PDA

View Full Version : Deformed discus fry.

Tupham1982
03-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Please point me to the right direction. About have of my fry have deformed fins. My fish was hatched in aged tap water. 82 degrees. Ph 7.8. 25% wc during hatching. Did I do anything wrong?

brewmaster15
03-29-2017, 03:26 PM
HI,

Its likely that you aren't doing enough water changes. Deformities like this are thought to occur because of poor water quality and bacteria or poor nutrition and insufficient minerals in the diet/water. Theres also a chance its genetic but thats the least likely, IMO.

You really need to do many large water changes with fry, keep the tank clean and feed them well.

al

Keith Perkins
03-29-2017, 03:35 PM
HI,

Its likely that you aren't doing enough water changes. Deformities like this are thought to occur because of poor water quality and bacteria or poor nutrition and insufficient minerals in the diet/water. Theres also a chance its genetic but thats the least likely, IMO.

You really need to do many large water changes with fry, keep the tank clean and feed them well.

al

Pretty much what I was trying to type up, but Al beat me to it. Also there is no reversing this condition, so you can cull the deformed guys at any time.

alcastro
03-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Did you add anything to the water like meth blue

CliffsDiscus
03-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Check your kh.

Cliff

LizStreithorst
03-29-2017, 10:12 PM
It's a water quality thing. A high kH makes large WCs even more necessary.

Tupham1982
03-30-2017, 11:13 AM
I just do wc 25% daily during first week when the eggs hatch. I just don't want to shock the fry by changing too much.. After 1 week I do 50% daily. Should I increase the percent of water change? Ohh yeah dung breeding I did put the aluminum screen mesh to cover the eggs. I didn't want the parent to poke at the bad eggs and ruin the good one next to it. Could that be a factor?

Filip
03-31-2017, 06:21 AM
It's a water quality thing. A high kH makes large WCs even more necessary.

Check your kh.

Cliff

Why ?
Does this advice refers to ammonia being more toxic in Alkaline water and the close corellation between KH and PH , meaning high KH ussually = High PH = more toxic ammonia ?

Did you add anything to the water like meth blue

Do you put Methylene blue to prevent fungus and bacteria on the eggs or to the newly hatched fry Alcastro ?