PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Safe

RogueDiscus
05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
I finally finished off my gallon of Prime and bought a bottle of Safe. Instructions say 1.25 g or 1/4 tsp per 300 gallons. That's a pretty small amount for 55 and 75 gallon tanks. I have a gram scale I could use but wondering if there's an easier way, like mixing up a stock solution to distribute to the tanks.

Ryan925
05-10-2017, 01:40 PM
I am pretty sure I read some posts a little while back about not pre mixing but I cannot remember the reason. You may want to do a search. I remember there being a pretty in depth thread on the subject

RogueDiscus
05-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks Ryan. I think I remember that now that you mention it. I'll have to look for that. I'm not really treating for chlorine since I'm on a well, but occasionally added Prime if I was concerned about an ammonia spike or the metals (iron at least) in my water. Actually, I don't see Safe saying it detoxifies metals like Prime does. Anybody know if it does?

Megalodon
05-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Seachem's website says Prime only detoxifies typical tap water levels of heavy metals. Sounds pretty worthless to me.

jmf3460
05-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Steve I do not think you can overdose it. So if you had a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon you could safely use that amount. Maybe they even make a smaller one than 1/8 tsp I don't know.

Skip
05-10-2017, 05:17 PM
I finally finished off my gallon of Prime and bought a bottle of Safe. Instructions say 1.25 g or 1/4 tsp per 300 gallons. That's a pretty small amount for 55 and 75 gallon tanks. I have a gram scale I could use but wondering if there's an easier way, like mixing up a stock solution to distribute to the tanks.

you need 1/24 tsp per 50 gallons :)
or
1/16 tsp per 75 gallons :)

if you can't find that size.. they make these..
TAD = 1/4 tsp
DASH = 1/12 tsp <<<< not 1/8 >>>
PINCH = 1/16 tsp
SMIDGEN = 1/32 tsp
DROP = 1/64 (https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Measuring-Spoons-smidgen/dp/B0009X1P9S/ref=br_lf_m_e9eokdptcwju67d_img?_encoding=UTF8&s=kitchen)

probably get away with a Dash or a Pinch of SAFE

RogueDiscus
05-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks Skip. That helped just a TAD.

Dis82
05-10-2017, 09:50 PM
I did alot of reading before using safe to try and find the right dose. I bought the measuring spoons that skip suggested they are baking ones I think..look on amazon.

Then the largest tad is for 300 gallons. Next dash is 150 gallon, pinch is for 75, smidgen for 37.5 and the smallest is for 18. something.

Been using these for over a year without problems. I have a large 220 that I use the tad for and my 10 gallon is fine with the drop

RogueDiscus
05-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks. I thought Skip was kidding, but I see they seriously make these.

bossanova
05-10-2017, 11:56 PM
is the advantage that SAFE cheaper than Prime?

tonytheboss1
05-11-2017, 01:04 AM
is the advantage that SAFE cheaper than Prime?

:bandana: YEP! Safe is more concentrated thus more economical & cheaper over the long run. "T"

jim LI
05-11-2017, 08:07 AM
this is from a post of mine from last year:

From Seacehm :

Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
Mar 7, 11:29

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. You are correct - the recommended dose of Safe for 50 gallons of water is 1/24 of a tsp. This dose will remove about 1 mg/L chloramine and 1.4 mg/L chlorine, so to achieve the exact same chlorine and chloramine dechlorination rate as the standard dose of Prime, you will want to use around 3x this dose (1/8 tsp). Essentially, Prime is recommended to be dosed at a level which can dechlorinate pool water (the highest chlorine level recommend for any water source), while Safe is recommended to be dosed at a level which will will dechlorinate average tap water. Due to how concentrated it is (very easy to overdose) we generally recommend looking up your local water report and dosing Safe according to the levels of chlorine and chloramine in your source water.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

so my formula is now 5ml of prime = 1/8 tsp of safe

Skip
05-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Thanks. I thought Skip was kidding, but I see they seriously make these.

