PDA

View Full Version : DI water bad for planted tank?

redavalanche
04-01-2017, 01:57 AM
New here but I have a question for you on DI filters. I have looked for days for info but have found conflicting info.
What I have is a planted tank with community fish. My tap has Chloramine with 1 ppm of Ammonia. This is what I want to know... Is DI water bad for a planted freshwater tank?

Have come to realize that carbon filtration may be the best for Chloramine removal. However, I already bought an RO Buddie 3 stage still in box. From what I can tell the stage I did not purchase DI will remove Chloramine but it seems DI may not be good for planted tanks and fish.

More... I know Prime detoxifies Chloramine but seems the Ammonia sticks around. So even when I do 50% water changes my Nitrates are always off the chart. Zero Nitrate from tap. It is an established tank with trace Ammonia, plenty of filltration, low dose EI, and small amount of injected CO2.

I can, 1. Keep RO Buddie and remineralize and possibly still have Ammonia in water.
2. Get the DI option which may not be good.
3. Return the RO and use Carbon filters for the Ammonia problem.

Please let me know if you have any experience with the DI question. Thank you.

Leland F.
04-02-2017, 05:18 PM
If you remineralize it, it will work just fine, you can also mix it with 25% tap water and dechlorinate it with prime or safe. The plants will use the ammonia up very, very quickly.

-Leland

redavalanche
04-02-2017, 07:03 PM
If you remineralize it, it will work just fine, you can also mix it with 25% tap water and dechlorinate it with prime or safe. The plants will use the ammonia up very, very quickly.
-Leland

Thanks for the reply. I have read that some people consider de-ionized water to be like water softened water and it should not be used. So what I am wondering is it really fine with remineralizer or does the DI filter leave behind salts. Thanks.

Hart24601
04-05-2017, 03:49 PM
DI water is very different from softened water. RO/DI water has nothing in it, - 0 Total Dissolved Solids so you can remineralize or mix with tap. Water softeners replace calcium and magnesium with sodium - no real change to TDS. Many plants don't like high levels of sodium so water softeners are not the best for planted tanks.

redavalanche
04-05-2017, 06:15 PM
DI water is very different from softened water. RO/DI water has nothing in it, - 0 Total Dissolved Solids so you can remineralize or mix with tap. Water softeners replace calcium and magnesium with sodium - no real change to TDS. Many plants don't like high levels of sodium so water softeners are not the best for planted tanks.

Thanks for answering my question. Now I can get the DI cartridge for my RO unit. I knew someone here would be able to help me. :)