PDA

View Full Version : Looking to keep Discus

koiman61
05-24-2017, 06:05 PM
Looking for any help with all aspect of keeping Discus. I have a 55 gal tank that I am going to use. Any suggestions on filter, food, heaters, water. I live in NM so the water here is very hard out of the tap. I have watched several videos about keeping them, one was with the guy that started this forum(forgot his name). From what i have seen and read it would be good to start out with about 3-6 fish, any suggestions of which breeds would be good to start out with would be great. Heard Kenny's or Han are good.

Thanks Mark

Jenene
05-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Simply! I am just coming up on my first year of discus keeping so I am not an expert but an new enough I remember the uncertainties that these fish can bring when just starting out. It is great that you saw Al's video on keeping Discus. It is a great introduction and has tons of useful information.

Three discus is not enough for starters. You need at least five to keep the aggression dispersed. You could do 6 in a 55. It is best to get them all at once so you will not have to quarantine any new ones down the road.

Any domestics would be a good start. Just pick the ones you like but go for the largest size you can afford. The smaller demand more feedings and larger water changes. Small mistakes or missed water changes can cause stress and illness much faster.

There are many members here that will be better able to help you with your water. I am lucky to have great tap water. The first thing they would suggest is to get a test kit and test the water out of the tap. Then age the water in a bucket with an air stone for 24 hours and retest the ph to see if there is a difference. I would start there. Post your results and let the experts take over with a water management plan.

For the filters you have the choice of sponge filters, canisters or a sump. It is completely a personal choice of what you want to maintain in the long run. There is always much debate and everyone has their favorites.

As far as a heater I would use two on a controller such as an inkbird. The controller is a fail safe against the heater sticking on and cooking your fish or turning off and dropping the temp. The model 308T I believe has a low and high temp alarm to alert you of problems. Again many models of heaters, everyone thinks theirs is the best. I use the Eheim Jagers.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B01MDSWXY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495669262&sr=8-1&keywords=inkbird+308

Any of the sponsors here are great. I am a Kenny life time fan. I have his fish and could never imagine the quality or customer service could be so amazing. Again a personal preference.

The food will come later, you have a lot to chew on already here. There are so many articles in the archives that can help you as well. But for starters test and age that water. Go get a freshwater test kit and see what you are working with. Clean, stable water is what these fish need.

Keep reading and learning and you will be well on your way.

koiman61
05-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks Jenene, from Syracuse myself. freshwater test kits ? are they available at more pet stores? I was on Kenny's website..did not like that he has them in an empty bucket to display them. But a lot of people like the quality of his fish. I was think of 4" fish would that be good or go with larger ones? I heard of a diy biofilter using K1 media, was wondering if you heard of it and if it is good to use with discus? If using sponge filter how often do you rinse out?

Thanks again
Mark

Ryan925
05-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Thanks Jenene, from Syracuse myself. freshwater test kits ? are they available at more pet stores? I was on Kenny's website..did not like that he has them in an empty bucket to display them. But a lot of people like the quality of his fish. I was think of 4" fish would that be good or go with larger ones? I heard of a diy biofilter using K1 media, was wondering if you heard of it and if it is good to use with discus? If using sponge filter how often do you rinse out?

Thanks again
Mark

Having them in a bucket with a tiny bit of water is common place not just a practice of Kenny.

Discus keepers will also change 100% water or even pick the discus out of their tank with their hands so there is no concern for the fish there.

All my fish are from Kenny as well. His stock is top quality and his customer service is second to none.

You can use k1, sponge, hob, canister or sump. As jenene says it's personal preference.

Jenene
05-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Yes Mark any pet store or fish store would have them. I use the API which is the most common I think. You do really have to watch the expiration dates on them and really shake the Nitrate bottles for the time they direct you to because it tends to crystallize in the bottle and alter your results. There are also the Salifert tests which I have no experience with.

The photos that you speak of are actually taken by the exporter Forrest Teo in Malaysia. It is the best way to get a good look at the fish and does not harm them in any way. He has been doing this for many, many years and his stock are extremely healthy, round and colorful. Kenny brings them into the states for us, intensively quarantines them and is one of the kindest, most honest men I have ever known. He listens to your requests and is an expert(although he is humble enough to never use this word for himself) at packing and shipping fish. He checks the weather at each destination to ensure his packing will exceed the requirements of the weather. He also track each shipment carefully.
4 to 4 1/2" is a good size to start.

I have a sump so I can't speak up on the K1 but someone here will jump in.