newp.. i bought some med from aquabid. .and they sent this tiny measuring spoon.. i had to do some fraction math to determine what dosage would be equivalent to SAFE dosage.. it works out great.. then again.. i am only dealing with 5/10g guppy and swordtail tanks :)

Skip
05-11-2017, 08:54 AM
From Seacehm :

Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
Mar 7, 11:29

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. You are correct - the recommended dose of Safe for 50 gallons of water is 1/24 of a tsp. This dose will remove about 1 mg/L chloramine and 1.4 mg/L chlorine, so to achieve the exact same chlorine and chloramine dechlorination rate as the standard dose of Prime, you will want to use around 3x this dose (1/8 tsp). Essentially, Prime is recommended to be dosed at a level which can dechlorinate pool water (the highest chlorine level recommend for any water source), while Safe is recommended to be dosed at a level which will will dechlorinate average tap water. Due to how concentrated it is (very easy to overdose) we generally recommend looking up your local water report and dosing Safe according to the levels of chlorine and chloramine in your source water.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

sweet !!! my math for 1/24 was correct :)

hdhong
05-11-2017, 02:36 PM
you need 1/24 tsp per 50 gallons :)
or
1/16 tsp per 75 gallons :)

if you can't find that size.. they make these..
TAD = 1/4 tsp
DASH = 1/12 tsp <<<< not 1/8 >>>
PINCH = 1/16 tsp
SMIDGEN = 1/32 tsp
DROP = 1/64 (https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Measuring-Spoons-smidgen/dp/B0009X1P9S/ref=br_lf_m_e9eokdptcwju67d_img?_encoding=UTF8&s=kitchen)

probably get away with a Dash or a Pinch of SAFE

Skip,

since the measuring spoon doesn't have 1/24 tsp, so a DASH = 1/12 tsp would be equivalent to that?

DISCUS STU
05-11-2017, 04:05 PM
I'm using 1/8 tsp. per 55-60 gal. 1/4 per 90 gal. No problems and overdosing isn't an issue.

I'm doing direct tap water changes and I'm still finding this to be very economical.

Filip
05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
2 months ago i asked Seachem about why they had 2 different looking bottles of seachem on the market with 2 different dosing manuals . The first bottle was red and the second was white and they had different dosing manuals . Here is my picture for reference:

They didnt answer my original question about why the same product have different packages with different dosing instructions and which dosing manual should i follow , but they did gave me a pretty thorough answer about dosing .

Here is my question along with their whole thorough answer on dosing Safe according to tap water perimetars , but the long story short to dose would be- 1 mg of Safe on every liter of water , or 4 mg of Safe for every Gallon of water :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seachem Su
Seachem Support 102086 (Seachem Laboratories)
Apr 4, 10:27 ADT

Request #16839 "Seachem safe dosing manual" was closed and merged into this request. Last comment in request #16839:

Hi Seachem .
Im a regular user and customer of your products .
As a discus keeper and a frequent water changer i use Seachem Safe as it is I believe the best alternative on the market for water dechlorization and water preparement prior Water changes .

I have a problem with my recent purchase of your Seachem Safe product as its user manual differs the one I have on my bottle at home .First one I have is a white bottle and the new one is red bottle.

The first red colour bottle manual advize to put 5 grams for 750 liters , while the other white bottle advizes 1.25 gr for 1250 liters , which is a huge difference in dosing manual .

Why are they different and which user manual should I follow ?
Are they the same product ?

Looking forward for your help .
Filip .

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Seachem Su
Apr 4, 10:29 ADT

Hello Fillip,

Thank you for your email. To use Safe properly you will need to know how to dose Safe as it is a completely different style conditioner. It cannot be stored in a liquid form for later use like Prime and you will need to know the chlorine and chloramine concentration of your tap water for dosing. The directions below will be the official way of dosing this product and will supersede all other dosing instruction.

