PDA

View Full Version : All my water readings are zero

matt2426
07-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Sorry for all the question just trying to make sure everything right and thanks for all the responses ive been getting from everyone well anyway I had a post about cloudy water after a water change yesterday today I did a water test and all my readings are 0 zero ammonia nitrite and nitrate. about a month ago I got a cycled sponge from an existing tank and I put that in my filter and added about two dozen cardinal tetras and then a few weeks later added anonther 18 or so and a green phantom pleco plus I added api quickstart to the tank twice. (everytime I added fish). I'm starting to think my tank isn't cycled or crashed somehow I haven't had any fish die or act sick there all eating and seem normal but I'm concerned about not having any nitrate readings something seems off I have been probally over cleaing the tank that pleco leaves a lot of waste on the substrate and ive been cleaning that almost daily plus I have a 3d background that I get brown algae that ive been cleaning probally to much I'm just trying to figure this thing out Id appreciate any feedback and thanks again for your guys help and also my tank is a 125 gallons and been doing a water change once a week currently

fishbubbles
07-15-2017, 09:51 PM
What method are you using to test your water parameters? Are you using test strips or API test kit?

Ryan925
07-15-2017, 10:00 PM
I would highly suggest get a seachem nitrate kit. It's much easier to read and no room for error like the api. I use the api master kit for ammonia and ph but the seachem for nitrite and nitrate

matt2426
07-15-2017, 10:03 PM
What method are you using to test your water parameters? Are you using test strips or API test kit?

I use the api kit thanks

matt2426
07-15-2017, 10:04 PM
I would highly suggest get a seachem nitrate kit. It's much easier to read and no room for error like the api. I use the api master kit for ammonia and ph but the seachem for nitrite and nitrate

Ok thanks for the tip Ryan ill try that

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2017, 11:33 PM
You could also not conducting the API nitrate test correctly. Check the instructions carefully and make sure you stand on your head and dance a jig for the appropriate amount of time (j/k of course). :D
Pat

matt2426
07-16-2017, 12:03 AM
You could also not conducting the API nitrate test correctly. Check the instructions carefully and make sure you stand on your head and dance a jig for the appropriate amount of time (j/k of course). :D
Pat

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right I'm dancing lol but really I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right add 10 drops to bottle one shake bottle 2 for a while and add 10 more drops do you guys think the tank is cycled or maybe going through another cycle since ive been cleaning the tank and substrate to much due to the pleco having so much waste or maybe my bio load isn't that big due to the size of the aquarium I have 40 tetras and a pleco in a 125 gallon maybe that's why I get cloudy water after a water change I use aged water ive read maybe a bacteria bloom I don't know I'm trying to learn and figure this out before I get some expensive discus

brewmaster15
07-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Its highly unlikely that your nitrates are zero in that tank and with weekly water changes. I would call the kit mfg and get their input.. Maybe its bad.

You could try Acurel F.. for the cloudy water.
http://www.acurel.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=3&Itemid=59

This clarifier works incredibly well IME.
al

matt2426
07-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Its highly unlikely that your nitrates are zero in that tank and with weekly water changes. I would call the kit mfg and get their input.. Maybe its bad.

You could try Acurel F.. for the cloudy water.
http://www.acurel.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=3&Itemid=59

This clarifier works incredibly well IME.
al

Ok thanks Al I may try the seachem brand test kit see what kind of results I get and thanks for the tip with the water clearifier

Kyla
07-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Bang the nitrate test bottles hard on a flat surface a bunch of times to really get them mixed up (in case the ingredients have separated out on the bottom from sitting on a shelf). Shake/bang them for a good minute. Then try doing the test again.

matt2426
07-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Bang the nitrate test bottles hard on a flat surface a bunch of times to really get them mixed up (in case the ingredients have separated out on the bottom from sitting on a shelf). Shake/bang them for a good minute. Then try doing the test again.

I tried that already but thanks still no nitrate reading

Kyla
07-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Ah, def time for a new kit then...

matt2426
07-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Ah, def time for a new kit then...

I actually just retested it I guess it has an orange tint to it but at the most its 2.0 to 3.0 ppm but I still may be in need for a new kit thanks

bluelagoon
07-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Also,what are you using as a filter?Are you leaving that be and not cleaning it?With that load I'd leave it for 4-6 weeks.

matt2426
07-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Also,what are you using as a filter?Are you leaving that be and not cleaning it?With that load I'd leave it for 4-6 weeks.

I'm using a fx6 and an aquaclear 110 and no I haven't cleaned it yet I was adviced not to clean it for a month or two