The sponge will need to be squeezed out in tank water depending on how heavy and often you are feeding. Some people clean them every few days some longer depending on how dirty they get. I run one in my sump as extra filtration.

koiman61
05-25-2017, 12:44 AM
If I am ask Jenene, How is your sump set up? I think i am thinking on using that as filteration. Can the fish be different sizes, like a coulpe be 4" a few be 5"
Thanks Mark

Jenene
05-25-2017, 01:51 AM
Hey Mark, You can mix them as long as you keep them kind of close. That is fine. If you had all 6" established and threw in a 3" you may have some issues. I have a few that are 2" difference and they are just a bit lower on the pecking order but perfectly normal behavior.

I love the ease of sump maintenance and the fact that it adds extra water volume to your tank. It is also a great place to hide everything out of sight so the only thing you see are your beautiful fish. There are many choices on sumps. You can make your own from an extra tank and some Poret Foam or get fancy with baffles either made or purchased on ebay. I bought mine before I found the forum and it was not the best choice but I have since dialed it in and it works for me. It is really designed for marine set ups and has some tight sots that are hard to clean. Hence the thread I am copying in here. I have since removed the no3 brick in the center chamber since it was just a crumbly mess and repaired the egg crate baffles that separate the media. I basically have different means of mechanical and biological filtration. It comes in goes through a filter sock, through some extra Poret layers, into the center that has an extra sponge filter, then into the media compartment with various pore sizes of the Poret foam, filter floss, some Seachem Matrix bio material, and a big bag of Purigen that keeps the water crystal clear before it goes to the return. That is just mine tho. There are the wet dry that are great and some people go crazy with reactors and all sorts of other things. There are tons of threads about sumps here. You can just type into the search and have enogh reading for the weekend!
Here is a thread I started on cleaning the sumps and an older pic of mine which has since been cleaned up and rid of that brick!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?128052-How-often-should-we-be-cleaning-sumps&highlight=

Here is a pic of the life that sump supports- Kenny's lovelies... The sizes look very different but the pic was taken at an angle. They are not really that different. This was a few months ago, they have continued to grow since this one.

koiman61
05-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Wow Jenene, they are beautiful!! So you are one that does not believe in a substrat. What size tank is that and size of fish? I love the very top blue one (may be a turq). I will start on testing the water i have. So from what i think you said is smaller groups of Discus attack each other like Anglefish do, so best in larger groups. Thank you for all the help Jenene.

Mark

Jenene
05-25-2017, 11:36 PM
Hey Mark, yes I am one of the many no substraters! Lol! I had sand in there before the fish arrived and I just did not think I could keep it clean enough. It was a really fine sand. Many here use a thin layer of pool filter sand with no issues. I have just really gotten used to the ease of the bare bottom. I have a very gentle power head that sweeps the detritus into a nice neat little pile ready to siphon or vacuum.
It is very simple and the tank always looks clean. The driftwood is the only thing breaking up the "glass box" look.

The tank is a 75 gallon corner flow built into a wall between the family room and living room. The sump is 20 gallons. I really wish I had gone bigger but we would have had to take more wall out. It had already been done for my 75 gallon community tank so we just kept it the same.

I bought the fish at 3.5" to 5" if I remember correctly. The smallest is now about 5.5" (my Albino Platinum) and the largest is pushing 7" (the Eruption Leopard). I would say the average size of all of them is just over 6".

Yes, larger groups are key. Even with a larger group I have had plenty of issues with aggression but I have since learned it is the nature of the beast and they have always worked it out- at least so far.

The top blue guy is my Eruption Leopard. Kenny seems to always get gorgeous ones in all of the shipments I have seen this year. He is my largest at nearly 7". Even though he is the biggest, most of the time he play the peace keeper and inserts himself between two aggressors.

You are very welcome Mark, glad to help. :)

Ryan925
05-26-2017, 12:49 AM
Mark if you are considering a sump they really are pretty easy to build with no prior experience. I just built one out of a 40B. I got the 40 at a petco $/gallon sale and spent about $100 on baffles at tap plastics.

I kinda overdid mine but that was by design. When I upgrade my tank size I want to be able to still use it. You could go super simple and inexpensive and use poret foam as baffles. I am using poret on my sump intake

Like my friend jenene here I also have a 75 but mine does have sand 109966

Mine are also all from Kenny.

Good luck and keep doing your research

Jenene
05-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Hey Ryan is the beer can for a size reference or were you just thirsty? :p Sorry I had to go there....:focus:

Filip
05-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Hey Ryan is the beer can for a size reference or were you just thirsty? :p Sorry I had to go there....:focus:

Now that you've mention it Jenene I cant help my self not going further noticing the brand name of that beer :). " Arrogant b.stard Ale " how is that for a beer brand name :) .Haha :).
Nice choice Ryan ;).

Jenene
05-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Now that you've mention it Jenene I cant help my self not going further noticing the brand name of that beer :). " Arrogant b.stard Ale " how is that for a beer brand name :) .Haha :).
Nice choice Ryan ;).

Oh... I noticed Filip! Sounds like a micro brew. I am sure Ryan will fill us in. Sorry Mark! We have lost all control! ;) (Good to see you Filip!)

