PDA

View Full Version : 40 Gallon Patio Pond Journal

jmf3460
06-05-2017, 10:02 AM
This weekend I set up a Patio pond. I have always wanted an outdoor koi pond but have never pulled the trigger. Well Saturday I set up a small 40 gallon garden pond on my side porch that faces South. I used a 40 gallon cow watering trough, and went and got lots of marginal pond plants as well has a water lily and some floating water hyacinth. I've got the marginal plants planted in plastic baskets sitting on top of upside down terracotta pots. I just used pebbles and rocks from my driveway to plant them. I used water change water from my discus tank to fill this tank and will continue to do that as I begin to change water on this little pond. I do not plan to do waterchanges often, perhaps once every two weeks, but i will have to top it off probably every other day or so. After its all said and done I will have about $250 in this little pond. I am ordering a solar powered aerator on Amazon today and that will be all I need to purchase beside the goldfish once I find ones I like. I am also getting some mosquitofish (gambusia) to put in there this week for added mosquito control. I will add the plant names later. For now I just wanted to start my thread and show some pictures.

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2017, 11:24 AM
This is super Jacklyn and looking forward to pictures as it grows in. :D I bet you will end up with tadpoles in it.
Pat

Phillydubs
06-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Well this looks really pretty and nice! I could see myself sipping a beer and enjoying something like this on a summer day!

I have to ask though, it looks rather well packed as is and the pants will grow and fill in? Most goldfish get pretty big and fast right? What would the plan be for adding fish? What will you do in colder months?

jmf3460
06-05-2017, 12:07 PM
This is super Jacklyn and looking forward to pictures as it grows in. :D I bet you will end up with tadpoles in it.
Pat

Thanks Pat!!! Hopefully the mosquito fish and goldfish will take care of the tadpoles as I don't want a tadpole or mosquito breeding ground (I already have 3 of those lol)

Well this looks really pretty and nice! I could see myself sipping a beer and enjoying something like this on a summer day!

I have to ask though, it looks rather well packed as is and the pants will grow and fill in? Most goldfish get pretty big and fast right? What would the plan be for adding fish? What will you do in colder months?

Its not overly packed Phil, I the plants in the plastic baskets only go down about 6" into the water column and are held up by upside down terra cotta pots. All the others are floating plants with only roots going down into the water. I was not planning on doing koi or comet goldfish that get huge. Probably more of the fancy goldfish that stay relatively small and just two in there. In the winter they will probably have to reside in a brute trashcan/Rubbermaid container with an aerator in the basement.

Phillydubs
06-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Got it thanks for the Info! I guess the pictures are very deceiving from the top.

I know next to nothing about Goldie's. But sounds cool!

I've heard of people in warmer climates using angles for these types of set ups as they seem hardy as well?

jmf3460
06-05-2017, 01:02 PM
actually does anyone have any suggestions for a 40gallon patio pond as far as goldfish go? Now I am seeing that there are way more types than I thought.

Debow
06-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks alot! Now you got me intrested lol Like I need another water related project haha. It looks very cool and I will be watching as you grow it.

jmf3460
06-06-2017, 08:37 AM
well last night during an awful thunderstorm, I went and purchased three ryukin goldfish. They are quite small now but really cute. I got one black, one gold and one white/orange combination. I did a bit of research and the ryukin stay smaller ranging 4"-8" and do well in 40 gallon ponds. I will have to bring them in during the winter though. I floated the baggie for about 2 hours, adding a half cup of water at a time. Then I did a big water change in the pond with discus tank water change water (carrying 5gallon buckets through my yard in the rain might I add) and plopped those suckers in. This morning they were alive and well. I fed them flakes and they ate as the flakes sank but didn't come to the surface yet. I had to get a flashlight to see them down at the bottom. Hopefully these underwater lights ive ordered will help me to see them. I also added some water lettuce
110351 with the bag floating

jmf3460
06-06-2017, 08:40 AM
i also bought this off amazon and it will be delivered tomorrow. hopefully it will work, https://www.amazon.com/Beckett-Corporation-Air-Pump-Solar/dp/B00G93ZTR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496752706&sr=8-1&keywords=beckett+solar+water+fountain+pump

i also bought submersible lights with a remote.

