PDA

View Full Version : Artificial driftwood decor - removed from tank

Jandiscus
05-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Just thought I share my rational for removing resin based driftwood from my tank(s). While beautiful to look at and safe and easy to use (no soaking, no out-leaching) I realized what I had already suspected. The water inside the decor is subject to fouling, as there is no water exchange to speak of. Debris will accumulate over time making it necessary to remove the object frequently and giving it a deep cleaning. Just one more thing to add to the husbandry and tank maintenance. When I pulled mine from the tanks I could smell the sulfur escaping from it, as the water dripped out. So, my advice is to not use these with discus tanks unless you have the time to thoroughly and frequently clean them.

Cheers,

JC

DatDiscusDude
05-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info Jan. I never noticed a smell or an issue. But I have some various caves and things in one of my tanks that def captures some debris and what not. I usually pull them once a week or so during a water changed and dump them out rinse off and/or wipe down. It can be a PITA at times but you are right it needs to be kept up with and maintained or your pretty decor could be causing a pretty bad issue!

Hope the removal helps your tank!

adrian31@outlook.com
05-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Hi JC:

What kind of wood is it? My wood is cut from roots of Casaurina tree stumps that had been washed with tidal water for some time before I cut it. So no resin, but some sections are hollow and impossible to clean properly. What I do is periodically soak it for about an hour in very concentrated salt solution, about every 2-3 weeks which has helped.

Ryan925
05-06-2017, 11:35 AM
I use manzanita. Only had to soak it to get it to sink. Had very, very little release of tannins

I don't do anything with it now. I just move it around occasionally when I want a new look

Good info on the fake wood. Don't use it but never thought of that. Makes sense

tonytheboss1
05-06-2017, 06:56 PM
:bandana: Agree w/ Ryan925 :thumbsup:. Never used resin based driftwood. 'Manzanita' has been my choice w/ no issues http://manzanita.com/stumps/page1/page1.htm . True some pieces take a min. to become water logged but no worries after that. "T"

Neptune
05-07-2017, 10:22 AM
I believe he is referring to plastic "resin" artificial wood.

This kind of stuff

afriend
05-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Just thought I share my rational for removing resin based driftwood from my tank(s). While beautiful to look at and safe and easy to use (no soaking, no out-leaching) I realized what I had already suspected. The water inside the decor is subject to fouling, as there is no water exchange to speak of. Debris will accumulate over time making it necessary to remove the object frequently and giving it a deep cleaning. Just one more thing to add to the husbandry and tank maintenance. When I pulled mine from the tanks I could smell the sulfur escaping from it, as the water dripped out. So, my advice is to not use these with discus tanks unless you have the time to thoroughly and frequently clean them.

Cheers,

JC

Jandiscus,

The smell is from decomposing organic compounds. Decomposition is a common process in nature that occurs when an animal or a plant dies (thus accounting for the foul odor). Uneaten food and fish feces contains organic compounds and is the primary reason that tank maintenance and water changes are necessary in order to remove them from the tank. These compounds stick to the decorative items, tank sides and bottom, and anything else in the tank. Thus tank maintenance should include wiping the glass and removing feces.

The reason for strict cleaning (including water changes) is to remove the organic compounds from the tank thus reducing the food source for pathogens (bacteria, virus, parasites, and fungus). Pathogens are always present in the aquarium and are not normally seen with the unaided eye, thus control is primarily attained by limiting their food source. Discus do not have a very strong immune system for the types of pathogens found in most home aquariums.

If you are interested, I can recommend some other posts in the SD forum on this subject.

Paul

Jandiscus
05-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Thanks Paul! Much appreciated. My tank scaping has changed quite a bit over the past weeks. I went from doing daily 50% wc's, with 4-5 potted plants and 1 artificial driftwood decor to 95% daily wc's, tank wipe downs, no decor and just 1 potted plant (which is on stand by for being removed as well). It certainly simplifies things and the fish don't seem to mind. Being on the learning curve :)

JC

afriend
05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Nice clean tanks. Where did you get the driftwood?

Jandiscus
05-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks! At Petsmart