PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my 125 gallon tank.

sanjay21
07-09-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm finally moving from an apartment to a house. What is the first you do ? Setup a Discus tank :bounce2::bounce:

Here is what I'm working on - 125 gallon tank, 1/4th of the tank I filled with sand where I housed some driftwood and rest of the tank will be bare bottom tank.

Filtration - Fluval FX6, Sunsun 304b and weekly twice 70% water change110975110976110977110978

Heaters - 2 x 300 watts heaters

Will be housing 12-13 Adult Discus, some schooling fish, corries and a couple plecos.

Any suggestions regarding the tank ?

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Fish are in and all happy :)

White Worm
07-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Very nice. You should have painted the bottom of the tank blue and it would look like an island in the ocean. I'd be a little careful with that sharp driftwood.

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Very nice. You should have painted the bottom of the tank blue and it would look like an island in the ocean. I'd be a little careful with that sharp driftwood.
Thanks Mike, I never seen blue based bottom, do you have any pictures ? I like the idea.
I did try to soft the pointy piece of wood by brushing it. Its not that sharp as it looks in the picture :)

White Worm
07-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Too late now, but when it was empty, you would just turn it over, mask it off and paint the outside bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4ytT_4hq4. In this video, you can see that I painted the bottom a sand multi-color.

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Too late now, but when it was empty, you would just turn it over, mask it off and paint the outside bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4ytT_4hq4. In this video, you can see that I painted the bottom a sand multi-color.

Wow ! can't even that its paint. True, now that its running its a big pain. Will definitely do it one day just to see how it looks.

jmf3460
07-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Beautiful job OP, a round of applause to you!! The tank combines the functionality and ease of bare bottom but still has the aesthetic properties of a planted and scaped tank. Well done. My suggestion is to get a black background on there stat. That way we don't have to look at cables and equipment behind the tank. Other than that its a beautiful tank. Well done

White Worm
07-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Maybe not black but Medium Blue?

jmf3460
07-11-2017, 02:18 PM
black or blue will look great Mike.

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Beautiful job OP, a round of applause to you!! The tank combines the functionality and ease of bare bottom but still has the aesthetic properties of a planted and scaped tank. Well done. My suggestion is to get a black background on there stat. That way we don't have to look at cables and equipment behind the tank. Other than that its a beautiful tank. Well done

Thanks Jacklyn! I did enjoy scaping this tank, I am looking to cover the background just didn't find a good source to buy from I want to buy, I'm thinking of going with a white Vinyl or this one -

Thoughts ?
Mike what do you think ? ^

jmf3460
07-11-2017, 04:22 PM
the blue over white Sanjay. But black over both is my vote.

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 04:26 PM
I had black background before and it did a great job hiding cables both front(mostly) and back plus the sponge filters are barely visible. But personally I felt black background won't match my current setup.

White Worm
07-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Plus, the discus may become darker with a black background.

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Here is my old tank - 111022

rickztahone
07-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks Jacklyn! I did enjoy scaping this tank, I am looking to cover the background just didn't find a good source to buy from I want to buy, I'm thinking of going with a white Vinyl or this one -

Thoughts ?
Mike what do you think ? ^

Have you seen a frosted background tank yet?

sanjay21
07-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Have you seen a frosted background tank yet?

Yes, frosted is what I wanted ! where can I find it ? I checked at my LFS and petsmart/petco no luck.

two utes
07-11-2017, 06:41 PM
As far as i know there are two ways you can apply frosting to glass.. Paint on with spray can, or contact adhesive sheets. Both can be purchased from large hardware shops.

White Worm
07-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Its just regular home window film or you could even use 50% window tint if you wanted darker.

Ryan925
07-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Yes, frosted is what I wanted ! where can I find it ? I checked at my LFS and petsmart/petco no luck.

Go to home depot they sell a kit. It comes with the frosted film, applicator solution, squeegee and knife.

