PDA

View Full Version : Fire Red Not So Red - Am I doing something wrong?

Clawhammer
05-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Hi Everyone.

I have had this "Fire Red" discus since 3", and have been patiently awaiting the day it actually turns red. Unfortunately, at 6" it is still orange.

I wonder if this is the result of what I feed, maybe the decor of the tank, or if I just got unlucky from a genetic standpoint. I feed this guy a mix of beefheart, FDBW, and Tetracolor granules. There is a tiny amount of red on the dorsal and anal fin, but thats it.

Skip
05-17-2017, 10:55 AM
its just genetics

Clawhammer
05-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks Skip, he is one of the most interesting to watch in the tank from a behavioral perspective, so I will just try to be content with my "Fire Orange" discus.

CliffsDiscus
05-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Fire Red is the name only their color are actually
orange.

Cliff

DatDiscusDude
05-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Eric, to second what cliff stated, I always believed these fish were an orange or a deeper orange but always orange.

I personally believe that the term "red" is thrown around often with discus, yet there are few that actually have and hold a true red color.

Have you looked up other fire reds and still feel yours has an off color?

If its any consolation it looks like a lovely fish!

Clawhammer
05-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Eric, to second what cliff stated, I always believed these fish were an orange or a deeper orange but always orange.

I personally believe that the term "red" is thrown around often with discus, yet there are few that actually have and hold a true red color.

Have you looked up other fire reds and still feel yours has an off color?

If its any consolation it looks like a lovely fish!

Thanks, I like his size and shape, just disappointed in his color. This pic actually makes him look more red than he is, and I believe he is on the orange side compared to most Fire Red pics I see online, including the source's website.

I actually picked up a Fuji Red from Kenny 1.5 months ago, so I do have some real red in QT right now, looking forward to seeing it in the display tank.

Davidzil
05-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Yes, same here, the reds from Hans more on the Orange side, but still great looking fish.
I did see them in Europe and they were more on the red side.

Skip
05-17-2017, 02:43 PM
you could ENHANCE the color too. .

Ryan925
05-17-2017, 03:09 PM
I think the fish looks great. Kenny does have some serious reds. The rafflesia I got from him is definitely red

Larry Bugg
05-17-2017, 03:49 PM
If it is a male that would contribute also. With most red discus the female's are red and the males not so much.

Clawhammer
05-17-2017, 04:19 PM
If it is a male that would contribute also. With most red discus the female's are red and the males not so much.

Thanks Larry, Kenny had mentioned this when I picked out the Fuji Red (so I picked a female), but I didn't think to apply the rule in this case. That really helps explain what I am seeing... Definitely a male.