Ryan925
05-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Nice choice Ryan ;).

Lol that's my wc ritual

It's my namesake Filip lol. Kidding. It's by a fantastic craft brewery out of San Diego called Stone

Jenene
05-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Oh... I noticed Filip! Sounds like a micro brew. I am sure Ryan will fill us in. Sorry Mark! We have lost all control! ;) (Good to see you Filip!)

Lol that's my wc ritual

It's my namesake Filip lol. Kidding. It's by a fantastic craft brewery out of San Diego called Stone

And THERE it is!;)

Phillydubs
05-26-2017, 04:28 PM
And THERE it is!;)

Nice to see all you crazy folks still mixing jokes with fish!

Screw the beer can! Look at those beef slabs of discus! Lovely Ryan and Jenene!

Jenene
05-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Nice to see all you crazy folks still mixing jokes with fish!

Screw the beer can! Look at those beef slabs of discus! Lovely Ryan and Jenene!

All my favorite guys back in one place! :D If I could put a bigger smile on that emoji I would!
(Sorry Mark we took your thread over. I hope we are helping you.) We are still here for you...:)

koiman61
05-26-2017, 09:42 PM
It is all good Jenene!! I think it is awesome that you all are like family.
Ryan they are beautiful as well. Like your tank my 55 gal is a regular tank not a overflow. Could you tell me where you got your intake and return. I think that is it in the right corner.
I did not realize that there are different types of driftwood, if one could tell me the best type to use with discus that would be great.
I tested the tap water here, waiting to test it after 24 hrs. the pH is 8 Alk 180 hardness is about 160 the nitrate and rite where about 0.
Pilip what type of discus are on your photo? I like those.

Thank for all the input and help
Mark

Ryan925
05-26-2017, 09:44 PM
It is all good Jenene!! I think it is awesome that you all are like family.
Ryan they are beautiful as well. Like your tank my 55 gal is a regular tank not a overflow. Could you tell me where you got your intake and return. I think that is it in the right corner.
I did not realize that there are different types of driftwood, if one could tell me the best type to use with discus that would be great.
I tested the tap water here, waiting to test it after 24 hrs. the pH is 8 Alk 180 hardness is about 160 the nitrate and rite where about 0.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Right now I am running my canister still. My sump is done just not in use yet. I still need to find the time to build a stand to house it. I will be using an external overflow. You don't need to have a drilled tank although that would be ideal.

There are different types of wood. Mopani, Malaysian and manzanita work. Manzanita has become my preference.

koiman61
05-26-2017, 10:04 PM
You all have been a great help, Thank you so much.

Jenene
05-26-2017, 10:06 PM
You all have been a great help, Thank you so much.

Welcome to the family. :o

koiman61
05-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Hello Ryan, could you send me more info on external overflow, that is what i most likely use. Thank you
Can I get the driftwood online or at a local store, what is best?

koiman61
05-26-2017, 10:09 PM
:o

Jenene
05-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Hello Ryan, could you send me more info on external overflow, that is what i most likely use. Thank you

I can pipe in on the wood. It depends on what you want. If you want something bigger and thicker like I have a local place is better so you can see it and handle it in person. An aquarium specialty shop is likely to have the best selection. You can tell by the weight when you hold it if it will sink or not. I went through 2 other pieces and a lot of money before I found my big piece in the tank now. I ordered one from ebay and it never sank. I gave up and it is in my community tank weighed down by rocks.

Some Mopani wood will exude a harmless but annoying white starchy kind of stuff. It is harmless to the fish but it is not nice to look at. If you have a pleco in the tank it will take care of it. If not you can scrub but it will come back for a few months and then stop. My other piece of Mopani had a rotting smell to it so I just took it out.

I now have a Malaysian type. It is heavy, have very little tannins in it and never rotted or excreted anything gross.

Ryan's Mazanita is really nice too. It adds interest yet does not take over the entire tank. Most people buy it online. If you do a search in the spot at the top right of the page there will be threads with links online. Maybe Ryan can help out fromwhere he got his if Mazanita is the way you want to go. Hope this helps!

Ryan925
05-27-2017, 12:12 AM

Check out the eshopps overflows. You want one with dual outlets so you can do a herbie style overflow.

The wood I got was from manzanitadirect. They have an eBay store. They sent me free pieces each time I have ordered. Shipping was reasonable and product was nice.

koiman61
05-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Herbie style overflow?

Jenene
05-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Herbie style overflow?

Here ya go Mark. All the credit for this goes to Ryan. I just remember seeing it and pulled it off an old thread. Hope it helps. My tank is drilled so I never had to do this.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Filip
05-29-2017, 03:10 AM
Mark

Those were Red Turks from a Danziger farm(Israeli breeder ) .