For every 50 gallons you will use 200mg of Safe. This standard dose (100 mg/100 L of water) will remove 1 mg/L (ppm) of chloramine, 1.4 mg/L (ppm) of chlorine and 0.33 mg/L (ppm) of ammonia.

To use this properly in a tank environment, you will want to know the exact level of chlorine and chloramine in your tap water to ensure that you are fully neutralizing the level of your tap water.

You can use the following formula to figure out the appropriate dosage for your tank based on chlorine and chloramine levels:

A general formula that should help to determine the amount to use in mg for a given chloramine level is

x = L*c where x = amount to use in mg, L = volume of water (tank volume if added to tank, or source volume if water change water), c = chloramine level in mg/L (ppm). So a 500 L tank with 2.5 mg/L of chloramine would require 500 * 2.5 = 1,250 mg or 1.25 g of Safe, for gallons the formula is

x = 4*G*c (where G = gallons and 4 is a constant)

for chlorine it would be

x = 0.7*L*n where x = amount to use in mg, L = volume of water (tank volume if added to tank, or source volume if water change water). n = chlorine level in mg/L (ppm). So a 500 L tank with 2.5 mg/L of chlorine would require 500 * 2.5 * 0.7 = 875 mg, for gallons the formula is

x = 2.8*G*n (where G=gallons and 2.8 is a constant)

for ammonia it would be

x = 3*L*a where x = amount to use in mg, L = volume of water (tank volume if added to tank, or source volume if water change water). a = ammonia level in mg/L (ppm). So a 500 L tank with 2.5 mg/L of ammonia would require 500 * 2.5 * 3 = 3750 or 3.75 g for gallons the formula is

x = 12*G*n (where G=gallons and 12 is a constant)

For accurate dosing of Safe, I would recommend using the Digital Spoon Scale:

Digital Spoon Scale

I hope this helps!

Product Support 102086

hdhong
05-11-2017, 09:58 PM
2 months ago i asked Seachem about why they had 2 different looking bottles of seachem on the market with 2 different dosing manuals . The first bottle was red and the second was white and they had different dosing manuals . Here is my picture for reference:

They didnt answer my original question about why the same product have different packages with different dosing instructions and which dosing manual should i follow , but they did gave me a pretty thorough answer about dosing .

Here is my question along with their whole thorough answer on dosing Safe according to tap water perimetars , but the long story short to dose would be- 1 mg of Safe on every liter of water , or 4 mg of Safe for every Gallon of water :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seachem Su

Request #16839 "Seachem safe dosing manual" was closed and merged into this request. Last comment in request #16839:

Hi Seachem .
As a discus keeper and a frequent water changer i use Seachem Safe as it is I believe the best alternative on the market for water dechlorization and water preparement prior Water changes .

I have a problem with my recent purchase of your Seachem Safe product as its user manual differs the one I have on my bottle at home .First one I have is a white bottle and the new one is red bottle.

The first red colour bottle manual advize to put 5 grams for 750 liters , while the other white bottle advizes 1.25 gr for 1250 liters , which is a huge difference in dosing manual .

Filip .

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Seachem Su

Hello Fillip,

Thank you for your email. To use Safe properly you will need to know how to dose Safe as it is a completely different style conditioner. It cannot be stored in a liquid form for later use like Prime and you will need to know the chlorine and chloramine concentration of your tap water for dosing. The directions below will be the official way of dosing this product and will supersede all other dosing instruction.

For every 50 gallons you will use 200mg of Safe. This standard dose (100 mg/100 L of water) will remove 1 mg/L (ppm) of chloramine, 1.4 mg/L (ppm) of chlorine and 0.33 mg/L (ppm) of ammonia.

To use this properly in a tank environment, you will want to know the exact level of chlorine and chloramine in your tap water to ensure that you are fully neutralizing the level of your tap water.

