PDA

View Full Version : Filling tank from storage container to tank

ScottW
06-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Sorry for all these questions but I am trying tp figure out ways to do large water changes faster. I have a 55 gallon brute can, 300 watt aqueon heater, rv drinking hose, and a python water changer. The tank is down in my basement and the container will be out side for the time being so I need to pump water from the container to my tank. Will this work?
http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Or are there other options?

Ryan925
06-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Sorry for all these questions but I am trying tp figure out ways to do large water changes faster. I have a 55 gallon brute can, 300 watt aqueon heater, rv drinking hose, and a python water changer. The tank is down in my basement and the container will be out side for the time being so I need to pump water from the container to my tank. Will this work?
http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Or are there other options?

When you are sizing your pump the important thing to look at is the performance curve. You will need to know how many gallons that pump can pump at a given feet of head.

Ewhonest
06-25-2017, 03:48 PM
I use one of the cheap pond pumps of eBay mine goes about 30 feet and doesn't push to hard. I also use pool filter hose attatched to it. Works well and the pump was only 12$ I think it does like 809 gph but with the distance and big hose it works well.

Side note make sure if you order one it has a plug on it, mine did not and I had to purchase one.

ScottW
06-25-2017, 04:18 PM
I use one of the cheap pond pumps of eBay mine goes about 30 feet and doesn't push to hard. I also use pool filter hose attatched to it. Works well and the pump was only 12$ I think it does like 809 gph but with the distance and big hose it works well.

Side note make sure if you order one it has a plug on it, mine did not and I had to purchase one.

You got the link?

Neptune
06-25-2017, 04:39 PM
I have to pump up from my basement as well.
I use on of these:
https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-RUP160-Submersible-Multi-Purpose-Water/dp/B0009X8O2E

I plug it into one of these
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Required-Control-Anywhere-HS100/dp/B0178IC734/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1498423095&sr=1-1&keywords=wifi+outlet

Then I can stand by the tank, use my phone to turn the pump on and off and good to go. Works like a charm!

Cosmo
06-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Only problem with the python and the Jehmco setup for your situation IMO is the limitation of the 1/2 tubing that both use to move water. Essentially, you can use gravity to move the water if you do a suction to get it started, get a bigger diameter hose and your wc is faster. I use diaphram pumps but I pump my water UP two floors so that doesn't apply to what you are doing. If you get a cheap pump make sure they do not use oil internally because eventually the seal WILL fail and kill all your fish. If I were you I'd give John at Jehmco a call and ask him what he can do for you - the man's been doing this a long time and is a wealth of knowledge

ScottW
06-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Only problem with the python and the Jehmco setup for your situation IMO is the limitation of the 1/2 tubing that both use to move water. Essentially, you can use gravity to move the water if you do a suction to get it started, get a bigger diameter hose and your wc is faster. I use diaphram pumps but I pump my water UP two floors so that doesn't apply to what you are doing. If you get a cheap pump make sure they do not use oil internally because eventually the seal WILL fail and kill all your fish. If I were you I'd give John at Jehmco a call and ask him what he can do for you - the man's been doing this a long time and is a wealth of knowledge

Im clueless to this. What size tubing will fit the python thats bigger?

Cosmo
06-25-2017, 08:10 PM
I have 5/8th Eheim tubing on mine going into a 3/4 PVC drain, but it still has the bottleneck of the 1/2in opening on the syphon tube. Changing to 5/8th tubing would probably not give you significantly increase flow anyway if everything else remaining the same. If you go the Jehmco route though, John could make you one of his easy drain thingies using larger PVC, after which attaching larger tubing would give you a faster flow. You could still use the python for filling if that's what you normally do - never a good idea to use the same hose for filling that you use for draining anyway.

matt2426
06-25-2017, 08:18 PM
I agree with Neptune on that wayne water pump I just ordered one I'm just getting back in the hobby to but that wayne pump I tried it out yesterday and made my 40 percent water change on my 125 gallon very quick

ScottW
06-25-2017, 08:29 PM
How fast are we looking for draining 65 gallons out of a 75 with the python tubing? I only need 15 feet of tubing to get from the back porch where the barrel is to the tank in the basement.

Phillydubs
06-25-2017, 08:37 PM
I thight your Tap Tested good And you were doing straight tap homie

ScottW
06-25-2017, 08:55 PM
I thight your Tap Tested good And you were doing straight tap homie

Yeah it is fine but the water coming out my garden hose faucet is too cold so I am going to heat it until its 84 degrees and pump it into the tank.

Ewhonest
06-26-2017, 08:05 PM
You got the link?

Here is the one I use it's actually a lot more powerful then I thought but with the big hose and distance it's not over powering but it works well. But they have gone up on the shipping since I purchased mine.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1hp-4000GPH-900w-115v-Pond-Pump-Sump-Pump-Utility-Drainage-Pump-Clean-Water-/222559023045?hash=item33d18d2fc5%3Ag%3AMy0AAOSwo4p Ya-3X&_trkparms=pageci%253Ada3a3c84-5acb-11e7-a8aa-74dbd1802e71%257Cparentrq%253Ae6dae5e215c0a9cb82b4 8112fffb5c14%257Ciid%253A9

There are these as well less then half as much flow might be better suited. There are also 2000 gph ones for around 30$. Just search gph clean pond pump and they all will pop up on ebay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/12V-1620GPH-6000L-H-Submersible-Water-Pump-Clean-Clear-Dirty-Pool-Pond-Flood-/322355430993?hash=item4b0de18651%3Ag%3AxcQAAOSwImR YS9ED&_trkparms=pageci%253Ada3a3c84-5acb-11e7-a8aa-74dbd1802e71%257Cparentrq%253Ae6dae5e215c0a9cb82b4 8112fffb5c14%257Ciid%253A3

ssevasta
06-27-2017, 02:46 PM
John at Jemco sold me a pump with an internal magnetic setup for this very reason. I use a standard oil based sump to pump the waste water from my basement upstairs and out the window but I use the magnetic pump to go from my aging barrel to refill my tanks across the basement.

Ryan925
06-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Yeah it is fine but the water coming out my garden hose faucet is too cold so I am going to heat it until its 84 degrees and pump it into the tank.

I do straight tap water changes. I just use an adaptor to my kitchen faucet. I use a digital thermometer to match temp then close my valve and fill away.

Seems like a lot to store water just to heat it if you don't have to age.

ScottW
06-27-2017, 06:11 PM
I do straight tap water changes. I just use an adaptor to my kitchen faucet. I use a digital thermometer to match temp then close my valve and fill away.

Seems like a lot to store water just to heat it if you don't have to age.

Because I use the garden hose faucet. Its the most convenient