PDA

View Full Version : What filter(s)? Type/Brand

TheLankster
03-21-2017, 09:38 PM
So I am going to invest in my first discus tank. My plans are to have a 40-55 gallon tank, lightly planted (most likely potted) with a Super Naturals (rock) bottom.

I am going to buy probably 4-6 2.5-3inch Discus from Discus Hans.

I have been searching CraigsList/iPhone apps nonstop for the tank to buy, but i need help in deciding on the filter.

What is best for the fish in this case? I plan on having a few mats of plants, maybe one or two higher plants in the front and an anubias with a little growth in between.

Light will be LED.

I have owned plenty of freshwater fish over the years, but this will be my first strictly Discus tank.

TheLankster
03-21-2017, 09:43 PM
Also, if anyone else has any important tips or questions please do feel free to help.

I am currently taking notes on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

Ryan925
03-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Also, if anyone else has any important tips or questions please do feel free to help.

I am currently taking notes on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

Attempting to grow fish of that size in a planted tank with gravel isn't the best environment for optimum growth. Take it from someone who started off on the wrong foot

Mark N
03-22-2017, 02:17 AM
Attempting to grow fish of that size in a planted tank with gravel isn't the best environment for optimum growth. Take it from someone who started off on the wrong foot

X2. Agreed. Start bare bottom. When fish are grown up, Then you can decide if you would like substrate.

Sponge filters in tank work well and help put oxygen in the water. They are easy to clean quickly. Also very useful if you have to set up hospital tank quickly. It is helpful to have two running at all times. A good hob filter or canister filter in addition would be a good idea. A filter that allows you to add or remove carbon or purigen is helpful as well.

Filip
03-22-2017, 04:51 AM

+1 .

Your tank is smallest size recommended for keeping 5 discus .
If you want to go with sand and plants buy your self full grown discus and save your self a lot of headaches and disappointment .If you do decide to start with 3" juvvies than start barebottom until you better understand the needs of discus for fresh and clean water .
After they grow , you can cut down feedings , you can put some half inch sand on the bottom and put some potted plants and decor but still not too much .
Good luck and please inform your self better about discus needs and their delicate nature about water quality before you take the plunge .

jim LI
03-22-2017, 08:55 AM
I use 2 - eheim 2217 canister filters with hydor in line heaters on my 72 gallon. you can't go wrong with eheims.

emil
03-22-2017, 11:37 AM
I do use Hydor filters and they work great and have no issues with them. http://www.hydor.com/eng/prodotti-tecnici/filters/professional-external-canister-filter.php

jmf3460
03-22-2017, 02:35 PM
+1 .

Your tank is smallest size recommended for keeping 5 discus .
If you want to go with sand and plants buy your self full grown discus and save your self a lot of headaches and disappointment .If you do decide to start with 3" juvvies than start barebottom until you better understand the needs of discus for fresh and clean water .
After they grow , you can cut down feedings , you can put some half inch sand on the bottom and put some potted plants and decor but still not too much .
Good luck and please inform your self better about discus needs and their delicate nature about water quality before you take the plunge .

I will echo Filip's advice here OP, your plan is really not a great way to begin your discus hobby, more of a plan for adult discus and expert level discus and planted tank keepers. Not saying that you aren't either of each but you really have made it difficult to achieve success. Most people who start out with juvies in a planted tank end up in the disease emergency room within the first month or less. Growing out juvies requires much cleaner water than is achievable in a planted tank. Also one major obstacle I see personally is your tank size. 40gallons is not big enough for adult discus, period. 55 gallons is borderline big enough. Unless you plan to get a 75 gallon or larger eventually, I wouldn't even consider discus at all. But it can be done in a 55gallon barebottom tank with possibly some light sand and driftwood. Would you consider a biotope theme tank instead??

