PDA

View Full Version : Help! I accidentally changed 100% water change!!

kimberly
05-03-2017, 09:47 PM
I forgot that I was changing the water and they were laying on the bottom of the tank gasping for air. No, I never did this before and I am responsible. Even though this happened, I have taken good care of discus for over 10 years. I could cry right now. I am shocked and can only imagine what they are going through. Did anyone experience this? One of my fish has a dark color on his side. I wonder if it was caused from lack of oxygen. I am scared I really shocked them and they are sick. Also, my original tank of 60% was leaking a month ago so I put them in a 20 gallon tank. I have just received all the refund from insurance for damage. I have not replace the tank in over a month. It has been a tragedy for them. I feel like crying.

discuspaul
05-03-2017, 10:03 PM
How long were they laying on the bottom of the tank gasping for air - any idea ?
Was it possibly 5 minutes, or was it possibly a 1/2 hour or more ?

It could make all the difference in the world - if it was only a short period of time, no problem.
If you really have no idea (how could you not ?), but you've refilled the tank and they're all swimming, seemingly ok, then you may have very little to worry about. They'll probably recover ok.

kimberly
05-03-2017, 10:07 PM
How long were they laying on the bottom of the tank gasping for air - any idea ?
Was it possibly 5 minutes, or was it possibly a 1/2 hour or more ?

It could make all the difference in the world - if it was only a short period of time, no problem.
If you really have no idea (how could you not ?), but you've refilled the tank and they're all swimming, seemingly ok, then you may have very little to worry about. They'll probably recover ok.

Not an hour! NOt 30 minutes! NOt 15! I think less than 5! I hope! They are all swimming. Since I know that a fish that is not receiving enough oxygen will try to compensate by gravitating toward that area, I see that that is what they are doing now. Similarly, I noticed my fish lingering near the bubbles of my air stones and other bubble-producing décor. I so scared, but I think I am over reacting. Thank you so much for replying

Jenene
05-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Yes Kimberly, Discuspaul speaks words of wisdom. Take a breath and regroup. Many of us change a lot of water to where they are flat on their sides. Granted yours were left for a few minutes longer than a simple water change but I really think they are tougher than you give them credit for. I think once the stress of being fish out of water eases the color will come back on the one.

We all make mistakes and they are never on purpose. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I would just keep an eye on them but give them some space to settle back in.

Check back and let us know how they are. I hope things settle back to normal for you sooner than later. Sounds like you've had a rough time of it lately. :(

RogueDiscus
05-03-2017, 10:25 PM
This is how many of us do water changes. Empty out as much water as you can, the fish lay on their sides for a couple minutes in the puddle that's left, and then refill. They do just fine. mine lay there calmly most of the time waiting.

kimberly
05-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Yes Kimberly, Discuspaul speaks words of wisdom. Take a breath and regroup. Many of us change a lot of water to where they are flat on their sides. Granted yours were left for a few minutes longer than a simple water change but I really think they are tougher than you give them credit for. I think once the stress of being fish out of water eases the color will come back on the one.

We all make mistakes and they are never on purpose. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I would just keep an eye on them but give them some space to settle back in.

Check back and let us know how they are. I hope things settle back to normal for you sooner than later. Sounds like you've had a rough time of it lately. :(

Oh my gosh, that was so empathetic. Thank you. Yes, I was telling myself that I made a mistake tonight. Thank you so much

Jenene
05-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Oh my gosh, that was so empathetic. Thank you. Yes, I was telling myself that I made a mistake tonight. Thank you so much

You are so welcome Kimberly , and in that message was that you did not really make a big mistake- it could have been but you caught it and fixed it. Now, if you had gone to bed or gone out to a movie...THAT would have been a big mistake- but you didn't and now that they are okay you need to take care of yourself! On the bright side they have had a lovely bath. :D

kimberly
05-03-2017, 11:01 PM
You are so welcome Kimberly , and in that message was that you did not really make a big mistake- it could have been but you caught it and fixed it. Now, if you had gone to bed or gone out to a movie...THAT would have been a big mistake- but you didn't and now that they are okay you need to take care of yourself! On the bright side they have had a lovely bath. :D

