PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Discus behavior

Lewjo11
08-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I just got back from a 6 day trip. So happy all my fish survived. I didn't feed them for 24 hours before leaving and did 75% water changes the day before and day of leaving. Lights out and was gone. I arrived back yesterday and did a %50 water change and today I feed them. They are eating fine (although not crazy as before) but something new has happened. My smallest 1.5 inch fish who I was very concerned with seems to now be the leader. I had a 2.5 inch one that who always pick on it 24/7. And now the rolls have sudden change my other 3.5 and 4 inch ones are chill as always.

Jenene
08-02-2017, 01:57 PM
I just got back from a 6 day trip. So happy all my fish survived. I didn't feed them for 24 hours before leaving and did 75% water changes the day before and day of leaving. Lights out and was gone. I arrived back yesterday and did a %50 water change and today I feed them. They are eating fine (although not crazy as before) but something new has happened. My smallest 1.5 inch fish who I was very concerned with seems to now be the leader. I had a 2.5 inch one that who always pick on it 24/7. And now the rolls have sudden change my other 3.5 and 4 inch ones are chill as always.

Discus behavior is fascinating and unpredictable. I have noticed that mine change their spots in the pecking order every once in awhile. Sometimes moving things around in the tank sparks it or adding a new fish or removing one definitely does. I had taken one out to treat in a QT tank and the order just collapsed. Everyone turned on one of my largest fish. The aggression was so bad he was cornered and had bite marks all over him. It was the night before I was supposed to attend a discus meet. I searched the forum archives and found a trick using mirrors taped to the outside of the tank. It gives the illusion of more fish and breaks up the aggression. I imagine it doesn't always work but it did for me. It was amazing to see. I felt confident enough to leave the tank for a day and made the meet. When I returned all was peaceful. He was healed and everyone back in their place.

So the behavior can be really interesting and sometimes there is just no visible rhyme or reason to it. Just part of enjoying them.

Kyla
08-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Neat idea for the mirrors, def could have used that last time my guys were battling!