TheLankster
03-22-2017, 02:46 PM
I will echo Filip's advice here OP, your plan is really not a great way to begin your discus hobby, more of a plan for adult discus and expert level discus and planted tank keepers. Not saying that you aren't either of each but you really have made it difficult to achieve success. Most people who start out with juvies in a planted tank end up in the disease emergency room within the first month or less. Growing out juvies requires much cleaner water than is achievable in a planted tank. Also one major obstacle I see personally is your tank size. 40gallons is not big enough for adult discus, period. 55 gallons is borderline big enough. Unless you plan to get a 75 gallon or larger eventually, I wouldn't even consider discus at all. But it can be done in a 55gallon barebottom tank with possibly some light sand and driftwood. Would you consider a biotope theme tank instead??

I mean, i am considering anything im open to whatever is best for the fish. I was under the understanding that i would be okay with 6 juvies for awhile until they start getting to big, then i planned to either get a big display tank or move some into a seperate tank. I would buy full grown guys but the price tag is just too much for a college student lol.

I am totally cool with starting bare bottom though, but it would hurt even to throw some of that nice stone at like half an inch? The juvies would still be harmed by that?

I am more concerned if i should get HOB filters/canister filters/that type of things. Because right now on my normal freshwater i have two 50 gal HOBs running and im sick of hearing the damn water and filter go every night. I want something quiet but also really effective.

TheLankster
03-22-2017, 02:48 PM
So you guys really dont like the idea of a 40 gallon. Is a 55 gallon enough? for 6 juvies to have some substrate and a few plants here and there?

I think some of you guys are just really into the discus and kind of baby them if were being honest, they are animals lol. but i am the noobie here so im not gonna act like i know better. You guys say the word and i will follow.

Filip
03-22-2017, 03:00 PM
55 gallon tank is considered minumum for keeping 5-6 fullgrown discus .
5-6 discus is considered minimum number , otherwise weaker discus might get beaten and chased until they get sick and die from bullying.
Baby discus are very delicate about water quality and they require at least 3 big feedings per day and a daily water change in about 50% .
Even the thin substrate can trap enough dirt to compromise baby discus health , and make them sick .

You can get away with 40 gallon only for a first few months (3-4 ) until they grow and than you would have to upgrade to bigger tankage .
Leaving only 3-4 grown discus is not an option because someone is going to get beaten to sickness .
Keeping baby discus in a substrate tank and without daily maintenance and WCs can easily end up with sick discus and big disappointment.

Now I just threw a couple of hard learned facts about discus and I hope you will end up using them wisely

As for a filter , canister is my personal favorite because they are quiet , have big capacity for filter materials and have good flow for an efficient mechanical filtration , but YMMV.

TheLankster
03-22-2017, 04:57 PM
55 gallon tank is considered minumum for keeping 5-6 fullgrown discus .
5-6 discus is considered minimum number , otherwise weaker discus might get beaten and chased until they get sick and die from bullying.
Baby discus are very delicate about water quality and they require at least 3 big feedings per day and a daily water change in about 50% .
Even the thin substrate can trap enough dirt to compromise baby discus health , and make them sick .

You can get away with 40 gallon only for a first few months (3-4 ) until they grow and than you would have to upgrade to bigger tankage .
Leaving only 3-4 grown discus is not an option because someone is going to get beaten to sickness .
Keeping baby discus in a substrate tank and without daily maintenance and WCs can easily end up with sick discus and big disappointment.

Now I just threw a couple of hard learned facts about discus and I hope you will end up using them wisely

As for a filter , canister is my personal favorite because they are quiet , have big capacity for filter materials and have good flow for an efficient mechanical filtration , but YMMV.

Alright. I'll go bare bones until they get older. It's nbd, whatever is best for the fishies.

I've been trying to find some cheap canisters on Craigslist and stuff so I'll probably go with one of them and maybe my HOB filter that doesn't make noise just for the added.

Any other important tips for me?