Phillydubs
06-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Wow another lady on here who hits the ground running! You just took off with this! So cool!

Can I ask why the discus waste water as change water? Are you just trying to get some bacteria going? Or will this be your plan always for the pond set up?

Do goldfish prefer groups or anything like that or do they not care. Also what temps do they like and how do you plan to manage that?

Sounds like you got some cool stuff on order!

Oh and what happens in such a storm if the rain accumulates, just some spill over in the pond I assume?

jmf3460
06-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Can I ask why the discus waste water as change water? Are you just trying to get some bacteria going? Or will this be your plan always for the pond set up?

Do goldfish prefer groups or anything like that or do they not care. Also what temps do they like and how do you plan to manage that?

Oh and what happens in such a storm if the rain accumulates, just some spill over in the pond I assume?

This pond is under an awning Phil, no rain can get to it. I will probably continue to use the discus water change water for this pond because it is full of nitrates and other minerals that the plants in this pond will soak up for fertilizer. Also goldfish do not require as pristine of water as discus do so the discus water change water is pretty clean for them. The water i siphon out of my discus tank has less than 10ppm nitrates, usually more toward zero so its really better than my regular tap water, and is a good temperature as out of my outdoor spigot would be really cold. From what i have read, these goldfish can tolerate temperatures down to the 60s and up to the 90s so for this time of year they will be completely fine. Even in the heat of august, this tank is in the shade from 11:30am on so i don't see it getting to hot. I don't think goldfish are a schooling fish like discus, but the three i have were together this morning when i fed them.

EJ_B
06-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Very nice. I used to keep a similar set up. Watch that water lettuce and Hyacinth though. They start out kind of slow, but once they start growing they multiply very rapidly and will soon take over the entire surface. Their root systems also grow huge and may choke out your water lily.

brewmaster15
06-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Looks Great Jacklyn! You will definitely be pruning the hyacinth alot!

One plant you may want to add is bladderwort
Its a very cool little insect eating plant. It has nice flowers that float.

Al

jmf3460
06-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Very nice. I used to keep a similar set up. Watch that water lettuce and Hyacinth though. They start out kind of slow, but once they start growing they multiply very rapidly and will soon take over the entire surface. Their root systems also grow huge and may choke out your water lily.

Thanks for the advice EJ. I actually trimmed the roots on the water hyacinth already because they were just huge and I thought it might help promote new growth. but I did not know to watch out for it. I have had experience with water lettuce so I know how fast it can grow. Luckily I have other water barrels sitting around and my fish tanks I can use. what I am disappointed about is that some how some duckweed has started growing. I suspect it came stuck in the roots or something of one of my floaters. hate that stuff

jmf3460
06-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Looks Great Jacklyn! You will definitely be pruning the hyacinth alot!

One plant you may want to add is bladderwort
Its a very cool little insect eating plant. It has nice flowers that float.

Al

bladderwort AL cool, wonder where I can find some of it. I have some hornwort in there floating around already because I saw it at southern states and grabbed some. I will try and find some bladderwort.

brewmaster15
06-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Its very common in ponds. Looks alot like horneort but has many "bubbles" on it. These are the bladders and they are the traps .

jmf3460
06-16-2017, 03:46 PM
short update. I've added 3 Ryukin goldfish to my little pond, what personable little fish. They come to the top when I approach the tank already and are quite the funny little swimmers. At night, when the submersible lights are on, its really cool to watch them swimming. My lily has put out about 4 new pads but no flower yet. The water lettuce is multiplying quite rapidly but the best part is that my water hyacinth are already blooming, I guess chopping the roots back didn't hurt at all. None of my marginal plants have a flower yet.
also here is a short video but it is not good quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qO3trRpHKg

Phillydubs
06-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Very Nice! Can you get a video with the lights on at some-point to see the fish swim as you describe?

jmf3460
06-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Sure Phil, ill try.

chaoslite
06-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Jacklyn,

You have started something. I took one look at your beautiful pond and the next thing I know my roommate and I are digging on the side of the yard and buying a pond liner. Shaking my head over here. It is kinda fun though.