Filip
07-12-2017, 03:46 AM
Great looking scape and discus Sanjay. Your previous planted scape was interesting too .
I like your unique idea of having part BB and part sand bottom tank. I would point the flow of your canister to blow towards the sandy island and to push the dirt out of it towards the open "sea" for easier siphoning.
I like the ocean view background that you have posted here . Do you have a link from that ?
Having the bottom painted would be a great next step for this tank .
Good luck with your new discus batch and please keep us posted with new pics regularly :)

sanjay21
07-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Great looking scape and discus Sanjay. Your previous planted scape was interesting too .
I like your unique idea of having part BB and part sand bottom tank. I would point the flow of your canister to blow towards the sandy island and to push the dirt out of it towards the open "sea" for easier siphoning.
I like the ocean view background that you have posted here . Do you have a link from that ?
Having the bottom painted would be a great next step for this tank .
Good luck with your new discus batch and please keep us posted with new pics regularly :)

Thank you so much Filip :) I'm happy to see the positive feedback for the all the work I put in on the tank. Here is a link for the picture I posted - http://www.aquariumvinyl.com/freshwater/ I did point the outlet towards the island side. I will post more pictures on think tank and some updates. I'm eagerly waiting on Kenny's order I placed for this month. "They are special fish" :D

sanjay21
07-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Go to home depot they sell a kit. It comes with the frosted film, applicator solution, squeegee and knife.

Thanks Ryan !! that sounds easy. I may go with frosted look, will keep you posted.

sanjay21
07-12-2017, 04:17 PM
As far as i know there are two ways you can apply frosting to glass.. Paint on with spray can, or contact adhesive sheets. Both can be purchased from large hardware shops.

I did paint one of my 29gallon tank with white and I love it. I'm just scared to paint on this 125g, in case I change my mind :)

two utes
07-12-2017, 07:07 PM
I did paint one of my 29gallon tank with white and I love it. I'm just scared to paint on this 125g, in case I change my mind :)

I don't like the idea of painting glass either, and the reason i use a 3mm thick sheet of MDF which l paint and place on the rear outside of the tank. this also helps me when l'm cleaning the rear glass panel as l remove it and can easily see places l've missed

sanjay21
07-13-2017, 12:19 PM
I like that idea ! I will be working on the tank after a week maybe. I got busy moving all the things from my old apartment to the house. Thanks Joe !

jmf3460
07-13-2017, 01:49 PM
those aquarium vinyl things, ive never seen those, how awesome. does anyone know whether they go on the inside or outside of the tank?

sanjay21
07-17-2017, 11:58 AM

1 week in the new tank, after a water change :)

Ryan925
07-17-2017, 03:13 PM

1 week in the new tank, after a water change :)

Really nice looking tank and group of fish. Nice job man

sanjay21
07-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Really nice looking tank and group of fish. Nice job man

Thanks Ryan :) I hope to maintain this stock for a long time.

White Worm
07-17-2017, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna re-seal a tank soon and when I do, I am going to paint the bottom a light multi-colored textured sand and the back will be painted frost. I'll let you know how it turns out.

sanjay21
07-17-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm gonna re-seal a tank soon and when I do, I am going to paint the bottom a light multi-colored textured sand and the back will be painted frost. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I like the plan ! would love to see the outcome :thumbsup:

Phillydubs
07-18-2017, 10:22 AM
What else is in there, some koi angles? Are those rummy nose?

sanjay21
07-18-2017, 11:42 AM
What else is in there, some koi angles? Are those rummy nose?

Yes, have 3 Koi angels, 6 rummy nose tetras and 5 Threadfin tetras (I know weird combo lol )

White Worm
07-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Well, I did 2 different approaches. I painted the bottom with a sand multi-color paint and used frost spray paint for the back.

On this one, I painted the bottom with pebble stone texture paint and used a ceiling light panel (crackled glass) for the back. I think this one turned out nicer.

ssevasta
07-29-2017, 07:43 PM
I love the tank Sanjay and the assortment of color choices that you picked are a breathtaking collection. I'd be careful with sharp points on the driftwood though because I've had fish injure themselves in the past on a big piece I used to have as the centerpiece in my 55 gallon. I ended up having to cut a few branch tips off and sand down others. I hope you have the time to take a video and upload it to YouTube when your finished working on the tank. Cheers

sanjay21
07-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Well, I did 2 different approaches. I painted the bottom with a sand multi-color paint and used frost spray paint for the back.

On this one, I painted the bottom with pebble stone texture paint and used a ceiling light panel (crackled glass) for the back. I think this one turned out nicer.