Also, any other essential things I need for tank besides light/filter/heat

How about bubbles? I have a nice bubbler piece that my regular fish love. Would that be good for the tank or would it just gather bacteria

Ryan925
03-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Alright. I'll go bare bones until they get older. It's nbd, whatever is best for the fishies.

I've been trying to find some cheap canisters on Craigslist and stuff so I'll probably go with one of them and maybe my HOB filter that doesn't make noise just for the added.

Any other important tips for me?

Also, any other essential things I need for tank besides light/filter/heat

How about bubbles? I have a nice bubbler piece that my regular fish love. Would that be good for the tank or would it just gather bacteria

Amazon has good prices on canisters. I run the eheim 4+ 600 on my 75 and love it.

You can use air stones but as long as you have good surface agitation it isn't a must.

Also anything you use from another tank be sure to sanitize. You don't want to risk cross contamination

Another really good thing to have is a heater controller. Inkbirds are great and inexpensive

Mark N
03-23-2017, 11:19 AM
I have a 65 gallon tank with 5 Discus in it. I currently run 1 power head with a 40ppi sponge filter, two yes two Eheim pro 4 -350 canister filters, and one air operated sponge filter.
One of the canister filters is run reverse flow through substrate,DIY pcv tubing.

Heater -get a bit oversized for the tank. Most are only made for a 10 degree rise in temperature. For instance if your home is 68 degrees and you only get 10 degree rise, your at 78 degrees. Your fish will most likely need to be between 81 and 86 degrees.
The Eheim heater seems to be popular here. Titanium heaters seem to be a good choice also. I use an inline hydro 300 watt on my 65 gallon tank.

Hope this is helpful.

Ryan925
03-23-2017, 11:25 AM
I have a 65 gallon tank with 5 Discus in it. I currently run 1 power head with a 40ppi sponge filter, two yes two Eheim pro 4 -350 canister filters, and one air operated sponge filter.
One of the canister filters is run reverse flow through substrate,DIY pcv tubing.

Heater -get a bit oversized for the tank. Most are only made for a 10 degree rise in temperature. For instance if your home is 68 degrees and you only get 10 degree rise, your at 78 degrees. Your fish will most likely need to be between 81 and 86 degrees.
The Eheim heater seems to be popular here. Titanium heaters seem to be a good choice also. I use an inline hydro 300 watt on my 65 gallon tank.

Hope this is helpful.

I use a fluavl e 300 and an aqueon pro 250. Both do a great job. I keep my house around 68 in the winter and tank around 82.5-83 with no issue. Both are connected to an inkbird.

DISCUS STU
03-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Sorry to come late to party but yes I made the same mistake assuming that I could raise juveniles in a planted tank with sand as opposed to gravel. These fish were sourced from a seller on this forum and were probably a little smaller, about 1.5" or so, bu of the the six, three ultimately didn't make it and all where constantly getting bacterial infections that I would then have treat in a bb qt tank.

a 55 gal. is really the minimum for the number of fish you're going to keep if you'd like to raise them to a decent size. After they've grown to a good size, maybe 5" or so you may be able to put them into a planted tank but I wouldn't assume that the benefits of having plants outweigh the possible detriments in regard to bacteria and other problems.

I use old fashioned 2215 or 2217 (now called something else) in circuit with the first one having all the mechanical media while the 2nd one has all the bio media (Ehfisubstrat), UV come off of these as the last stage. Many use sumps, but I'm lazy and go with what I know and am comfortable with. Water changes are about 50% every 3-4 days though you can never do enough water changes.

Neptune
03-23-2017, 10:34 PM
SunSun canister filters have performed well for me on my planted tanks. A lot of bang for the buck with them.

Kyla
03-23-2017, 11:09 PM
having aquariums myself for decades before adopting some discus from kijiji i was also of the opinion that discus keepers promoting bare bottom tanks and daily water changes were a bit whack. i found out the hard way how wrong i was. u r getting really good advice which, if followed, will save u tons of stress and $ in the long run.

