PDA

View Full Version : artifical plants

matt2426
06-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Whats your guys take on fake plants is it more of a mess with food and what not getting stuck in them or is it ok to put in there thanks

Neptune
06-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Hey if they float your boat go for it.
The only downside I see is that they will get in the way during frequent tank cleanings.

matt2426
06-02-2017, 04:54 PM
ok thanks this is what I'm thinking110306

Phillydubs
06-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Also, make sure they aren't rough, point, or any other form of hazard for the fish...

Not for my liking but some folks enjoy them, they look far too fake and just stick out like a sore thumb to me. If you are going to roll with them, try good silk plants, they flow like real ones and are softer...

I think that tank would nice with no plants at all, to me the plants take away from the real look you have going

Filip
06-02-2017, 05:31 PM
You will have to shake them prior WCs to get the debris out of them . Other than that I don't see any other drawback.
From aesthetical POV I tottaly agree with Phill.
Your tank with that great looking natural background and your wood would look much nicer without plastics in it. But that's just my personal opinion Matt . To each his own.

Ryan925
06-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Nice looking tank. Would look more natural without the plants but that's just my humble opinion

matt2426
06-02-2017, 05:39 PM
right thanks guys the main reason I have the plants is to hide a nasty scratch the right side of the tank its a brand new tank and I scrapped the crap out of it putting in that driftwood and background nothing can ever go perfect didn't even get any fish in it and already scratched but I do agree the naturally look probally will look better just trying to find a way to cover it up but looks like ill just have to deal with it because theres really not much of a cure for scratches in glass

Phillydubs
06-02-2017, 06:14 PM
where is the scratch? can you show more pics please?

matt2426
06-02-2017, 06:44 PM
110308 couldn't get a great pic but its right above the nub on the driftwood

Phillydubs
06-02-2017, 06:47 PM
On the front glass? I'm not sure how I follow the fake plants hiding a scratch ?

Either way I wouldn't be too focused on that once you have some big beautiful Discus swimming around in there the focus will be on them and people won't really be taking into account the scratches on your tank as long as it holds water and isn't just scratch to death where you can't see but one spot I wanted really harp on

Neptune
06-02-2017, 06:49 PM
my two cents...take the rounded rock on the far left and tuck it into the wood on the right- behind where the lower branch arcs down and touches the sand. Frame it with the two branches, then pull the plants.

matt2426
06-02-2017, 06:58 PM
think your right phil just worrying to much wanted everything to come out perfect but ill give that a try Neptune and see what it looks like you guys convinced me its gana look better natural the plants look kind of chessy

Ryan925
06-02-2017, 08:18 PM
I've accidently put some scratches in my glass with my mag float and getting sand caught. There are actually many more than I thought. You can't even see them unless algae starts to grow in them then I just scrub it off they really are not noticeable at all. You just notice them because you know they are there.

The others are right once you have vibrantly colored fish in your tank the eyes will never notice the glass. Especially the glass

matt2426
06-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Think you guys are right looks better natural may do some slight adjustments with the rocks but looks like I'm just about ready for discus

Filip
06-02-2017, 10:18 PM

Think you guys are right looks better natural may do some slight adjustments with the rocks but looks like I'm just about ready for discus

Looks way better Matt , at least IMO .
Put some potted Amazon swords if you must . That way you'll still have some greenery in it but it would look more natural .

BmoreBraap
06-03-2017, 12:06 AM
I use all fake plants in my tanks...like other states already, watch out for any hard/pointy ones and the more you have the more you will need to move and clean under during WCs...

Dam777
06-04-2017, 12:14 PM
If you want some green you can go with the real thing. Attach some anubius or java fern to the wood with fishing line.

matt2426
06-04-2017, 06:33 PM
That's an idea Dam777 never keep real plants in a tank before are anubius hard to keep do you need to do anything special

Ryan925
06-04-2017, 06:50 PM
That's an idea Dam777 never keep real plants in a tank before are anubius hard to keep do you need to do anything special

Anubias are very easy and there are many varieties

matt2426
06-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Anubias are very easy and there are many varieties

Ok I may consider it do they need any kind of special lighting or any kind of extra water treatment or chemicals to add never really looked into keeping plants before I may need to do a little research

Ryan925
06-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Ok I may consider it do they need any kind of special lighting or any kind of extra water treatment or chemicals to add never really looked into keeping plants before I may need to do a little research

Nice thing about anubius is they are not very demanding plants. They don't need high light and ferts to thrive.

