PDA

View Full Version : where do you drain your water

clark12
04-01-2017, 01:24 PM
^ during water changes?

brady
04-01-2017, 01:52 PM
I siphon the water from the tanks into a garbage pail. The pail has a small sump pump, available at home depot, with a garden hose attached
and running through the wall into my wifes flower garden.
I'm sure that on this forum this is not a novel idea, but maybe it helps.
Jay

Rxfisher
04-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Python into vegetable garden

Ryan925
04-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Sink

LizStreithorst
04-01-2017, 04:13 PM
PVC tubing through a hole I drilled in the wall to outside. Shame I don't have an outside pond to drain it into.

MendoMan
04-01-2017, 05:30 PM
I built my own siphon that threads right onto a garden hose then out the door to where ever I need it in the garden.

Jenene
04-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Out the window just a few feet away. It goes into a pvc pipe and away from the house with all the smelly food and poo particles into my neighbor's yard...(kidding about the neighbor):evilgrin:

Willie
04-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Down the drain...

pitdogg2
04-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Down the drain...
Mine for the most part in winter but out to the tree in the summer.

clark12
04-01-2017, 09:06 PM
i bought a wayne pc4 transfer pump to move aged water and speed things up with daily wc's. with this pump i can pull water out and put water back in. still waiting on some pieces so i haven't used it yet. its supposed to be a pretty powerful pump, but they all claim to be. I'm a bit concerned about volume and pressure that comes out. which is why I'm asking, to see what everyone else does. i may have to cut into my plumbing and put in a trap and a section of pipe to handle the flow.

Ryan925
04-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Out the window just a few feet away. It goes into a pvc pipe and away from the house with all the smelly food and poo particles into my neighbor's yard...(kidding about the neighbor):evilgrin:

Hey it's your neighbor!! I been wondering what that smell was!

jim LI
04-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Bath tub drain or out the nearest door.

gordo33
04-02-2017, 03:28 PM
PVC pipe plumbed through the wall to 2 55 gal drums April - Oct. The water is used for flowers and grass. Winter months a valve directs the water into a outside drain.

Leland F.
04-02-2017, 05:12 PM
I've got an 1.5" pvc overflow in my sump, that runs to a sump pump, which pumps it out to the gutter drains outside. I open the ball valves to drain the tanks and all excess water in the sump goes over the overflow, this keeps the heaters submerged, and safe from cracking if exposed to cooler air. I then open the water fill lines, and fill the tanks directly, if I forget to turn the water off when filling, or walk away from the tanks for too long, all excess water overflows through the high limit overflow in the sump again. This way its pretty hard to get the floors wet, and I can change 500 gallons in about 35 min.

-Leland

HarryDk
04-02-2017, 08:42 PM
hmm, straight through my window to the drive way :))

cjvdhx
04-02-2017, 09:04 PM
I've been draining mine into the sink however now that it's getting warmer outside it will go on the lawn! hopefully it won't kill my grass.

clark12
04-03-2017, 07:13 AM
To the people draining outside, does it ever stink? I live in northeast Ohio so this option isn't a year round thing. I see most of you live in cali. But I was concerned about possible smell. Regardless I still need to think about the other 5 months of the year

Jenene
04-03-2017, 07:20 AM
To the people draining outside, does it ever stink? I live in northeast Ohio so this option isn't a year round thing. I see most of you live in cali. But I was concerned about possible smell. Regardless I still need to think about the other 5 months of the year

I have not had any issues with odors. When you think about it all the organics are very diluted that are leaving your home. If it did smell I would think it would be from over feeding. If you are feeding correctly there should not be that much being siphoned out. If anything my tank can get a fishy smell but the outdoor air diffuses that very quickly.

CJ if anything you will have a very green spot on your lawn. It will be the healthiest from all the fertilizer!

I wonder what all our neighbors think when they see all these hoses sticking out of our houses with all that water draining out. Can you imagine what they think we are all doing? :confused:

jim LI
04-03-2017, 08:25 AM
No odor at all. That about 50 gallons drained into the same flower beds every day and 70 every 3 days from 2 different tanks.

DISCUS STU
04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Into the tub or kitchen sink.

Paul Sabucchi
04-04-2017, 02:52 PM
All the water from my tanks goes to my veggie patch, smell from the water probably less of an issue than that from the wheelbarrows of horse muck I also use!

jmf3460
04-05-2017, 09:32 AM
out the window into a large barrel, then I dunk my watering cans in that barrel to water my flowers, vegetables and rose bushes. if it rains a lot and I don't have to water things, I just siphon out into the yard. my back yard is sufficiently more green than my front because of this

SomeFin's Fishy
04-05-2017, 05:16 PM
When the temps are above 32 degrees, right down the driveway. When below freezing, we use a Wayne pump and pump it directly down the toilet.