Ryan925
03-24-2017, 12:59 AM
having aquariums myself for decades before adopting some discus from kijiji i was also of the opinion that discus keepers promoting bare bottom tanks and daily water changes were a bit whack. i found out the hard way how wrong i was. u r getting really good advice which, if followed, will save u tons of stress and $ in the long run.

+1 I was riding the same boat Kyla was.

Do it right from the start no doubt

TheLankster
03-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I only need one canister right? If I buy a canister that can do up to 75-100 I shouldn't need another filter should I?

gluedandscrewed
03-25-2017, 10:59 AM
the KISS principal,,,,ph, clean water and temp.....IF we are to be judged by the number of dead fish in the trash can we all qualify as experts, mine? 9 discus raised from dime size, now about 3 inches,,no tank cycling, no chemical filtration, only particulates, planted tank, sand on bottom....... again , water, ph and temp will keep the fish happy everything else is nice to have but unnecessary and expensive. you can buy a SunSun canister filter with 9 watt UV bulb for less than $100 delivered, a fraction of what you pay for one in the fish store, chinese but actually works great,,,,,

Neptune
03-25-2017, 11:16 AM
The filter part of the SunSun is pretty solid. The UV part is a bit sketchy, there is not enough contact/dwell time the way the UV is designed into the canister.
So, buy a Sunsun for the filter/value, consider the UV more or less useless.

gluedandscrewed
03-25-2017, 12:54 PM
i have read that the dwell time is too short for sterilization so i installed a ball valve in the discharge line and every now and than just cut down the water flow rate for a couple of days hoping that will help, but i am tatally happy with the cheap chinese filter,, even tho i hate to say it,,,,,

TheLankster
03-25-2017, 11:19 PM
The filter part of the SunSun is pretty solid. The UV part is a bit sketchy, there is not enough contact/dwell time the way the UV is designed into the canister.
So, buy a Sunsun for the filter/value, consider the UV more or less useless.

How about Fluval 306? For a 50 gal

gluedandscrewed
03-26-2017, 07:59 AM
dont know what the 306 is rated but i would get the biggest one i could,,,what no manufacturer will tell you is how the gph were obtained,,,what the test parameters were,,, type of media, amount of media, head pressure, etc,,i think most of the filters would herniate them selves trying to pump out the stated gph in the real world,, you can always put a $2 valve inline and regulate the flow if its excessive,, only way to tell the real tank turnover rate is to test it in your set up....

modealings
03-26-2017, 08:29 AM
2 quick ideas - especially for saving money.

1. Why not just use 2 sponge filters in a grow out tank? IMO the maintenance can't be beat. While WC's are a necessity, many would argue that frequent wipe downs of the tank are important too. A canister filter adds significantly more surface area that will be difficult to wipe down - tubes, canister, etc. Two sponges and a pump will likely only cost $30. You can rinse a sponge in seconds, whereas canisters require significantly more work.

2. UV sterilizers can only get what is in your water column. Any organism living in your substrate or on the tank walls will not be killed. May be a waste of money if you are doing large daily water changes.

If I was starting over again I would invest more in making water changes easier (aging barrels, faster pump, python, etc). Best of luck.

Ryan925
03-26-2017, 01:05 PM
2 quick ideas - especially for saving money.

1. Why not just use 2 sponge filters in a grow out tank? IMO the maintenance can't be beat. While WC's are a necessity, many would argue that frequent wipe downs of the tank are important too. A canister filter adds significantly more surface area that will be difficult to wipe down - tubes, canister, etc. Two sponges and a pump will likely only cost $30. You can rinse a sponge in seconds, whereas canisters require significantly more work.

2. UV sterilizers can only get what is in your water column. Any organism living in your substrate or on the tank walls will not be killed. May be a waste of money if you are doing large daily water changes.