I really am glad you were here tonight. I know your message was meant to be for me and good timing.
Since I know that a fish that is not receiving enough oxygen will try to compensate by gravitating toward that area, I see that that is what they are doing now. I guess that is okay, so I am going to breath and meditate tonight. Thank you so much

Kyla
05-04-2017, 01:19 AM
are your discus currently in a 20gal tank?

RogueDiscus
05-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Good catch Kyla. Kimberly, how many fish do you have and what size are they?

DatDiscusDude
05-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Do you have extra air stones? I would add them in and another air pump too if you have it just to aid...

LizStreithorst
05-04-2017, 11:48 AM
If you think they aren't getting enough 02 add a capful of hydrogen peroxide to the tank water.

kimberly
05-04-2017, 06:48 PM

Yes! It's been an awful month

kimberly
05-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Do you have extra air stones? I would add them in and another air pump too if you have it just to aid...

Thank you so much! I really need a new tank to replace the 60 gallon tank that leaked. I don't trust Marineland, even though they refunded me the full cost of the damage and the tank. I am waiting because I don't know what to buy. Suggestions? I also want to do a sump pump because I don't want the chords and such to show anymore.

kimberly
05-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Good catch Kyla. Kimberly, how many fish do you have and what size are they?

My tank was originally a 60 gallon until the tank leaked, so I put them in an emergency tank. Since then I have not been clear on what to buy that is better quality. I've been talking to Custom Aquariums and a local place. I have 6 small medium size. It's been an awfully stressful month for us since the leak

Neptune
05-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Here is one for ya...
I did a water change about a month ago..
I knocked the light over on the tank and freaked the fish! I heard a loud bang and I figured it was a fish hitting the wall. Well went to count fish and could not find one...
I looked all over in the tank, behind the tank, on the floor nothing....
Well he hit the cover and bounced into the weir. He was in there for about 15 minutes only half submerged.

But wait...there's more...
I scoop him out in my hands, and of course he flops and falls 4 feet to the floor behind the tank. Hard spot to reach, he's flopping around collecting dust bunnies, banging into stuff, etc.
I final get a hold of him, brush him off and throw him back into the tank. He hung out in the back corner for an hour, and then he was fine...a month later you could not tell which fish it was.

Moral of story, you often get the impression that these fish are fragile and die if you look at them wrong.
If you have a good healthy fish they are just as tough as any other aquarium fish.

Jenene
05-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Here is one for ya...
I did a water change about a month ago..
I knocked the light over on the tank and freaked the fish! I heard a loud bang and I figured it was a fish hitting the wall. Well went to count fish and could not find one...
I looked all over in the tank, behind the tank, on the floor nothing....
Well he hit the cover and bounced into the weir. He was in there for about 15 minutes only half submerged.

But wait...there's more...
I scoop him out in my hands, and of course he flops and falls 4 feet to the floor behind the tank. Hard spot to reach, he's flopping around collecting dust bunnies, banging into stuff, etc.
I final get a hold of him, brush him off and throw him back into the tank. He hung out in the back corner for an hour, and then he was fine...a month later you could not tell which fish it was.

Moral of story, you often get the impression that these fish are fragile and die if you look at them wrong.
If you have a good healthy fish they are just as tough as any other aquarium fish.

Perfect example of how tough these guys really are. Plus they have magic healing powers. My blue diamond got in a battle last night. I though the others were going to kill him. He had bite marks all over both sides. I taped some mirrors up and turned the lights down. This morning expecting the worst, they were all swimming peacefully and you could barely tell the blue had ever had a mark on him. The discus equivalent of the fountain of youth...They are tough fish!