PDA

View Full Version : sterlizing 180gal for a fresh start

adrian31@outlook.com
08-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

Ok, so I spent some time on the phone today with Gabe at Wattley's talking & looking at pics of his new stock, and I'm going to start the process to get 15 new fish in the next 3-4 weeks or so:

Eight 5.5"-6" Rafflesia
Four 5.5"-6" Cobalts
Three 5.5"-6" Blue Scorpions

This will be a completely fresh start for my 180gal so I will get rid of my current seven Discus, and sterilize the tank/filter before introducing the new stock. My tank is an acrylic 180gal with two overflows and a 29gal sump which is also acrylic.

Can anyone recommend the best way to sterilize my system?

Option 1 - Bleach: leave my tank full, pour in bleach, and let my filter run for a few hours. I like this method but using a 10/1 water-to-bleach ratio that would take 18 gallons of bleach.

Option 2 - Bleach: empty my tank and hand clean my tank/filter with bleach. This is more manual work but would use only around 2 gallons of bleach.

Option 3 - Potassium Permanganate: I also have an unopened bottle of solid Potassium Permanganate. Could this be used to sterilize my tank/filter?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Kenny

Willie
08-23-2017, 07:18 PM
20% bleach for 20 min. Put in enough to barely cover the bottom. Wait 20 minutes. Tilt tank on it's side. Wait 20 min. Repeat for each side.

Dump out residual bleach. Let air dry.

Add fish.

Good luck, Willie

adrian31@outlook.com
08-24-2017, 07:57 AM
20% bleach for 20 min. Put in enough to barely cover the bottom. Wait 20 minutes. Tilt tank on it's side. Wait 20 min. Repeat for each side.

Dump out residual bleach. Let air dry.

Add fish.

Good luck, Willie

Hi Willie,

Thanks for this,

jjduen
08-24-2017, 08:35 AM
What about using Peroxide. Just add a bottle or two into the tank and let run for a couple of days. Will that work?

pitdogg2
08-24-2017, 08:56 AM
What about using Peroxide. Just add a bottle or two into the tank and let run for a couple of days. Will that work?

Hydrogen Peroxide is only3% in its normal bottle state. 2 bottles to 180 gallons of water would be far too diluted to be effective imho.

For me lifting the tank with anything in it would be risky. 180 gal. glass tank is heavy to begin with. I would just fill 3/4 put 3 gallons of bleach in fill full and let sit for a day drain and dry. Heck you won't even need a whole day. I may be wrong but i can't see anything making it through that.
I know Willy said barely cover the glass but that is 5 sides of 20 min. and turning the tank to accommodate.

adrian31@outlook.com
08-24-2017, 09:09 AM
I was reading an old thread here on this and it was suggested that 3 cups of bleach in a 55 gallon running filters overnight would sterilize everything. This sounds like my best option in order to sterilize my tank, overflows, the four hoses to/from sump, and sump without needing to lift or move the tank.

Discus Maniac
08-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Dumb newbie question: you do that bleach process with anything in the tank??

adrian31@outlook.com
08-27-2017, 10:33 PM

No fish of course, but I left my driftwood and sand substrate in. Finished running the tank with bleach for about 12 hours, now the tank/sump are sitting empty waiting to dry.

I also took out the driftwood to dry separately; I purchased PC-Petrifier Wood Hardener to harden the wood, also a product called Pond Armor (aquarium safe epoxy) to coat/waterproof the wood. I'm looking forward to how my driftwood will be more or less preserved and waterproof after this process.

pitdogg2
08-27-2017, 10:33 PM

Of course water... lol
Some will keep all filters going to sterilize everything. No live stock unless you want it to expire.

Discus Maniac
08-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Of course water... lol
Some will keep all filters going to sterilize everything. No live stock unless you want it to expire.

LOL, I meant substrate or bare bottom. I just have never heard of doing it.. learn something new every day right?

pitdogg2
08-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Usually no substrate. To sterilize stuff like that you could just boil.