Mishka

jmf3460
06-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Mishka, it is addicting. Right now I am really enthused by the blooming water hyacinth and the fact that I have had to thin out water lettuce twice already. Speaking of water hyacinth............another bloom!!!

chaoslite
06-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Gorgeous Jacklyn! We are still on the decorating to cover the pond liner stage but I is up and running and I have some water lettuce. I love yours. What are the little grasses in the back?

Mishka

jmf3460
06-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Gorgeous Jacklyn! We are still on the decorating to cover the pond liner stage but I is up and running and I have some water lettuce. I love yours. What are the little grasses in the back?

Mishka

I wish I could remember what all grasses I bought Mishka. I know I have canna lilies and iris but I don't remember the name of the pond frond looking plants.

chaoslite
06-21-2017, 09:18 AM
That's ok I will take your picture to Sunland Water Gardens and ask them if they have it.

Mishka

jmf3460
06-21-2017, 09:46 AM
now the grass on the back left that isn't in the pond, just to the side on an upside down 5gallon bucket is just purple fountain grass.

two utes
06-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Wow Jacklyn. That looks very pretty. I bet you really enjoy sitting out on your patio on warm sunny days enjoying your favorite beverage now. Have one on me ;) :cool:

jmf3460
06-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Wow Jacklyn. That looks very pretty. I bet you really enjoy sitting out on your patio on warm sunny days enjoying your favorite beverage now. Have one on me ;) :cool:

Thanks Joe, I love sitting out there after the sun goes down when the submersible lights are on. Cheers!

jmf3460
06-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Just an update for everyone, ive done one water change since setting this up, of 12 gallons. Planning on doing one Saturday, probably a large one.

Phillydubs
06-22-2017, 09:35 AM
I still don't believe that there are any fish in there ;)

jmf3460
06-22-2017, 10:10 AM
I still don't believe that there are any fish in there ;)

I took a video the very night you asked me to Phil but it is sideways for some reason so I didn't publish it, plus I have to use the flash at night which scares the fish. but since you've called me out, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrushteCUEU

Phillydubs
06-22-2017, 10:15 AM
It worked! Now I believe you! Hahaha....! Really sweet set-up there, looks so pretty

Poppa Ryno
06-22-2017, 10:43 AM
This is great Jacklyn! Ive been doing something similar for a few years and i keep adding sections. now im up to a 4 section 350g system. well done! I added lights this year, but am curious where you got ones with remote? Hope this continues so nicely for you, as i know you'll love it and only want it to get bigger, lol.

jmf3460
06-22-2017, 10:50 AM
This is great Jacklyn! Ive been doing something similar for a few years and i keep adding sections. now im up to a 4 section 350g system. well done! I added lights this year, but am curious where you got ones with remote? Hope this continues so nicely for you, as i know you'll love it and only want it to get bigger, lol.

Ryan I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYIGQQF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says you can submerse the battery pack, but I have my battery pack dangling off the side of the pond emersed. I got two strands but only have one in there so far. couldn't be happier, they have a timer and a dimmer on the remote.

Poppa Ryno
06-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Ryan I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYIGQQF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says you can submerse the battery pack, but I have my battery pack dangling off the side of the pond emersed. I got two strands but only have one in there so far. couldn't be happier, they have a timer and a dimmer on the remote.
Awesome. Thank you, Jacklyn.

Poppa Ryno
06-22-2017, 11:11 AM
ever thought of adding a small 10g vaccum tank to it?it makes an awesome viewing window for when the fish swim up in it and adds to the total volume. its ultra easy and only requires a 10g tank.

jmf3460
06-22-2017, 11:23 AM
actually yes ryan, ive been watching all types of videos on how these are done, I don't think a 10gal would be good because it would take up so much surface area but maybe a smaller glass dome or something

jmf3460
07-11-2017, 08:40 AM
mid july update:
HOLY PLANT GROWTH!!! Ive had to thin out water lettuce probably 4 times now. It now floats in my discus show tank, my 46 gallon bowfront, and in random buckets outside that I use to catch rain and mosquito larvae. Ive also found some (what I think to be) salvinia growing in two tubs. It must have hitchhiked in with the water lettuce or hyacinth that I bought originally. It looks really pretty I hope it takes off. The goldfish are well trained to come to the surface and eat, my niece likes to splash in the water and ties to pick up a goldfish often, she is three and is kind of clumsy but has managed to touch a goldfish a couple times. one thing I really like is the way a water hyacinth leaf looks close up. it almost looks paint brush strokes.

