PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning RO Water

Plantedtanklover
04-07-2017, 03:23 PM
My Tap water is hard... Like stupid hard. That being said, I'm cycling my Discus tank now and hope to have fish in two-three weeks. I bought a 100 g/d RO Buddie, and am setting up my old 55 Gallon tank with a heater and powerhead to get it up to temp for water changes. That being said I heard it's not good to use 100% RO water, and that it needs reconditioned with minerals. I have some Discus Trace, Discus Buffer, and Neutral Regulator all from Seachem, but really have no idea what to do with it. Anybody have some advice?

Clawhammer
04-07-2017, 03:29 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122370-Blackwater-Mineral-Mix

I use the mix in post #13 to mineralize my extremely soft tap water. You can likely just mix a little tap water in with your RO to re-mineralize. If your tap water is that hard, your RO may still have a significant amount of minerals. Have you tested your RO water?

Plantedtanklover
04-07-2017, 04:04 PM
My RO water is testing at 5 TDS

Willie
04-08-2017, 10:23 AM
I've used 100% R/O straight for 5 years without any problems. With 5 TDS, it still has plenty of minerals in it. I wouldn't not bother with additional additives that you're just going to dump out during a water change. Buffers/Regulators are going to do nothing for your fish.