PDA

View Full Version : I HATE you all

vanenio
04-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Not really!

I am new to keeping Discus, but not to the hobby, I'm currently in my 30th year and still haven't learnt how to keep my sleeves dry!!

I have avoided Discus, for many of the reasons that are widely discussed on these and many other forums. However, about a year ago i had a major disaster, the kind of disaster that destroys solid wood floors!! yep, the ENTIRE front of my tank blew out. If its never happened to anyone it does sound like a gun shot! There was that much water on the floor that the fish were still swimming around on the floor, not unlike spawning salmon, it would have been funny if this was not a life and death situation.

Fortunately I only lost two Harlequins- one to the damn cat.

Still, this event allowed me to go nuts on the credit card, as my wife felt sorry for the fish, especially as the red tail black shark was named after my dad- his favourite fish, Chris if you were wondering.

I Digress. now i had a clean slate to work from. I bought a stunning 65gal aquarium with solid oak stand and hood. (AQUA OAK) worth every penny

Whilst the fish were in a hospital tank, I set up an AMANO inspired planted aquarium.

I bought CO2 kits, LED lighting etc, etc.

2 weeks later, after checking all the levels pH KH etc, introduced the fish..... looks stunning!!

Now the wife chips in, "What about something big and bright?"

"ok" says I

a week later, at the LFS

"OOOOHHH they're pretty"........... "Discus" i groan

7 x 3.5 inch fish, and a depleted bank account later.. I LOVE THEM. WISH ID TAKEN THE PLUNGE SOONER!!!!!

HOWEVER, i lost one in the second week. the others are doing well, they seem to be sorting their pecking order, and i use stick on the tank type food, in a couple of different areas of the tank which seems to have reduced the food aggression.

In short, if you are reading this and are new to the hobby, think long and hard about keeping discus fish, they are nearly as demanding as marine fish, more forgiving with water parameters, but in a heavily planted tank there is a lot of water changing and hoovering of waste.
might i suggest Java ferns as decor as you can easily move them on the drift wood to hoover.

LizStreithorst
04-02-2017, 04:18 PM
I agree that Discus are demanding of both time and resources, but once you decide to abide by their rules rather than trying to make them play by yours they can be very rewarding. Sounds to me like you need another tank that you can devote to Discus only.

BTW, my damn cat doesn't like live fish. It was frustrating at culling time until my Rat Terrier developed a taste for them.

pastry
04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Best eye catching subject title in awhile :antlers: i already like you.

vanenio
04-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I agree that Discus are demanding of both time and resources, but once you decide to abide by their rules rather than trying to make them play by yours they can be very rewarding. Sounds to me like you need another tank that you can devote to Discus only.

BTW, my damn cat doesn't like live fish. It was frustrating at culling time until my Rat Terrier developed a taste for them.

My Discus tank mates are various tetras, rummy nose, neons, and the remaining 4 harlequins, plus of course the red tail. not to mention the clean up crew, 15 or so Amano shrimp, two cory's and 6 otto's.

vanenio
04-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Cheers pastry

DISCUS STU
04-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Re the marine fish requirements and Discus. I knew a guy that kept marines, tried Discus, only to back to marines because the Discus were too difficult for him and he gave up in frustration.

FYI this guy was one of the former school tough guys, delinquents, glad to see he found a better way to go as he got older.

gluedandscrewed
04-04-2017, 10:56 AM
got my first disc in 1975!!!! after many sporadic attempts over the years to keep them alive i believe i came up with the magic formula, ph, temp and good water, mine goes straight from the well to the tank, disregard 99% percent of what you read on the forums and keep it simple,,yes, the old KISS adage ,,,