PDA

View Full Version : PH for discus!!

GoldenSurfer2
06-23-2017, 06:13 AM
I am raising discus for last 7 months. My Water PH is 8.2. The discus are foong great and have grown from 2.5 inches to almost 6 inches.

I feel that high or low PH does not matter. What matter is the consistency of the PH.

What is your say?

Clawhammer
06-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Consistent clean water is the key! Not too many here will disagree :) Congrats on your results, care to share some pics?

discuspaul
06-23-2017, 10:54 AM
I am raising discus for last 7 months. My Water PH is 8.2. The discus are foong great and have grown from 2.5 inches to almost 6 inches.

I feel that high or low PH does not matter. What matter is the consistency of the PH.

What is your say?

Right on.

White Worm
06-23-2017, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't say it doesn't matter but it isn't crucial with domestics. However, lower ph can curb illness and discus would most likely prefer acidic ph below 7.

GoldenSurfer2
06-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Sorry for changing the topic.. but just now i witnessed something about my yellow checkerboard..

I just tossed a single piece of hikari tropical food stick. Its quite big in size. The yellow discus saw some curiosity and then swallow the whole food stick. After that i tossed some 5-6 sticks, and five of my discuses just devoured on them. I really did not anticipate that they would like to eat those big sticks so much.

Will it be healthy to continue feeding these floating hikari tropical food sticks ?

gators111
06-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Stable pH is more important. Lower pH however helps with nitrates, since ammonia stays at ammonium below a pH of around 6.5. Ammonium is less toxic to the fish. At higher pH, nitrates are geometrically more toxic to the fish. Also lower pH helps with hatch rates if you're getting a lot of eggs with fungus. Since the lower pH helps with that and bacteria.

Ewhonest
06-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Sorry for changing the topic.. but just now i witnessed something about my yellow checkerboard..

I just tossed a single piece of hikari tropical food stick. Its quite big in size. The yellow discus saw some curiosity and then swallow the whole food stick. After that i tossed some 5-6 sticks, and five of my discuses just devoured on them. I really did not anticipate that they would like to eat those big sticks so much.

Will it be healthy to continue feeding these floating hikari tropical food sticks ?

I agree on the ph but on the food a variety is best from what I have researched so those in adddition to whatever else you were feeding. I would soak the sticks until they were soft before feeding it to them though to prevent any bloating and constipation.

Ryan925
06-24-2017, 08:31 PM
I agree on the ph but on the food a variety is best from what I have researched so those in adddition to whatever else you were feeding. I would soak the sticks until they were soft before feeding it to them though to prevent any bloating and constipation.

+1

The fish can and will eat a lot which is why it's important to not overfeed. Varied diet of high quality foods is also important