I like this one ! did you buy ceiling light panel ? or you happen to have one handy ? I still have't done anything to the background.

sanjay21
07-30-2017, 09:37 AM
I love the tank Sanjay and the assortment of color choices that you picked are a breathtaking collection. I'd be careful with sharp points on the driftwood though because I've had fish injure themselves in the past on a big piece I used to have as the centerpiece in my 55 gallon. I ended up having to cut a few branch tips off and sand down others. I hope you have the time to take a video and upload it to YouTube when your finished working on the tank. Cheers

Thanks Sean :) I love the colors as well :) I do want to add 1 wild or a wild cross soon. Will go down on the reds also and add burgundy reds that I got from Kenny in July's shipment. Will make a video soon, here a pic at dinner time (Al's FDBW) -

White Worm
07-31-2017, 12:37 AM
I bought the light panel at Home Depot for about $10 and cut it to my size. I tacked it to the glass with hot glue. I've decided to paint the backside of the panel an earth tone color so it is not at all see-through.

ssevasta
07-31-2017, 03:54 AM
I think adding another solid blue and a solid green or two would look amazing. Maybe a blue diamond or blue scorpion and a flachen or neon sapphire.

White Worm
08-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Final decision and this turned out nice. Bottom painted textured stone pebble and the back crackle glass light panel backed with a camouflage color so it isn't see-through. Now you have some ideas and what they look like.

sanjay21
08-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Final decision and this turned out nice. Bottom painted textured stone pebble and the back crackle glass light panel backed with a camouflage color so it isn't see-through. Now you have some ideas and what they look like.

Wow ! that looks unique. I like how its not bright. It will be a while for me to get things upgraded to my 125. I did add Crimson Star Alenquers to this tank now :)
I'm yet to update on the background.

White Worm
08-07-2017, 03:29 PM
It is a little lighter in person than the pic shows but I think it is a nice look. Those Crimson Stars looked real nice! The good thing about this background is that I easily tacked it on with some hot glue along the vertical edges and a couple spots along the bottom and top and it sits in the gap between the top and bottom black tank trim up against the glass. You could do that by just having some clearance between the wall and tank.

sanjay21
08-07-2017, 04:20 PM
It is a little lighter in person than the pic shows but I think it is a nice look. Those Crimson Stars looked real nice! The good thing about this background is that I easily tacked it on with some hot glue along the vertical edges and a couple spots along the bottom and top and it sits in the gap between the top and bottom black tank trim up against the glass. You could do that by just having some clearance between the wall and tank.

Would you recommend the same color to my tank also ? I was thinking paint the panel white - not sure how that will turn out though.

White Worm
08-07-2017, 04:25 PM
I was thinking a sky blue maybe since you have plants. Your discus would really pop against white but that seems boring to me. Its all about what you prefer as far as color though. They actually sell the panel in white or clear so you wouldn't have to paint anything if you wanted white.

sanjay21
08-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Cool ! thank you. I will have to give it sometime.

Darb
08-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Great looking tank amd Discus! I am wanting to upgrade to a 125 from my 75 and also go with the 12-13 discus currently i have 8 and am iching to get more haha.

sanjay21
10-31-2017, 03:45 PM
Great looking tank amd Discus! I am wanting to upgrade to a 125 from my 75 and also go with the 12-13 discus currently i have 8 and am iching to get more haha.

That's great! Have you upgraded your tank ? I did the same upgraded from 75 to 125g and I'm sure you will love it :)

LynnInColorado
01-25-2018, 11:01 PM
I love the combo BB and corner “islands” to hide heater and filter tubes. Contact adhesive sheet is a great idea! Today I ordered “Magic Cover” contact paper on Amazon. Color is White Granite and it looks kind of like sand. Will try it between my stand and aquarium bottom without using the adhesive.

HappyFace
01-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Very nice. You should have painted the bottom of the tank blue and it would look like an island in the ocean. I'd be a little careful with that sharp driftwood. Too late now, but when it was empty, you would just turn it over, mask it off and paint the outside bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4ytT_4hq4. In this video, you can see that I painted the bottom a sand multi-color.

Neat idea Mike! What paint did you use in the video to make it look like sand?

Fish are in and all happy :)

Beautiful!

sanjay21
01-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Thanks Heidi !

kalawai
01-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Hey Sanjay... I’m loving the different ideas. I’m still in planning stages and have a set back in needing to reseal the big tank. I’m going to West Valley City tomorrow to acquire a 65 gallon as a secondary tank it was on KSL Classifieds. Hopefully,it’s not needing a reseal..lol
Btw....are there any local Discus breeders here in Utah?

sanjay21
01-28-2018, 12:32 AM
Hey Sanjay... I’m loving the different ideas. I’m still in planning stages and have a set back in needing to reseal the big tank. I’m going to West Valley City tomorrow to acquire a 65 gallon as a secondary tank it was on KSL Classifieds. Hopefully,it’s not needing a reseal..lol
Btw....are there any local Discus breeders here in Utah?

