PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon filter show down

Discus18
03-24-2017, 03:35 AM
I have 2 large sponge filters hooked up to a 100 gallon air pump. All for a 75 gallon grow out tank. So question is..
1. Fluval C4
2. Aqua Clear 70 or
3. Aqueon Quiet Flow 75

jmf3460
03-24-2017, 08:22 AM
on my 75 I run dual emperor 400s they would be a good option as well.

modealings
03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Just curious why you want more than the two sponge filters for a grow out tank? I think for the price/effectiveness/ease of maintenance, the sponges are hard to beat.

Discus18
03-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Yea I know just in case I miss a couple wc's while I'm working all weekend. Friday Saturday Sunday I work 10am-12am. So sometimes they don't get wc's for 3-4 days. Trying to be precautions I guess. Right now in my 75 gallon "show" tank, because it's in the living room, ;) I use two round large sponge filters and a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filter. Do you really think it's not needed? What do you have and/or what have you used modealings?

modealings
03-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Yea I know just in case I miss a couple wc's while I'm working all weekend. Friday Saturday Sunday I work 10am-12am. So sometimes they don't get wc's for 3-4 days. Trying to be precautions I guess. Right now in my 75 gallon "show" tank, because it's in the living room, ;) I use two round large sponge filters and a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filter. Do you really think it's not needed? What do you have and/or what have you used modealings?

I think everyone will have their own system that works best. Just in my limited experience I've been very happy w just simple sponges in a grow out tank. There is no hassle in turning filters off/on during big water changes and you can adjust the water level in your tank based on the size of your fish. Also if the power goes out you can be sure that sponges will fire back up once it returns, whereas HOB's and canisters may require priming.

I read a post by Ryan a long time ago that discussed the marketing of the expensive aquarium filters to consumers. In reality a simple sponge will do a very good job providing biologic and mechanical filtration. While it may be unsightly, that is often not a concern in a grow out tank.

If you're concerned about leaving your tank for extended periods of time without water changes, then your issue will most likely be nitrates. In a cycled tank, your ammonia and nitrites should remain low but the lack of water changes for those days will cause your nitrates to rise, no matter how good your filtration. My only suggestion for this would be to try a plant like pothos that can keep your nitrates low (or of course figure out a system to do more water changes).

Just my 2 cents. I hope you find what works best for you.

Discus18
03-25-2017, 12:57 AM
I think everyone will have their own system that works best. Just in my limited experience I've been very happy w just simple sponges in a grow out tank. There is no hassle in turning filters off/on during big water changes and you can adjust the water level in your tank based on the size of your fish. Also if the power goes out you can be sure that sponges will fire back up once it returns, whereas HOB's and canisters may require priming.

I read a post by Ryan a long time ago that discussed the marketing of the expensive aquarium filters to consumers. In reality a simple sponge will do a very good job providing biologic and mechanical filtration. While it may be unsightly, that is often not a concern in a grow out tank.

If you're concerned about leaving your tank for extended periods of time without water changes, then your issue will most likely be nitrates. In a cycled tank, your ammonia and nitrites should remain low but the lack of water changes for those days will cause your nitrates to rise, no matter how good your filtration. My only suggestion for this would be to try a plant like pothos that can keep your nitrates low (or of course figure out a system to do more water changes).

Just my 2 cents. I hope you find what works best for you.

Very true. A plant would be a very good idea. Also true is the fact of the unsightliness, which is something I'm considering about my living room show tank. But a large enough plant in pots could hide the ugliness. :crazy: ha