I'd still do a little research so you know of their needs but they do well in discus tanks
I

bluelagoon
06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Looks much better than that green plastic.Plastic plants don't look nice to my eye.

Phillydubs
06-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Very nice without the plants for sure, as expected!

Have you ever kept discus before. Not to knock your or anyone elses suggestions or experience but if I were you, get the discus and let them settle and enjoy them and get in a rythem.

If you never kept plants before, you start mixing all these variables and I think it may hinder your success in the long run.

As always, your tank, your time and of course your casheee! LOL...Just trying to be helpful and steer you to a path of success.

matt2426
06-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Very nice without the plants for sure, as expected!

Have you ever kept discus before. Not to knock your or anyone elses suggestions or experience but if I were you, get the discus and let them settle and enjoy them and get in a rythem.

If you never kept plants before, you start mixing all these variables and I think it may hinder your success in the long run.

As always, your tank, your time and of course your casheee! LOL...Just trying to be helpful and steer you to a path of success.

Hi Phil ya ive kept discus before but took about a 5 year break due to not having enough time to properly take care of them and after staring at my empty tank the last few days lol I really like the set up how I have it I think I'm just going to leave it as is I may end up adding another small piece of driftwood in there plants are tempting but I just don't know enough about them maybe down the road ill get into plants but right now I think I'm just going with the driftwood set up thanks for all of the suggestions everybody

Phillydubs
06-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Cool! Seems like a wise choice. Now what discus are going to fill that bad boy up?

Dam777
06-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Very easy to grow. There are a wide variety of sizes and shapes. I prefer the smaller ones tied to wood. They require nothing special in regards to light and no fertilizer reqiured.

matt2426
06-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Cool! Seems like a wise choice. Now what discus are going to fill that bad boy up?

I'm going to make an order with Kenny as soon as I save up a little money going to do a variety a few spotted, a few pegion couple of solid blues and couple of solid reds thinking about getting ten total

matt2426
06-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Very easy to grow. There are a wide variety of sizes and shapes. I prefer the smaller ones tied to wood. They require nothing special in regards to light and no fertilizer reqiured.

OK thanks Dam ill do a little research just don't want to make discus keeping any harder than it always is

Ryan925
06-06-2017, 07:36 PM
OK thanks Dam ill do a little research just don't want to make discus keeping any harder than it always is

They are super easy plants but I think you are smart to keep things simple to start. You could always add plants once you get the feel of your tank and what your fish require. I did things quite opposite. It's much more work to simplify things than to start simple then go from there

matt2426
06-06-2017, 07:51 PM
They are super easy plants but I think you are smart to keep things simple to start. You could always add plants once you get the feel of your tank and what your fish require. I did things quite opposite. It's much more work to simplify things than to start simple then go from there

Thanks Ryan good advice ya that's what I'm thinking keep it simple make sure I'm keeping healthy discus with clean water first and if I don't run into problems then ill probally add a few plants but I think the tank really looks good without them but I might want to mix it up at some point

Ryan925
06-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks Ryan good advice ya that's what I'm thinking keep it simple make sure I'm keeping healthy discus with clean water first and if I don't run into problems then ill probally add a few plants but I think the tank really looks good without them but I might want to mix it up at some point

I had no experience with plants and actually had success with a lush planted tank but was so much better for the fish removing it all. After that I really grew fond of the landscape look and actually prefer it now

I even removed all if my rocks because they trap a lot of debris. Now just sand and manzanita and very happy with the look and maintenance factor

matt2426
06-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback I can't wait to get some discus in there took a 5 year break from discus and actually all fish keeping been piecing this setup the last few months everything from the new tank to new background/driftwood to lights etc finally ready for discus hopefully within the next month or so ill have enough cash saved up to make my order getting excited!

Ryan925
06-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback I can't wait to get some discus in there took a 5 year break from discus and actually all fish keeping been piecing this setup the last few months everything from the new tank to new background/driftwood to lights etc finally ready for discus hopefully within the next month or so ill have enough cash saved up to make my order getting excited!

Do you know what strains you are going for and where you will be getting them?

matt2426
06-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Do you know what strains you are going for and where you will be getting them?

Im going through Kenny and I'm going to being doing a variety not 100 perecent on exact strains but thinking 3 to 4 spotted 2 pegions 2 solid reds and 2 solid blues

Ryan925
06-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Im going through Kenny and I'm going to being doing a variety not 100 perecent on exact strains but thinking 3 to 4 spotted 2 pegions 2 solid reds and 2 solid blues

Nice mine are all from Kenny. Very similar mixture to what you are planning also