be as frequent(was hoping for 3-4 weeks). Have yet to decide on real plants, canisters or BA(sump). Was leaning towards sump. My decisions heavily weigh on how much time I have to put in maintenance when I have a couple little ones running around that take up the majority of my time. Thoughts on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Akili
03-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Hi, not trying to discourage you,just being honest,if you do not have the time and convenience then Discus may not be for you,Discus need more frequent water changes. 3-4 weeks is not going to work.Wait and see if someone chimes with an idea that may work for you. In the meantime read up all the stickies in the beginner's section.

smedmonds
03-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Hi, not trying to discourage you,just being honest,if you do not have the time and convenience then Discus may not be for you,Discus need more frequent water changes. 3-4 weeks is not going to work.Wait and see if someone chimes with an idea that may work for you. In the meantime read up all the stickies in the beginner's section. Not discouraged. Just asking questions and weighing my options. I kind of thought by going with the bare minimum of Discus would help keep the water quality better for longer period of time. I appreciate the response!

gators111
03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Yeah, 3-4 weeks is too long. However, you could look into an automatic water change system. There are numerous Youtube videos and websites around on how to set one up.

smedmonds
03-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Yeah, 3-4 weeks is too long. However, you could look into an automatic water change system. There are numerous Youtube videos and websites around on how to set one up. Thanks! I will look into that. Any idea how well they work? Cost?

gators111
03-21-2017, 04:12 PM
There are many different types. From constant flow drip systems to ones that use sprinkler system components to due scheduled changes. Look around the interwebs.

Jack L
03-21-2017, 08:50 PM
i would add the Discus are not a community type fish....for various reasons.

Filip
03-22-2017, 04:12 AM
5-6 discus is a minimal number to keep discus .
If you buy 6 fullgrown discus and feed them dry foods lightly 1-2 times daily ,IMO you can get away with one +50% WC weekly as a minimum .I personally wouldnt recomend any less than that.
Try not to go overboard with other fish too , and try to find discus compatible types of fish.

smedmonds
03-24-2017, 08:51 AM
There are many different types. From constant flow drip systems to ones that use sprinkler system components to due scheduled changes. Look around the interwebs. thank you. I have been able to check out a few systems. trying to gather some more info on this subject

smedmonds
03-24-2017, 08:52 AM
5-6 discus is a minimal number to keep discus .
If you buy 6 fullgrown discus and feed them dry foods lightly 1-2 times daily ,IMO you can get away with one +50% WC weekly as a minimum .I personally wouldnt recomend any less than that.
Try not to go overboard with other fish too , and try to find discus compatible types of fish. thanks for the feedback. I am looking into an automatic water change system.