PDA

View Full Version : My discus got beaten by a Blue ram ...

HarryDk
05-31-2017, 09:31 AM
I've got a pair of blue ram introduced in display tank about a month ago and recently they are beating the crap out of my ~8" Giant Flora Red Turq .... Right now they are officially take ownership of that corner with nice bunch of anubias. It was belong to the Turq, he tried to fight back and lost miserably. I think the ram want to breed ( would they survive?), but not too sure if this is good in the long term.
I still don't get it, my discus is a high ranker, also biggest yet got owned by a tiny ram ... interesting sight to watch as the 2 ram poking his *** :evilgrin:, still, should I remove the ram or leave them be, or even get a few more ram.

Filip
05-31-2017, 09:49 AM
I once had a pair of Kribs with my Discus and when they were pairing , they chase away discus like little babies . No one could get near them and their home and they successfully raised the fry in a tank full of discus .
I believe that your rams will be able to do the same in your tank .

With that said I would not like to put my discus exposed to such an agrression again unless I have a very big tank with lots of space for establishing territories

Larry Bugg
05-31-2017, 09:54 AM
Most of the time GBR make terrible parents. They will guard the fry for a day or two but then they end up eating them. In a community tank it is even worse. Very rare for GBR fry to survive in a community tank.

HarryDk
05-31-2017, 10:02 AM
It is a funny sight to watch. This tank is nearly 600L and only 8 discus, plenty of space for now. I kind of hope the baby ram can hide under the plants or something :)

Larry Bugg
05-31-2017, 02:18 PM
Shared this vid here many times. One of my favorite videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62fBGe6p-lw&t=84s