PDA

View Full Version : 75 Rimless Community Planted Tank.

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 03:35 PM
Running FX4 connected to an overflow + CO2.

PRE-DISCUS.

White Worm
08-31-2017, 04:11 PM
You better put a lid on that if you plan to have discus or you will have POST-discus rather quickly. When they get spooked they are jumpers. I have found some dried up on the floor even with lids. Amazing how they can find the smallest opening and make it out of the tank.

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Ha! I have to look into getting something clear looking perhaps...

White Worm
08-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Great idea. Guaranteed it will be your favorite that jumps....:(

rickztahone
08-31-2017, 04:26 PM
I know a couple of people over at nano-reef that do custom CNC acrylic covers. Very nice and professionally done which this tank would benefit from. Very nice tank, except for one thing, the substrate. That bed is just way too deep.

White Worm
08-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Should really consider getting some pool filter sand or something similar and a thin layer.

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 06:12 PM
I know a couple of people over at nano-reef that do custom CNC acrylic covers. Very nice and professionally done which this tank would benefit from. Very nice tank, except for one thing, the substrate. That bed is just way too deep.

Can you give me the info? I would definitely consider doing it with them..

Substrate, I know, this is planted and it's one of the trade offs.

rickztahone
08-31-2017, 06:56 PM
Can you give me the info? I would definitely consider doing it with them..

Substrate, I know, this is planted and it's one of the trade offs.

I'll take a look for you tomorrow when I have a chance.

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Looks great. From what I see plant wise do you think you really need co2?

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 09:46 PM
Looks great. From what I see plant wise do you think you really need co2?

I had it for free, so hooked it up. I see they started having holes in leaves due to (likely) deficiency in potassium, but CO2 should help too I assume. With amount of plants I figured co2 is a must, you don't think so?

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 09:48 PM
By the way, I am using the gravel vac attachment with my FX4 filter and it is the greatest invention ever lol, it makes the upkeep of planted tank super easy, so the substrate doesn't seem to be of issue, but since tank is living room centerpiece I had to focus on looks and that is why I have that one.

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 09:58 PM
I had it for free, so hooked it up. I see they started having holes in leaves due to (likely) deficiency in potassium, but CO2 should help too I assume. With amount of plants I figured co2 is a must, you don't think so?

I would say no. The tank is lightly planted and the plants you do have are not high demand plants. They do just fine without co2. Having plants that don't need co2 I wouldn't see the benefit of running it just because. Running co2 causes ph fluctuation and can potentially stress your discus

Necessity for co2 depends more on the type of plants than the amount. You can have a heavily planted low tech tank with no co2. Remember your fish will be producing co2. Co2 is typically used for high light requiring plants and carpeting

I run co2 in my planted tank but that's not my discus tank.

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 10:01 PM
I would say no. The tank is lightly planted and the plants you do have are not high demand plants. They do just fine without co2. Having plants that don't need co2 I wouldn't see the benefit of running it just because. Running co2 causes ph fluctuation and can potentially stress your discus

For the record, Im using regulator (PH/co2) so fluctuation is only 0.1. It activates co2 when PH goes above 6.5 (my tap water ph), so it is always between 6.4 - 6.5. I assume 0.1 in PH is not an issue as far as that specifically goes, right?...while I am deciding on how it helps/not helps.

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 10:04 PM
For the record, Im using regulator (PH/co2) so fluctuation is only 0.1. It activates co2 when PH goes above 6.5 (my tap water ph), so it is always between 6.4 - 6.5. I assume 0.1 in PH is not an issue as far as that specifically goes, right?...while I am deciding on how it helps/not helps.

Right that fluctuation doesn't hurt. So if I understand correctly you are using very little co2. Do you have a drop checker in the tank to monitor your co2 level?

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 10:06 PM
Right that fluctuation doesn't hurt. So if I understand correctly you are using very little co2. Do you have a drop checker in the tank to monitor your co2 level?

Right, I have the Milwaukee system connected with my co2.

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 10:06 PM
It looks like you have swords, crypts, vals and anubias? None of those require co2 but that's not to say they wouldn't benefit either.

My crypts and vals grow like crazy in my planted but I run high light, high co2, long photo period and dose ferts so very different than a discus tank

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 10:07 PM
I just dosed some ferts due to what looks like potassium deficiency..adding some iron too.

rickztahone
08-31-2017, 10:08 PM
Iron may help too. Co2 doesn't hurt any plants ;)

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 10:13 PM
My plants finally started looking better once I got my ferts dialed in. I had my discus in a planted tank to start but ended up rescaping for benefit of the fish.

Once I started using the full line of seachem ferts and their dosing schedule plants did great. Downside is those liquid ferts are expensive and the dosing is a PITA. This this day and that that day etc.

What I started using and use now is the pps pro from Greenleaf. You get all the dry ferts for like $30 bucks and mix your solutions. Very cheap. The nice things about the pps pro dosing method is that you are dosing essentially what the plants will uptake in a days time so frequent eater changes shouldn't have a negative effect.