If I was starting over again I would invest more in making water changes easier (aging barrels, faster pump, python, etc). Best of luck.

I would say it's all personal preference. Not everyone enjoys seeing sponges in their tanks. Growout tanks are also display tanks for some of us. My canister takes me about 5 mins to clean. Simple. I clean while tank is draining. No extra or wasted time

As far as uv goes they have many benefits. The in tank and in filter ones are gimmicks. All of these other $100 or less uv units don't give you much benefit either. For a quality uv you are looking in the $300+ range like the emperor Aquatic, aqua uv, etc. When I finish my sump I will be running a 40w aqua uv unit.

Many on this forum will knock uv because they don't believe in it or believe it's "needed" that doesn't mean that it doesn't have benefits when used properly

modealings
03-26-2017, 02:48 PM
I would say it's all personal preference. Not everyone enjoys seeing sponges in their tanks. Growout tanks are also display tanks for some of us. My canister takes me about 5 mins to clean. Simple. I clean while tank is draining. No extra or wasted time

As far as uv goes they have many benefits. The in tank and in filter ones are gimmicks. All of these other $100 or less uv units don't give you much benefit either. For a quality uv you are looking in the $300+ range like the emperor Aquatic, aqua uv, etc. When I finish my sump I will be running a 40w aqua uv unit.

Many on this forum will knock uv because they don't believe in it or believe it's "needed" that doesn't mean that it doesn't have benefits when used properly

Ryan - completely agree on the personal preference. Was just suggesting a low cost alternative that can likely produce the same results.

Ryan925
03-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Ryan - completely agree on the personal preference. Was just suggesting a low cost alternative that can likely produce the same results.

Of course. Filtration is always a debate as everyone has their own preference. There are many ways to skin a cat. To each there own of course

TheLankster
03-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Currently purchasing Eheim Jager 250 watt heater...

looking for the other piece

TheLankster
03-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Another question...what type of fish can i keep in the tank with juvie discus? any? Or should i just wait until theyve grown.

Asking for algae cleaning purposes. I know ir ead somethig about a type of shrimp that cleans the algae

Ryan925
03-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Another question...what type of fish can i keep in the tank with juvie discus? any? Or should i just wait until theyve grown.

Asking for algae cleaning purposes. I know ir ead somethig about a type of shrimp that cleans the algae

Shrimp are great for algae but also tasty morsels for discus:)

TheLankster
03-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Shrimp are great for algae but also tasty morsels for discus:)

Even the juvies eat em?

And they cant be too expensive lol..

Im picking up a 55 gallon tall tank tomorrow..all i need now is a canister

cjvdhx
03-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Greetings! I am running a hydor 600 series canister on my 65 gallon planted discus tank that houses 4 x 4" stendker discus! I love the canister does a great job! I am also running a hydor nano wave circulation pump.
https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Professional-External-Canister-Filter/dp/B00CRIDEJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490577600&sr=8-1&keywords=hydro+600+canister

gluedandscrewed
03-27-2017, 06:59 AM
have a canister thats been running 24/7 for bout 15 years now, its been great except for the twist and lock hose connectors that appear similar to the hydor, an absolute major PTA..

Filip
03-27-2017, 08:15 AM

It would be much wiser to start discus only until you get to know their feeding and cleaning routines . You can always add other fish couple of months later once they are a bit grown and well adjusted with their immune systems boosted enough .

Ryan925
03-27-2017, 11:57 AM

With the amount of required wcs algae shouldn't really be an issue so long as you don't have too much food or lighting

I noticed I started to get some algae when feeding pellets. Using a small measuring spoon really helps with amount

TheLankster
03-27-2017, 06:09 PM
With the amount of required wcs algae shouldn't really be an issue so long as you don't have too much food or lighting

I noticed I started to get some algae when feeding pellets. Using a small measuring spoon really helps with amount

Sounds good

seanyuki
03-28-2017, 02:25 AM
The Aquaclear 110 is a good HOB filter for yr new 55 gallons tank......just my 2 cents

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/aquaclear-110-power-filter.html

TheLankster
03-28-2017, 11:52 AM
The Aquaclear 110 is a good HOB filter for yr new 55 gallons tank......just my 2 cents

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/aquaclear-110-power-filter.html

I actually have two of the 55 gallon ones running on my 20 gallon. One the fan broke and it doesnt work anymore and the other is starting to crap out on me too..