Hi Shari, yes I have a friend Mike from Layton. Has good quality Discus and also I started a breeding a few Discus myself (currently don't have anything for sale) but can check with my friend. Any specific strain you are looking for ? 65 gallon should be a good start :)

kalawai
01-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Hi Shari, yes I have a friend Mike from Layton. Has good quality Discus and also I started a breeding a few Discus myself (currently don't have anything for sale) but can check with my friend. Any specific strain you are looking for ? 65 gallon should be a good start :)

I’m thinking Red Turqs or something like a Heckel cross.... speaking of Wilds I did see someone offering young wilds on KSL.

kalawai
01-28-2018, 01:31 PM
I keep changing my mind on what stain but I do keep going back to solid blue Discus and some sort of spotted or striped stain to compliment the solid blues.

sanjay21
01-28-2018, 08:29 PM
I’m thinking Red Turqs or something like a Heckel cross.... speaking of Wilds I did see someone offering young wilds on KSL.

Yep, I've seen the post on KSL. They didn't look healthy and bad shaped. I will check with my friend on Red Turqupise and if you are interested getting wild Discus let me know if you want to split shipping costs and we can buy some Wild Heckels from Gabe (Jack Wattley's Discus in Florida).

kalawai
01-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Yep, I've seen the post on KSL. They didn't look healthy and bad shaped. I will check with my friend on Red Turqupise and if you are interested getting wild Discus let me know if you want to split shipping costs and we can buy some Wild Heckels from Gabe (Jack Wattley's Discus in Florida).

Gabe has some fabulous Heckels ..... I’m not really ready yet to take the plunge. I need to set up and fully cycle my tanks. I thought those young fish on KSL looked unhealthy and not shaped very well. If I were to acquire Discus I want adults.

sanjay21
01-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Gabe has some fabulous Heckels ..... I’m not really ready yet to take the plunge. I need to set up and fully cycle my tanks. I thought those young fish on KSL looked unhealthy and not shaped very well. If I were to acquire Discus I want adults.

Cool! I will let you know if any of my friends are letting go Adult Discus.

sanjay21
06-15-2018, 04:02 PM
It’s almost a year since I set this up :) here is an update on how it looks now -

Hiball1
06-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Very nice! Fish look great

danotaylor
06-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Great thread. Beautiful tank and fish. Did you say where you purchased them from? Nice thick fish...

sanjay21
06-17-2018, 12:04 AM
Very nice! Fish look great
Thanks Sean !

Great thread. Beautiful tank and fish. Did you say where you purchased them from? Nice thick fish...
Thanks Daniel! Fishes here are from multiple sources Kenny, Hans, Al Castro,Jack Wattley, Bryan Nario and a friend in CA..

lol I sure mixes a lot of sources, but I did it with proper quarantine, so had no issues.

sanjay21
09-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Update on how the tank looks now-
Front of the tank is still bare bottom, added some substrate to the back of the tank.

I am planning on re-doing the entire setup. Would love the paint the bottom with sand paint as once suggested
in this thread. But how do I paint the portion which has bracing under the tank ?

danotaylor
09-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Beautiful display Sanjay. What strains are you housing in there?

Filip
09-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Great progress Sanjay . They have come a long way since your first post one year ago.

sanjay21
09-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Beautiful display Sanjay. What strains are you housing in there?

Thanks Daniel, I have a bunch of different strains. I do keep them moving occasionally so you might not be seeing some of the strains that you've seen in the past :) or maybe seeing new ones.

Great progress Sanjay . They have come a long way since your first post one year ago.

It sure did :) I do want to get everything out of the tank and make it simple with just wood and painted bottom. Its a lot of work to do that, so hopefully get it done soon.

two utes
09-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Very impressive Sanjay. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

sanjay21
09-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Very impressive Sanjay. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thanks Joe :)

sanjay21
11-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Update :) plants in the background are filling in well.

danotaylor
11-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Very serene mate, looks super relaxing! Nice work!
Are you fertilizing?

sanjay21
11-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Very serene mate, looks super relaxing! Nice work!
Are you fertilizing?

Thanks Daniel :) It is very relaxing to watch this tank.

No, I'm not using any fertilizers. When I first started the tank setup with only left side planted I added root tabs. But to the plants in the background I added nothing to them.

gotwins86
11-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Discus and tank look awesome!

sanjay21
11-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Discus and tank look awesome!

Thanks Zac :)