PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Keith Perkins
07-07-2017, 02:34 PM
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who notices some of the absolutely stupid things people in the news media say?

Just read this on MSN:

"OAKLAND, Calif. -- Firefighters contained a massive four-alarm fire that erupted early Friday morning at a large apartment complex under construction near Oakland's Lake Merritt, CBS San Francisco reports.

The fire broke out just before 5 a.m. and grew as the blaze, which was fueled by building construction materials, spread quickly.

Small explosions were heard as the flames moved through the structure. A large crane dangled over the blaze, threatening to possibly collapse. It was whirling out of control through the flames, elevating the concerns of firefighters.

Firefighters attacked the blaze using a "surround and drown" tactic. They took a defensive approach and poured hundreds of gallons of water on the fire...the project was under construction as a mixed used building and was nearing completion in early 2018. It stretches across three blocks and designed to host 225 apartments and 2,300 square feet of retail space. The building also included an underground parking garage."

So let me get this straight, the fire was roaring through a complex that covered three blocks and they only used "hundreds of gallons of water" on it?

brewmaster15
07-07-2017, 02:54 PM
LMAO... Hundreds of Gallons of water!:huh:

al

brewmaster15
07-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Keith...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/01/fire-hydrant-colors-actually-mean-something/

In an effort to make it easier for firefighters to know what a specific hydrant will supply, the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) recommends that fire departments and water districts follow a set standard of color-coding. Known as NFPA 291, it says fire hydrants using public water supply systems should be painted chrome yellow, and their tops and caps should indicate the available GPM. Below 500GPM should be red, 500-999 GPM should be orange, 1000-1499 GPM should be green, and 1500 GPM or more should be blue .

Must have been using one of those eco friendly light light Red Ones...:evilgrin:

al

rickztahone
07-07-2017, 04:07 PM
lol, that is funny. Maybe they only opened the fire hydrant for half a minute according to Al's GPM breakdown ;)

Larry Bugg
07-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Lol. I have more than that in my fish room.

Ryan925
07-07-2017, 10:57 PM
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who notices some of the absolutely stupid things people in the news media say?

Just read this on MSN:

"OAKLAND, Calif. -- Firefighters contained a massive four-alarm fire that erupted early Friday morning at a large apartment complex under construction near Oakland's Lake Merritt, CBS San Francisco reports.

The fire broke out just before 5 a.m. and grew as the blaze, which was fueled by building construction materials, spread quickly.

Small explosions were heard as the flames moved through the structure. A large crane dangled over the blaze, threatening to possibly collapse. It was whirling out of control through the flames, elevating the concerns of firefighters.

Firefighters attacked the blaze using a "surround and drown" tactic. They took a defensive approach and poured hundreds of gallons of water on the fire...the project was under construction as a mixed used building and was nearing completion in early 2018. It stretches across three blocks and designed to host 225 apartments and 2,300 square feet of retail space. The building also included an underground parking garage."

So let me get this straight, the fire was roaring through a complex that covered three blocks and they only used "hundreds of gallons of water" on it?

Lol. News anchors don't always seem the brightest.

Fire in Oakland is a pretty sensitive subject after the recent ghost ship disaster and all the deaths that came from that.

Second Hand Pat
07-08-2017, 07:18 AM
They also need to use editors before publishing their story. Pretty poorly written.
Pat

Willie
07-08-2017, 03:44 PM
I like when media reports that forest fires as being 5% under control. Wouldn't "out of control" forest fire be a more accurate description?

Willie