Im just tired of HOB filters tbh. Feel they are loud and annoying.

Ryan925
03-28-2017, 04:24 PM
I actually have two of the 55 gallon ones running on my 20 gallon. One the fan broke and it doesnt work anymore and the other is starting to crap out on me too..

Im just tired of HOB filters tbh. Feel they are loud and annoying.

I really like my eheim canister. It is essentially silent however I am in the process of building a sump out of a 40b

TheLankster
03-28-2017, 05:54 PM
I really like my eheim canister. It is essentially silent however I am in the process of building a sump out of a 40b

Yea too much $$$ for me to buy new. Am probably gonna buy some guys fluval 306 off iPhone app.

I did cop a Eheim heater though. Had great reviews on amazon.

Ive never ran a canister before, do i need to buy extra hoses or powerheads/etc/etc.

Ryan925
03-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Yea too much $$$ for me to buy new. Am probably gonna buy some guys fluval 306 off iPhone app.

I did cop a Eheim heater though. Had great reviews on amazon.

Ive never ran a canister before, do i need to buy extra hoses or powerheads/etc/etc.

It depends. The hoses will have been cut for the previous owners tank so may fit yours may not. Power heads shouldn't be needed. Keep in mind discus don't like a lot of flow

Be sure to sterilize any used filter

If it does seem like you need more circulation hydor nano pumps are gteat

alron2
03-28-2017, 10:50 PM
Which hydor nano pump and many would you recommend for a sand bottom 72 inch 100 gallon discus show tank? No plants but drift wood and a few rocks.
Thanks
Ron

Ryan925
03-28-2017, 11:02 PM
Which hydor nano pump and many would you recommend for a sand bottom 72 inch 100 gallon discus show tank? No plants but drift wood and a few rocks.
Thanks
Ron

I can't remember which was the one I had. It was a 425 or 565. Was running one in my 75 when I had plants. Has since been removed. It looks like they have a 3rd gen of the koralia now and those move some water if the ratings are accurate.

TheLankster
03-28-2017, 11:51 PM
It depends. The hoses will have been cut for the previous owners tank so may fit yours may not. Power heads shouldn't be needed. Keep in mind discus don't like a lot of flow

Be sure to sterilize any used filter

If it does seem like you need more circulation hydor nano pumps are gteat

How do you properly sterilize?

Filip
03-29-2017, 01:45 AM
How do you properly sterilize?

Just run the canister with all the filter materials in it in a bucket or a tank with bleach / water 1/19 ratio solution for a couple of hours.
Rinse well with water afterwards and let it dry before you use it again .

TheLankster
03-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Just run the canister with all the filter materials in it in a bucket or a tank with bleach / water 1/19 ratio solution for a couple of hours.
Rinse well with water afterwards and let it dry before you use it again .

Alright sounds good!

Getting my tank today.. All i need is a canister and i can start to cycle :)

Davidzil
03-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Keep in mind if buying used canister filters, you might want to replace the seals if they are dry, plus you want to keep them lubricated for a good seal.
Keep spares, just in case.

TheLankster
03-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Keep in mind if buying used canister filters, you might want to replace the seals if they are dry, plus you want to keep them lubricated for a good seal.
Keep spares, just in case.