Poppa Ryno
07-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Looking great. Nice lush lil gazing pond. I love it

Bill63SG
07-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Very nice.And it is addicting.Heres my thread on 125 gal pond to about 5000gal. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95078-Spring-umm-pond-fever&highlight=

Jenene
07-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Looking very sweet Jacklyn. We had a small pond that we built into the deck. We had it planted with a Lily, some water grasses and Hyacinth. In warm weather you will probably be hauling the hyacinth out by the armload and tossing it. They multiply rapidly in the heat.

We finally gave up on our pond after losing too many fish to animals. Once the heron spotted them they were goners. He ate some that I had grown for 7+ years and had reproduced in the pond. Once we realized if we put a wire around the perimeter so it could no longer wade in and gave up. Then came the raccoon. The morning I got up and saw the signature piles of scales from him cleaning his catch I was done with fish. The three that remained are being re-homed to a friend's pond that has not had animal invaders.

As far as wintering over. In Rochester it gets pretty cold and the pond could freeze solid so we would bring them into the garage or sun room where the temps are cold but not enough to freeze the bins solid. As long as they are under 50 degrees there is no need to feed them and they do not need aeration. They hibernate. No food, no waste, no cleaning. In the spring as the weather warmed we would do small water changes and once above 55 degrees give them cool weather pond fish food which is easier to digest. Once safe from freezing they would go right back in after a thorough pond cleaning. Yours will be much easier at 40 gallons.

Here is an early stage pic before it was planted and a pic of the heron on the roof of the sun room taken through a second story window. I could not believe how brave he was.

Enjoy yours! It is beautiful.

EJ_B
07-12-2017, 10:42 PM
mid july update:
HOLY PLANT GROWTH!!! Ive had to thin out water lettuce probably 4 times now. It now floats in my discus show tank, my 46 gallon bowfront, and in random buckets outside that I use to catch rain and mosquito larvae. Ive also found some (what I think to be) salvinia growing in two tubs. It must have hitchhiked in with the water lettuce or hyacinth that I bought originally. It looks really pretty I hope it takes off. The goldfish are well trained to come to the surface and eat, my niece likes to splash in the water and ties to pick up a goldfish often, she is three and is kind of clumsy but has managed to touch a goldfish a couple times. one thing I really like is the way a water hyacinth leaf looks close up. it almost looks paint brush strokes.

Looks really nice. Is the water lily putting up any buds yet?

Filip
07-13-2017, 08:48 AM
I jump in late on this thread Jacklyn but I just wanted to say that your little pond is very interesting addition to your Patio .

I only wish and wonder if you could somehow manage to seal a glass on one side of the pond to have the pleasure of watching the fish swimming through the glass .
Have you ever asked if its doable or not ?

I wonder about your temperature too.Does it goes above 100 F on a summer days when the sun hits it directly ?

Congrats on your idea Jacklyn .

jmf3460
07-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Looks really nice. Is the water lily putting up any buds yet?

no buds yet EJ. I am not sure if it gets enough sun to flower. we will see

I jump in late on this thread Jacklyn but I just wanted to say that your little pond is very interesting addition to your Patio .

I only wish and wonder if you could somehow manage to seal a glass on one side of the pond to have the pleasure of watching the fish swimming through the glass .
Have you ever asked if its doable or not ?

I wonder about your temperature too.Does it goes above 100 F on a summer days when the sun hits it directly ?

Congrats on your idea Jacklyn .

Filip, I don't think sealing a glass piece would work at all, this thing is made of recycled rubber so it is too flexible and bendy to do that I would think. I have thought of creating a vacuum dome on top though but just haven't done it. I put the pond on my side porch facing south for a reason. This side of my house only gets morning sun until about 1130, after that its in the full shade all day and all afternoon. This may be the reason I'm not seeing as many blooms on my flowers as I could, but it also means the water stays cooler. Its been well above 90 several days in a row now and the water is still cool to the touch.