PDA

View Full Version : Finally ! my own house :) Fish room in process.

sanjay21
06-09-2017, 03:18 PM
I'm finally moving to a house, from an apartment with 6 tanks lol. Can't wait to do so many fish projects. Will be setting up my first 150 or 180g tank in the living room.
I would like your thoughts on having a fish room setup in the garage. Thoughts ?
I haven't checked if the garage is insulated or not, I'm from Utah and temperatures here can get really got and winter being damn cold.
If the garage is not insulated what are my options on keeping the garage warmer during the winters ?

brewmaster15
06-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Congrats on the house!

I used to have a garage here in CT and kept a few tanks inthem as quarantine tanks...I insulated them well...but the heaters always ran in the winter 24/7. I would suggest putting up a dummy wall and making a separate room...you can always take it down. Thats what I did here..
Hth,
Al

sanjay21
06-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Congrats on the house!

I used to have a garage here in CT and kept a few tanks inthem as quarantine tanks...I insulated them well...but the heaters always ran in the winter 24/7. I would suggest putting up a dummy wall and making a separate room...you can always take it down. That's what I did here..
Hth,
Al

Awesome ! thanks Al ! that's also one of the thoughts to have a small portion of the garage to form a room insulate just that space. I'm so pumped up to get this started. I will be posting my bigger tank setup.

Any suggestions on using Industrial Rack systems ? to house 29g tanks.

White Worm
06-09-2017, 04:35 PM
You might want to contact Kenny and see what he does for the Magic Garage.

Ryan925
06-09-2017, 04:56 PM
You might want to contact Kenny and see what he does for the Magic Garage.

Kenny lives in daly city which is right on the edge of sf. Being so close to the bay the weather is very mild without large seasonal changes

sanjay21
06-09-2017, 05:02 PM
True, California has good weather, Utah weather can fluctuate pretty bad.

Ryan925
06-09-2017, 05:40 PM
True, California has good weather, Utah weather can fluctuate pretty bad.

There are plenty of areas of California where it gets to triple digits in the summer and freezing temps in winter but Mr Kenny is in an area where it is relatively cool all of the time and not really hot or cold I'm not far from him but I get 90s up low 100s in the summer.

I too was considering grow out tank in the garage

sanjay21
06-09-2017, 06:28 PM
There are plenty of areas of California where it gets to triple digits in the summer and freezing temps in winter but Mr Kenny is in an area where it is relatively cool all of the time and not really hot or cold I'm not far from him but I get 90s up low 100s in the summer.

I too was considering grow out tank in the garage

I wish I have the luxury of not worrying about weather. I just need to calm myself and plan properly for preparing a space in my garage. Will definitely insulate the space.
@Ryan: do you recommend buying Indsutrial racks or homemade wooden racks using 2x4s ?

Ryan925
06-09-2017, 08:43 PM
I wish I have the luxury of not worrying about weather. I just need to calm myself and plan properly for preparing a space in my garage. Will definitely insulate the space.
@Ryan: do you recommend buying Indsutrial racks or homemade wooden racks using 2x4s ?

That I couldn't tell you. I'm not a fish room guy. I believe there is a fish room section here somewhere. From what I usually see in photos is wood construction.

sanjay21
06-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks Ryan, will look it up.