You can use the following formula to figure out the appropriate dosage for your tank based on chlorine and chloramine levels:

A general formula that should help to determine the amount to use in mg for a given chloramine level is

x = L*c where x = amount to use in mg, L = volume of water (tank volume if added to tank, or source volume if water change water), c = chloramine level in mg/L (ppm). So a 500 L tank with 2.5 mg/L of chloramine would require 500 * 2.5 = 1,250 mg or 1.25 g of Safe, for gallons the formula is

for chlorine it would be

x = 0.7*L*n where x = amount to use in mg, L = volume of water (tank volume if added to tank, or source volume if water change water). n = chlorine level in mg/L (ppm). So a 500 L tank with 2.5 mg/L of chlorine would require 500 * 2.5 * 0.7 = 875 mg, for gallons the formula is

for ammonia it would be

x = 3*L*a where x = amount to use in mg, L = volume of water (tank volume if added to tank, or source volume if water change water). a = ammonia level in mg/L (ppm). So a 500 L tank with 2.5 mg/L of ammonia would require 500 * 2.5 * 3 = 3750 or 3.75 g for gallons the formula is

Digital Spoon Scale

I hope this helps!

Product Support 102086

After reading this from what I understand you need to know the chlorine and chloramine concentration of the tap water before knowing how much safe to use. Does that means we need to get a test kit to test the chlorine and chloramine or how would we be able to know that?

bossanova
05-12-2017, 12:37 AM
After reading this from what I understand you need to know the chlorine and chloramine concentration of the tap water before knowing how much safe to use. Does that means we need to get a test kit to test the chlorine and chloramine or how would we be able to know that?

Your local water utility generally has that information, depending on where you live.

Ie: https://www.dcwater.com/sites/default/files/DC_Water_Annual_WQReport_2015.pdf

Megalodon
05-12-2017, 03:31 AM
Chlorine levels can vary wildly so I always test and add more dechlorinator if necessary.

DISCUS STU
05-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Seachem Su

Hi Seachem .

Filip .

Seachem Su

Hello Fillip,

for chlorine it would be

for ammonia it would be

Digital Spoon Scale

I hope this helps!

Product Support 102086

Lol sorry I'm an American (U.S.) and don't speak metric :D. This is all very complicated including verifying the amounts of chlorine and chloramine in my water.

Suffice it to say, I was double dosing anyway with Prime and then switch to Safe. As I posted previously in this space I'm probably dosing at 2-3 times the recommendation per water change as I don't own a 1/8 tsp. but modified a 1/4 tsp. at these prices for Safe I'm good to go with my 50% water changes every 2-3 days on my 55 gal (208 l) , 60 gal. (227 l), and 90 gal (334 l), ok I don't want to be an Ugly American and also gave this in liters.

Skip
05-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Skip,

since the measuring spoon doesn't have 1/24 tsp, so a DASH = 1/12 tsp would be equivalent to that?

no.. 1/12 is 2x more then 1/24.. probably better off going with heavy PINCH but less then a SMIDGEN :)

Clawhammer
05-12-2017, 11:51 AM
If you are dosing the tank and then adding Safe, this further complicates the exact calculation, as some of the Safe will detox nitrates and metals already present in the tank.

I use the small spoons and double the recommended dose for my full water volume (not just the amount being changed) without any issue.

Does anyone know how a harmful overdose of Safe would manifest itself in the fish's behavior? Would the fish breathe heavy, stop eating, dart, etc?

HarryDk
05-13-2017, 11:40 AM
When I switch to SAFE from PRIME, I email Seachem to ask whether I can create a pre-mix SAFE with water to make PRIME, they said SAFE will not hold more than 48 hours in liquid form like PRIME so it isn't an option, they also suggest you can just double regular dose if your chlorine from tap is unstable. anyway, SAFE is the absolutely best for me :D

HarryDk
05-13-2017, 11:45 AM
To Eric:

I have dose 5x regular dose for a friend's tank that have ammonia during cycle, the poor guy throw his discus in a brand new from shop tank with new canister ... in 3 days his ammonia is somewhere 1-2 etc. With 5x dosage, discus seem just fine, no sign of irritation and I'm very impress how SAFE can detox ammonia so well lol.