PDA

View Full Version : Adding PFS back to an existing set-up

Phillydubs
06-01-2017, 10:40 AM
I was wondering if there were any tips/tricks or if I was missing anything in regards to adding sand back to my set-up...?

I suppose my little pony pump packs more of a punch than I thought, I guess over the last 6 months or so of constant WC the sand has really diminished, its almost half BB half sand at this point. You don't even notice it much, but I do and it is annoying me.

I was planning to go grab a bag of PFS, rinse it really good and during my next WC just add it in as I siphon out... Simple right?

Thanks

Ryan925
06-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Would seem so to me as long as you do some serious rinsing.

Poppa Ryno
06-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Ive done this recently. I just made sure to rinse it until the water coming out was crystal clear. No bubbles. Then added in bowl by bowl.

Phillydubs
06-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Thanks Ryan Squared! Will do!

discuspaul
06-01-2017, 02:31 PM
No problem adding fresh PFS (rinsed) to existing sand that has been reduced through siphoning with wcs.
Matter of fact, as & when your PFS begins to get somewhat dirtied over time, or greens up a bit with algae, simply siphon off the top 10% or 15% layer of the soiled sand, and replace it with new sand.
Will keep your sand looking like pristine new all the time.

Ryan925
06-01-2017, 02:43 PM
No problem adding fresh PFS (rinsed) to existing sand that has been reduced through siphoning with wcs.
Matter of fact, as & when your PFS begins to get somewhat dirtied over time, or greens up a bit with algae, simply siphon off the top 10% or 15% layer of the soiled sand, and replace it with new sand.

Great idea. I'm starting to get the dingy sand look after many months

Clawhammer
06-01-2017, 03:26 PM

Great advice, I think I will do this. The summer sun has brightened up my fish room and led to increase brown algae on my PFS

100fuegos
06-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Use the bottle method.

See...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6ZI5Or814

discuspaul
06-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Great way to add sand with little disruption.