Not saying you need to go all out with ferts but that's what has done the trick for me

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Ideally your plants will utilize excess nutrients in the water when your tank is stocked so you won't have to dose ferts. Root tabs would help especially for the swords

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Ideally your plants will utilize excess nutrients in the water when your tank is stocked so you won't have to dose ferts. Root tabs would help especially for the swords

that is what i ordered from seachem..awaiting it.

Demosthenes
08-31-2017, 10:17 PM
Ha! I have to look into getting something clear looking perhaps...

I haven't had issues with jumpers in my rimless tank, but I made a cover for overnight just in case. I bought a piece of 1/4 inch acrylic cut to size, and used a jigsaw to make cutouts for my equipment. The only real downside I've found is that it fogs up from condensation so it isn't really clear. It also sags slightly, but I just flip it over every day to flatten it out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wQOA1SNrCMEBj6YlqmKLPz3aH04nym_zCNlzZKZ0LKwS6QoTDx YTR_e0eTzo1NxJ63uC2Xhwr-y1qzaugZNkYVbCTAtZYxAUCNk1jhfva-HO_uTqdEYLJPFWSJdrb1_khAayC8YxvDjZkWurpzxQIpf2Vhm0 lDnkhIKd8bEb34bhSNOYI730Ovd8rY0jXmiRQ-jf7j8zhQtvoB6Lg6L_UBC4VS_tCwegBYVJEDy16A-x-O0EkBXg7dA0e-VonMCeIDFPrdbp775rdZqPbTN4IqXoett2D-wMOIrKBeaZx9dSgNzKctOAu-8DRyGoXsFj5bZ8Itltd9dXWHSEnAPZz-c4nRhB6uCemh7tvxnKVu9pfblGSVNbGtxMwzy9TiKdZX10Xtr3 PAD843rc24FRtD_6Lnr0UTlUePXQ7xYwPtU65RkZ7_YEMvV_-Zy7j8fnnZf2Zz0StMx7ucDuNEhdPc96x_OA31kSIc0CXDsnAiY VVsfLJBnXOf8z4jo0Za6r3AkGR5UEVjCpilvCdTVUVBopXWtYk PQrZw6DRU7l-ainwNAN7u5Nbt3RVoBRYcD0YYFLvwoQ=w1440-h694

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 10:21 PM
that is what i ordered from seachem..awaiting it.

Root tabs ?

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 10:30 PM
I have Deep Blue Rimless 7gF (reef ready) and I noticed they make glass canopies for it.. UPC: 789416398184 Looking now to see more details about that..

Discus Maniac
08-31-2017, 10:36 PM
this is it..:

Ryan925
08-31-2017, 11:33 PM
this is it..:

And that will work on a rimless?

Demosthenes
09-01-2017, 02:37 PM

I don't think they work without modifying the tank. Those lids are cut to fit inside the edges of the glass and rest on the plastic lip around the top of a traditional tank. In other words - they aren't long enough to just rest on top of the glass on a rimless tank. You could build a low-profile lip to support the top by siliconing some acrylic along the inside edge of the tank.

BUT...they also don't come in one piece past 36". Any longer than that and they sell you two separate tops that sit side by side and require a center brace to hold them up. So you can't use them on a 4ft rimless tank. At least that was my experience when shopping for one. I believe the consensus is that you would need thicker glass to safely span a 4ft gap.

rickztahone
09-01-2017, 07:45 PM

you just need the rimless tabs. They cost like 3 bucks.

Ryan925
09-01-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't think they work without modifying the tank. Those lids are cut to fit inside the edges of the glass and rest on the plastic lip around the top of a traditional tank. In other words - they aren't long enough to just rest on top of the glass on a rimless tank. You could build a low-profile lip to support the top by siliconing some acrylic along the inside edge of the tank.

BUT...they also don't come in one piece past 36". Any longer than that and they sell you two separate tops that sit side by side and require a center brace to hold them up. So you can't use them on a 4ft rimless tank. At least that was my experience when shopping for one. I believe the consensus is that you would need thicker glass to safely span a 4ft gap.

Oh my 75 with rims I have two versatops.

Discus Maniac
09-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Oh my 75 with rims I have two versatops.

I am awaiting quote from one place that does those mesh acrylic tops/covers I like. What is versatop btw?

Discus Maniac
09-05-2017, 08:34 PM
OK. So after reading and reading I decided to do an overhaul of the tank to make it/scape it more discus friendly. I ordered few pcs of Manzanita wood and plan on doing just that with few plants (few anubias and red tiger lotus). Would you suggest pool filter sand or some other one? I definitely like the pool fitler silica sand from ACE store..

Ryan925
09-05-2017, 08:49 PM
OK. So after reading and reading I decided to do an overhaul of the tank to make it/scape it more discus friendly. I ordered few pcs of Manzanita wood and plan on doing just that with few plants (few anubias and red tiger lotus). Would you suggest pool filter sand or some other one? I definitely like the pool fitler silica sand from ACE store..

