PDA

View Full Version : Any help would be appreciated

GivensOU
07-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Discus 1, He was in the corner with his head facing up. I did a massive water change, and he died the next day. I didn't put a lot of thought into him dying kind of figured it was a freak accident.

Discus 2, He quit eating and just hung out in the corner, shortly after a water change he died. (Picture below)

I have a few discus that arent eating and one of the discus is now in the corner with his head up, like discus 1

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

They aren't eating, and they are in the corner with their heads up (Picture below)

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Haven't treated. Been doing large water changes

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
150 Gallon, 14 discus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
80/90% water changes 3-4 times a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
2.5 Years, and it has a sand bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __81___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __.25__

These reading might be a off, because I have been doing a lot of water changes.

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___x_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
New Discus from Uncle Sams about 7 months ago

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
Frozen Blood worms, Beef Heart and FD tubifex

11. Include any pictures or videos

I'm attaching photos, I can take any photos or video you would like. I froze the dead discus, so I can also take more photos of him if needed.

GivensOU
07-12-2017, 09:10 AM

This is my eruption. He is acting fine but I saw these marks on him. Hopefully this is helpful

jmf3460
07-12-2017, 09:51 AM
do you have plecos in the tank? This sounds chemical, all these fish dying suddenly after water changes. has your city/county done a chlorine flush lately of their pipes? have you checked for trace elements of chloramines?

GivensOU
07-12-2017, 10:30 AM
I do have a pleco in the tank. I will pull him tonight.

I haven't checked for trace elements of chloramines. However the dechorionator I use says it will remove chloramines.

Thanks for your help!

jmf3460
07-12-2017, 10:51 AM
are you checking for PH swings when changing water. If there is a really large ph swing (from higher to lower) this can cause ph burn and if its severe enough a fish might not make it. the only reason I mention pleco is because the marks look circular like a pleco may be chewing on them. However this would not be the reason they are rapidly dying after water changes. But those do look like pleco marks.

pitdogg2
07-12-2017, 10:59 AM
The only reason I mention pleco is because the marks look circular like a pleco may be chewing on them. However this would not be the reason they are rapidly dying after water changes. But those do look like pleco marks.

Completely agree

GivensOU
07-13-2017, 05:15 PM
I pulled the pleco, I'm switching back to Prime.

I'm worried that it isn't the water changes that are killing them. They stop eating and then after a water change they die. I have two discus that has to stop eating and are now face up in the corner. I'm afraid they're going to die soon too. I'll probably move all the uneating discus to a QT tank tonight. Hoping that it doesn't spread to the other discus.

Could it possibly be hole in the head?

Thanks again,
Tim

jmf3460
07-13-2017, 06:07 PM
do they have pits in their heads?

I see nothing on your pictures so far to point toward disease. this still seems chemical to me. have you done anything lately? overcleaned a filter, added a piece of wood or décor, put something in the tank with sealant, added a new rock, even changed an appliance??

OMG what if it is the food??? has your food rotted??

GivensOU
07-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Nothing has changed in the tank. Can freeze dried food rot? All my other food is frozen, and I thaw it out when I feed the discus.

I have held off doing a water change fearing it's something with my water. I checked my city water page and they post alert about water and they havent posted anything as of today.

I appreciate your help Jacklyn!

GivensOU
07-13-2017, 07:59 PM
I received my tubflex worms about a year ago, so I guess the food could be rotten

jmf3460
07-13-2017, 08:10 PM
im going to find you some more help, someone smarter than me.

brewmaster15
07-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Tim,
Tubifex is not a great food in general due to where it's collected. It's often contaminated with pathogens and heavy metals.

If you have been feeding it a longtime it's possible the heavy metals have built up to toxic levels. I don't know if that's what happened here but thought I'd mention it.

Other causes could be the food is bad. The way they have stopped eating may indicate that or that they have a parasite like cryptobia..

Is there any issues with their feces? ANY belly bloating?

I would suggest not feeding them the Tubifex anymore. I would really suggest you get a fish to a pathogist to have it examined. If that's not an option there's a chance kanamycin would help if it's bacterial from bad food... metronidazole would be able to be used with it as well to deal with protozoans....but these are really guesses.

Al

GivensOU
07-14-2017, 07:48 AM
I haven't noticed anything with their feces, granted the ones that aren't eating are also not pooping. I also haven't noticed any belly bloating.

I have some metro, I can add to the tank. Is better to add to their food or the water?

I see Seachem sells Kanaplex, I assume thats the same as Kanamycin?

I will stop feeding them tubflex worms.

Thanks again!

brewmaster15
07-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Since they aren't eating adding to the water would be better. I would suggest getting the metro from a place like Jehmco.com You will save bundled and John there ships fast. He also sells the kanamycin and if he he doesn't have it try AngelsPlus.com The seachem version is expensive for what you get and I don't think its pure.

al

bluelagoon
07-14-2017, 10:19 AM
The seachem version is expensive for what you get and I don't think its pure.

al

It is 70% metro

Kyla
07-14-2017, 10:36 AM
A parasitologist at my local university examined a discus for me... if u call around in ur area u may find someone willing to take a look at that frozen discus for you...

bluelagoon
07-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Have you been getting any micro bubbles lately after a large WC.I see you have been doing up to 90% WC's every other day approx. for 2.5 years with no issues.Standing heads up;I have never seen them heads up and ill;always tails up.I wonder about the O2 level in your large WC.Just throwing that in here.Seems to be a mystery illness.

GivensOU
07-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Him and the other ones just sit in the corner like this.

So my plan is to move the three discus that aren't eating over to the QT tank tonight. Start treating with metro asap.

Also I was thinking about mixing a little metro in the food of the discus that are eating.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions

brewmaster15
07-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Tim,
If you plan on treating... I would do them all at once given the strange ailment you have going on.

al

GivensOU
07-14-2017, 06:55 PM

I know some of you have asked about their feces. I saw some weird feces this evening from my Blue Diamond

bluelagoon
07-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Just throwing this at you.Looks like the discus in the pic may have hit the tank top or wall.I have had two discus die last year that appeared that way.But I actually saw them spook and crash into each other.But just pulling at strings here.

jmf3460
07-15-2017, 12:15 PM
the poop looks like hex. do you have metro to treat??

Ryan925
07-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Him and the other ones just sit in the corner like this.

So my plan is to move the three discus that aren't eating over to the QT tank tonight. Start treating with metro asap.

Also I was thinking about mixing a little metro in the food of the discus that are eating.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions

Is this pic sideways? To me this looks like a sideways pic and the fish is near the surface, pointed up, rather than at the bottom facing upwards. Are they in the corner heads pointed towards the surface? Do you have an airstone in the tank? How's your surface movement ?

GivensOU
07-15-2017, 03:47 PM
the poop looks like hex. do you have metro to treat??

I started treating with metro yesterday. I'm seeing a lot of stringy poop now. So I think I'm heading in the right direction.

GivensOU
07-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Is this pic sideways? To me this looks like a sideways pic and the fish is near the surface, pointed up, rather than at the bottom facing upwards. Are they in the corner heads pointed towards the surface? Do you have an airstone in the tank? How's your surface movement ?

The pic is sideways. I have an airstone and run FX6. So I think I have enough surface movement.