Will do. Thanks for the tip

TheLankster
03-29-2017, 10:35 PM
Just got my tank :bounce:

Its finally getting real :o

Gonna clean this guy out real good when i get home tomorrow and fill it up with water. its okay if that water ages awhile in the tank right? I cant start cycling until i buy the canister (probably a week or two from now)

Ryan925
03-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Just got my tank :bounce:

Its finally getting real :o

Gonna clean this guy out real good when i get home tomorrow and fill it up with water. its okay if that water ages awhile in the tank right? I cant start cycling until i buy the canister (probably a week or two from now)

Why leave the water sitting in it for a couple weeks without running?

TheLankster
03-30-2017, 08:58 AM
Why leave the water sitting in it for a couple weeks without running?

I don't have my filter yet and I wanna make sure that the tank holds water. Bought it used lol.

Ryan925
03-30-2017, 09:58 AM
I don't have my filter yet and I wanna make sure that the tank holds water. Bought it used lol.

Ah makes sense although I probably would want whoever I bought it from to have it full of water before purchase

TheLankster
03-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Ah makes sense although I probably would want whoever I bought it from to have it full of water before purchase

Ahah yea I made sure to ask it holds water? About 10 times.

Only paid $30 for a 55 gallon so we'll see today if it's in shape.

I gotta empty out my 20 gallon now and bring my fish to my LFS. Kinda sad seeing them go :/ . They've been with me for a while. I have a blood red parrot and 3 rams..my one German blue is super gorgeous I feel like the fish stores gotta throw me $5 for him or something! Lol

Ryan925
03-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Ahah yea I made sure to ask it holds water? About 10 times.

Only paid $30 for a 55 gallon so we'll see today if it's in shape.

I gotta empty out my 20 gallon now and bring my fish to my LFS. Kinda sad seeing them go :/ . They've been with me for a while. I have a blood red parrot and 3 rams..my one German blue is super gorgeous I feel like the fish stores gotta throw me $5 for him or something! Lol

Take your time and do everything right from the start. Yo7 will be glad you did. Take it from someone that made some major changes a few months in

TheLankster
03-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Take your time and do everything right from the start. Yo7 will be glad you did. Take it from someone that made some major changes a few months in

Definitely will. Wanna share some of ur mistakes ? Lol so I don't make them.

And how long on average should the tank cycle before I get my juvies?

Ryan925
03-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Definitely will. Wanna share some of ur mistakes ? Lol so I don't make them.

And how long on average should the tank cycle before I get my juvies?

My setup was just not ideal for optimal growth. After a few months I could see it in the progress of the fish and had to make the change.

Wc is most important. When you are new it sounds like discus keepers overdo it but wcs are the most important. The more the better and it will show with your fish. Last thing you want is to end up in the disease section or asking if your fish are stunted. At one point I thought I had stunted a few but after making my changes they recovered.

Do things to make wc east and it's not such a chore 108452108453

Take a look at my tank journal. Will save you some trouble for sure

TheLankster
03-30-2017, 12:06 PM
My setup was just not ideal for optimal growth. After a few months I could see it in the progress of the fish and had to make the change.

Wc is most important. When you are new it sounds like discus keepers overdo it but wcs are the most important. The more the better and it will show with your fish. Last thing you want is to end up in the disease section or asking if your fish are stunted. At one point I thought I had stunted a few but after making my changes they recovered.

Do things to make wc east and it's not such a chore 108452108453

Take a look at my tank journal. Will save you some trouble for sure

Will do. And damn! Love those fish!

I was gonna do pairs of 3 discus color but seeing that might just do one of each!

Ryan925
03-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Will do. And damn! Love those fish!

I was gonna do pairs of 3 discus color but seeing that might just do one of each!

Thanks
I like the mixed look but my next tank will be single strain. There is really something special about seeing a large group of single strain

TheLankster
03-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Anybody know why the in tank canisters are so much cheaper than the ones out of tank?

What causes the difference in pricing?

dialysis mike
04-03-2017, 04:35 PM
You might want to try a diy home made. 5 gal bucket with pump etc.for around $70.on youtube