PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a new tank!

kimberly
05-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Since my leaking tank, I've been cautious of what to buy. I have 6 small medium discus who use to live in a 60 gallon tank. Now, they are temporarily staying in a 20 gallon tank. I want to buy a sump pump and a new tank/stand. Marineland refunded me 250 for the tank recently, so I can either buy a new one that is the same or something else. The kind I had was a narrow Heartland tank with a cheap stand in which case it can only hold an HOB filters. I can't even put a sump in it. I am ready for the next stage of discus care taking. I am not happy with this design.

Do you think a certain company makes better tanks than others?

I wonder where to buy a tank/stand and sump from?

I wonder if I should go with Custom Aquarium or are they too expensive? I mean I was quoted $2,000!

Ryan925
05-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Do you have a lfs that sells marine fish and equipment? Typically they will carry reef ready tanks that have built in overflows and stand big enough to house a sump

All of the typical petco petsmart type stands are pretty small and don't have large enough cabinets. I am building a stand for this reason

Keith Perkins
05-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I greatly prefer 75s for discus and currently have one from Aqueon that I'm very happy with. I'd check them out, and they're way cheaper than two grand.

cjvdhx
05-05-2017, 01:48 AM
Very happy with my 90 gallon marineland tank and stand. I could easily fit two or three fluval fx6's under it if I wanted which leaves plenty of room for a sump.

bluelagoon
05-05-2017, 08:59 AM
I saw a six foot 125 gal.tank,stand and class tops at Petsmart for something like $999.98.That was in Canada.I would think they would be cheaper in the USA.

Neptune
05-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Do you consider yourself a DIY person?

You can save a lot of money with this stuff if you can do DIY projects.

I bought an unfinished cabinet at a big box store and reinforced it for my tank. Stand was less than $100 and is 10x better than the prefab stands.

Then for a sump use a smaller bare aquarium and glue in baffles. I buy used aquariums at the LFS for pennies on the dollar for sumps.

People on here would be more than happy to walk you through this stuff.

oliverk
05-05-2017, 02:37 PM
U might consider used equipment. Craig's list usually has a section. Houston has a list called houstonfishbox.com your area may have something similar ebay has a section of local..... U NEED TO BE CAREFUL OF COURSE, leaks, scratches, cleaning and such also people keeping salt water in the tank can pose issues, you may also need to replace tops or or or and just like with buying from LFS you have delivery issues,

All said I was not disappointed in the tank and stand I bought 120gal with stand delivered, no leaks a couple of very tiny scratches you can't see with water in it when at back and delivered and setup with a 20 gal and filter (which I don't use) and they gave me approval looking at it on the truck and when set up and filled. I paid a huge amount less than a new one would cost, but I did have to take care of a new top and lights.

When looking at used saw a real mix of things and had to wait for the right deal for me, but..... understand that people move, kids grow up and leave and decide, for whatever reason they don't want to keep fish anymore....

This said your current situation may preclude you from such a long search, but who knows you could get lucky right off the bat.

kimberly
05-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Thank you everyone. I am still struggling as are the fish I imagine. It's hard to see my blue diamond suffer. His color is removed from his side and pealing. I don't know what happened. I though maybe me laid on the heater during the tragedy. I am looking for a new tank tomorrow. Has anyone helped an injured sick fish back to health? This one isn't eating after two days.

tonytheboss1
05-06-2017, 07:51 PM
:bandana: Hope you are doing multi W/C's with the 5 in that 20g. till you can move them.
My company (TENECOR) went out of business but GlassCages (http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=Home) makes a number of both acrylic & glass products that you can customize to your need. Some say a bit pricey but QUALITY is whats most important. Also Marineland (http://www.marineland.com/Buying-Options/Store-Locator.aspx) makes Corner-Flo Pre-Drilled Glass Aquariums in numerous sizes. Some folks prefer AllGlass Aquariums (http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/all-glass-aquariums.aspx) Hope this helps. "T"