I had the ace stuff and just swapped it for aqua quartz. Not that anything was wrong with the ace stuff but was just starting to get grimey looking after a year

Discus Maniac
09-05-2017, 08:55 PM
What plants can I keep and maintain with either of this sandy bottom? Will Lotus survive by the way? I have some anubias and crypts also left to play with..

Phillydubs
09-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Either way...

I got the sand babygirl ryan recommended

Don't ask me when it will be in the tank though ! Lol

Discus Maniac
09-05-2017, 08:56 PM
I can always juice it with seachem tablets I assume..

Ryan925
09-05-2017, 09:18 PM
What plants can I keep and maintain with either of this sandy bottom? Will Lotus survive by the way? I have some anubias and crypts also left to play with..

Not sure about the lotus I don't have any experience with it but I believe Neptune has lotus in his sand. Crypt will be fine in the sand and anubias can be attached to wood. If you want anubias in the sand be sure to only bury the roots not the rhizome

Davidzil
09-05-2017, 10:55 PM
I have lotus plants in BB tanks growing like crazy, so I would say yes, plus in the sand you can always add root tabs.

Discus Maniac
09-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Any other sand y'all recommend that is more on the white color side?

Discus Maniac
09-06-2017, 09:39 AM
I am doing som simple Manzanita wood and few plants and I want that on a white colored sand or white-ish.

Ryan925
09-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Aqua quartz is probably is as white as you're gonna get

Discus Maniac
09-06-2017, 10:27 AM
I guess 1 bag of 50lb is more than enough for 75 G tank right?

Ryan925
09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
I guess 1 bag of 50lb is more than enough for 75 G tank right?

Yep

If you are considering aqua quartz I can shoot you a link for a site where I found it about half price of everywhere else

Discus Maniac
09-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Yep

If you are considering aqua quartz I can shoot you a link for a site where I found it about half price of everywhere else

I just placed order with Doheny's or something like that and it is coming Friday. I also have the Manzanita wood coming soon.

So, given that I am going for simple, clean setup with few plants only - are any plecos or corys a good choice? I know the pleco dillemma but I have some nice red dragon plecos I'd like to keep..

Ryan925
09-06-2017, 02:17 PM
I just placed order with Doheny's or something like that and it is coming Friday. I also have the Manzanita wood coming soon.

So, given that I am going for simple, clean setup with few plants only - are any plecos or corys a good choice? I know the pleco dillemma but I have some nice red dragon plecos I'd like to keep..

Corys are great for a cleanup crew. Pecos are nice but really make a mess.

That looks like a whiptail cat? Those are cool fish and don't make nearly the mess that plecos do, I do believe

jmf3460
09-06-2017, 02:39 PM
OP you could consider potting your plants in a small terracotta pot, I use small jelly jars (glass) and drinking glasses to pot my plants in my tanks that I use sand in. this is a pretty common practice for discus keepers that want to combine plants with the ease of siphoning on top of sand.

Discus Maniac
09-06-2017, 02:47 PM
OP you could consider potting your plants in a small terracotta pot, I use small jelly jars (glass) and drinking glasses to pot my plants in my tanks that I use sand in. this is a pretty common practice for discus keepers that want to combine plants with the ease of siphoning on top of sand.

I hate seeing pots of any kind as I want natural feel and look, so that is a no go for me from aesthetics standpoint.

jmf3460
09-06-2017, 02:50 PM
I would stick to plants that attach to wood then, like anubias and buce. To have sand deep enough to support plants would probably not be conducive to the ease of siphoning that you will appreciate with a really light shallow layer of sand.

Discus Maniac
09-06-2017, 02:53 PM
I would stick to plants that attach to wood then, like anubias and buce. To have sand deep enough to support plants would probably not be conducive to the ease of siphoning that you will appreciate with a really light shallow layer of sand.

You might be right. I will probably play around with tiger lotus I want to keep but might end up doing just that. I would keep a little scaped mound (low though) in area of lotus (2 of them), but other than that I saw crypts (parvas) needing very think layer only. That is what I think of going with around few stones that I plan on having..

Discus Maniac
09-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Manzanita wood is here, now waiting for tomorrow's delivery of AquaQuartz sand and it's go time! 112188

Discus Maniac
09-08-2017, 09:06 PM
H E R E I T C O M E S - out with the old setup, in woth the new!

Aqua Quarz on the bottom, 3 lotus, dragon stones and Parvas. That's it. If the lotus doesn't survive (will try the tablets for it), then Dwarf Lilly should be able to make it speaking from experience.

Thoughts?

Phillydubs
09-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Nice transformation.

If I may suggest breaking that wood up or stretching out anbit more. It looks very I dunno bunched and like just boom wood and then that other area. I think you can make it flow better. But it's your tank and yourntaste