PDA

View Full Version : Discushatchery vs Hans Discus?

BmoreBraap
11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong section-first post.
I am venturing into my first discus tank and it turns out I have 2 fantastic Discus breeders within 30 minutes of me: Discushatchery and Hans discus.
I have heard great things about both and that they both have been in the business for over 30 years.

Any first hand experience with either places? Thanks for any feedback

Clawhammer
11-16-2016, 01:58 PM
I did not have a good experience with Hans, although I expect if I were close enough to visit his facility and hand pick my discus I would have been much more satisfied. I wouldn't recommend ordering from him online.

John_Nicholson
11-16-2016, 02:16 PM
I would go with Hans. I have known him for 20+ years. He is a great guy.

-john

tonytheboss1
11-16-2016, 02:50 PM
:argue: Oh Boy!! Well I haven't known him long as John (5/6yrs) but it has been my absolute pleasure! Courtesy, honesty & professionalism have always been trademarks of his business. Quality of product is exceptional. Here's the kicker, AFTER sales help. Above & beyond! Have ordered online several times & have visited the shop. Great service, (even saw me on his off day once cause I was in town!) Don't get me wrong, there are other ways to go but Hans has never disappointed me. "T"

P.S. Example, my last purchase ....http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tonytheboss1/IMG_0361.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/tonytheboss1/media/IMG_0361.jpg.html)

Larry Bugg
11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Hans all the way!!!!!

Poppa Ryno
11-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Yep Hans over gwynbrook anyday. Gwynbrook farms aka discushatchery.com has been difficult to deal with. They also had poor customer service.

atlantadiscus
11-16-2016, 06:31 PM
I did not have a good experience with Hans, although I expect if I were close enough to visit his facility and hand pick my discus I would have been much more satisfied. I wouldn't recommend ordering from him online.

Care to share your experience in more detail? So far,both my orders have been great through him.

Clawhammer
11-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Care to share your experience in more detail? So far,both my orders have been great through him.

Out of respect for the forum and for Hans' friends on the forum, I have tried to move on and not discuss this unless there is a specific thread. In lieu of rehashing here is my livestock review:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125679-Questionable-Fish-from-Discus-Hans&highlight=

I would be happy to discuss in more detail by PM.

RogueDiscus
11-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks Eric. That's the way to do it.

yogi
11-16-2016, 11:37 PM
I have been to both places you are asking about. But it has been over 10 years since I was at discushatchery when it was still called Gwynbrook farms, and it has been over 7 years since I was at Hans place. I definitely like Hans place better. Since you live 30 minutes from each of them I would just go and visit them both. Then decide for yourself who you want to buy from.

adrian's fish
11-17-2016, 01:06 AM
Hans, would be my choice , all my fish are from him .

John_Nicholson
11-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Out of respect for the forum and for Hans' friends on the forum, I have tried to move on and not discuss this unless there is a specific thread. In lieu of rehashing here is my livestock review:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125679-Questionable-Fish-from-Discus-Hans&highlight=

Went and read your post. In my opinion you were wrong. Not trying to drag it back up but since you posted it here I felt it was ok to respond to it here.

-john

Clawhammer
11-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Went and read your post. In my opinion you were wrong. Not trying to drag it back up but since you posted it here I felt it was ok to respond to it here.

-john

I respect your opinion and your loyalty to your 20 year friend. A large number of senior members (including NADA members) messaged me in support and with similar stories. The picture of the fish is out there so people can judge for themselves. It has been a few months and the fish has grown but it has a prominent beak. I was respectful to Hans, he was very short with me. That's my experience.

two utes
11-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong section-first post.
I am venturing into my first discus tank and it turns out I have 2 fantastic Discus breeders within 30 minutes of me: Discushatchery and Hans discus.
I have heard great things about both and that they both have been in the business for over 30 years.

Any first hand experience with either places? Thanks for any feedback

Living in Australia, l have never had the opportunity to purchase discus from anyone overseas, but l would just like to say that you are very lucky to be living so close to not one, but two discus breeders. Rather than relying on peoples opinions, as some would have good and bad experiences, l would go visit both of them and check out their stock. I for one would also be looking at the people selling you the fish, as to me this is just as important.
As far as the incident with the particular discus breeder, it would have been good business to replace the fish in question, no matter who was right or wrong. That would be enough to sway me. Again this is just my opinion as l know everyone would have a different idea about this

The fact that they both have been in business for 30 years says a lot. Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the hobby

nemo24
11-17-2016, 06:24 PM
I'd go to both. Nothing to lose by checking out both breeders.

atlantadiscus
11-17-2016, 06:51 PM
look at both,but buy all from the same breeder....mixing from multiple sources is a recipe for disease.Having lived in Baltimore for well over 20 years,and worked at some of the best fish stores there,I will say both are very well respected in the industry and proven,as evidenced by their longevity in the business.

BmoreBraap
11-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I think everyone is right, no harm in checking both out and making a decision based on that. Just wanted to make sure one wasn't a known bad breeder/importer. Thanks again

BmoreBraap
11-17-2016, 07:50 PM
look at both,but buy all from the same breeder....mixing from multiple sources is a recipe for disease.Having lived in Baltimore for well over 20 years,and worked at some of the best fish stores there,I will say both are very well respected in the industry and proven,as evidenced by their longevity in the business.

Great, this was what I was hoping to hear. Cheers to another local

atlantadiscus
11-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Was a local......moved to Atlanta about 8 months ago and it seems strange ordering my fish from my hometown to be sent here.

pastry
11-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Had fish from gwynnbrook in the past and very good experience. Loved talking with owner. That was over 8 years ago though and website still hasn't changed which concerns me. The ol' man was awesome but unsure if he still runs things. Pretty sure him and Hans know one another well.

Loosir
11-18-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm sure you know this but Hans is not a breeder only a supplier. So while I personally think he's fantastic and all my fish come from him, what you will be comparing is the local breeder (who seems to have wonderful stock)to Stendker who is one of Europes biggest and best breeders. Good luck, hope you visit both

BmoreBraap
11-19-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm sure you know this but Hans is not a breeder only a supplier. So while I personally think he's fantastic and all my fish come from him, what you will be comparing is the local breeder (who seems to have wonderful stock)to Stendker who is one of Europes biggest and best breeders. Good luck, hope you visit both

While you are mainly correct, he does also have many in house breeding pairs and fry that he sells from those breedings.

BmoreBraap
11-28-2016, 09:55 PM
I stand corrected Loosir! After visiting Hans facility (and purchasing his fish-very happy I did) he told me exactly what you did, he will prove pairs but never sells the fry, only STENDKER imports. Beautiful fish either way.

Jack L
11-29-2016, 12:26 AM
i took the bait, read that thread...mostly i'm just curious what Pat deleted.. ; )

but the advice to go to both sounds like the most objective solution. heck...going to fish places is fun anyway !

Second Hand Pat
11-29-2016, 12:32 AM
i took the bait, read that thread...mostly i'm just curious what Pat deleted.. ; )

but the advice to go to both sounds like the most objective solution. heck...going to fish places is fun anyway !

Mostly posts which were not first hand experience Jack.
Pat

adrian31@outlook.com
12-02-2016, 09:18 AM

I've experienced this myself from another top breeder/supplier. I'd recommend hand picking your fish over relying on the breeder name/reputation.