PDA

View Full Version : feedback on new discus

gordo33
03-21-2017, 11:26 PM
I received 5 discus from Chicago Discus Oct 3 2016. The top picture is when they arrive and in quarantine tank. Bottom picture is from today in display tank. They varied in size from 4"-5" when they arrived. The discus are : Panda Pigeon,Golden Lemon,Mandarin Passion,Blue diamond and Albino red Pigeon. Last week the Blue Diamond and the Albino Red pigeon paired and spawned eggs.

They are in a BB tank with driftwood and plants attached to driftwood and in glass jars. 50% WC every other day.
Twice a day I feed them Al's FWBW and last feeding is Frozen BW and Discus Bio Gold pellets.

I would appreciate your comments as I am looking to get 5 more discus in the near future.

10821210821310821410821510821610821710821810821910 8220108221

Filip
03-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Your new discus look great Gordo.
Why did you QT-ed them first ? Did you have other fish in your display tank prior introducing them?
How big is your tankage ? 10 semi adult discus + other fish in a sand and plants tank with 50% WC every other day can get out of control if your water volume is not big enough to support this routine .

gordo33
03-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Your new discus look great Gordo.
Why did you QT-ed them first ? Did you have other fish in your display tank prior introducing them?
How big is your tankage ? 10 semi adult discus + other fish in a sand and plants tank with 50% WC every other day can get out of control if your water volume is not big enough to support this routine .
Filip, thanks for the compliment
they were QT because I had 4 other discus . Short version I only have one remaining so I have a total of 6 discus. They are in a 125 gal BB no substrate. The plants are in jars and some tied to driftwood.. I have a 30gal sump .
I would like to add 5 more fish to have 11 total.

jmf3460
03-22-2017, 10:53 AM
IMO the first fish is your best looking. but they all look super. could we see a full tank shot, id love to see your plants in glass jars. what lighting do you use, does it do well with your jarred plants??

DISCUS STU
03-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Very nice fish, all the best in keeping them in good health.

gordo33
03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Very nice fish, all the best in keeping them in good health.

Thanks

gordo33
03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
IMO the first fish is your best looking. but they all look super. could we see a full tank shot, id love to see your plants in glass jars. what lighting do you use, does it do well with your jarred plants??

Thanks for your input.
This is a pic from before I added a second piece of driftwood.. my current light is a Fluval Pro LED unfortunately without dimmer capability. I can only leave the lights on for 5 hours otherwise brown algae developes on the glass. I plan on getting a different lighting system in the future.

jmf3460
03-22-2017, 12:10 PM
very nice looking tank OP. I LOVE the mason jars as planters. I do the same thing!! I am no NADA judge or anything but I think all your fish look excellent

Kyla
03-22-2017, 12:37 PM
lovely fish. and i really really like that albino in the first pic

Coffee1stLife2nd
03-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Great Pic of your fish and tank,, looks good.. nice to see a pic with the jars I live in a old 1906 farm house and very country so i was thinking of using jars myself so it was nice to see what it would look like.. Thanks...

gordo33
03-22-2017, 01:21 PM
very nice looking tank OP. I LOVE the mason jars as planters. I do the same thing!! I am no NADA judge or anything but I think all your fish look excellent

Thanks appreciate the compliment. Honestly still not sure about how plants look in the jars. I have an angel fish tank set up with sand driftwood and lightly planted . I like the look of that tank better. I originally had a 75 gal planted tank with discus. I was influenced by this forum to go BB.

gordo33
03-22-2017, 01:24 PM
lovely fish. and i really really like that albino in the first pic

Thanks Kyla

gordo33
03-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Great Pic of your fish and tank,, looks good.. nice to see a pic with the jars I live in a old 1906 farm house and very country so i was thinking of using jars myself so it was nice to see what it would look like.. Thanks...

Coffee, thanks for comments. I tried panty hose and other style jars and settled on the ones in the pic.

Filip
03-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Don't mean to hijack Gordos thread or go offtopic but for planting in a BB or a thin layer of sand tank I use the small transparent 2oz cups ussualy sold in markets for picnics . I cut the top inch or two from the cup ,depending on the plant root length and size and fill them half way with dirt / sand mix and other half above with just sand .
They are much smaller than jars and can be easily camouflaged with driftwood.
Just an experience that I wanted to share .
Here is how they look right now in my BB growout tank :

108239]108240[/ATTACH[ATTACH]108240

gordo33
03-22-2017, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Filip;1256921]Don't mean to hijack Gordos thread or go offtopic but for planting in a BB or a thin layer of sand tank I use the small transparent 2oz cups ussualy sold in markets for picnics . I cut the top inch or two from the cup ,depending on the plant root length and size and fill them half way with dirt / sand mix and other half above with just sand .
Here is how they look right now in my BB growout tank : Quote]

Great idea with the transparent cups. Your BB grow out tank looks great. How do you fertilize your plants? Your plants look great!

Filip
03-23-2017, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE=Filip;1256921]Don't mean to hijack Gordos thread or go offtopic but for planting in a BB or a thin layer of sand tank I use the small transparent 2oz cups ussualy sold in markets for picnics . I cut the top inch or two from the cup ,depending on the plant root length and size and fill them half way with dirt / sand mix and other half above with just sand .
Here is how they look right now in my BB growout tank : Quote]

Great idea with the transparent cups. Your BB grow out tank looks great. How do you fertilize your plants? Your plants look great!

Transparent cups helps me observe their root growth and see when they get too root bound and need repotting .
For a plant food I use nutrient rich soil mixed with sand in their pots ,soil that's usually used for terrestrial plants .
Regular WCs with my hard tap water also remineralize the plants on a daily level .
Once I slow down with multiple daily feedings and daily Big WCs I might start adding a PPS-Pro lean dosing of liquid ferts daily.