PDA

View Full Version : Help with knowing discus fish water changes

discustip
09-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi I want to ask how many water changes should i do weakly for discus fish.also percentage of water changes for discus fish. I do not have discus fish but hoping to get some once I do my research. I am 10 years old.

rickztahone
09-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Hi I want to ask how many water changes should i do weakly for discus fish.also percentage of water changes for discus fish. I do not have discus fish but hoping to get some once I do my research. I am 10 years old.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Will you have the assistance of your parents for water changes? Do you know what size discus you might get?

discustip
09-03-2017, 12:07 PM
The local fish stores carry 2.5 inch discus. I am sure that is what I would purchase. My mom is teaching me how to do water changes on my 30 gallon tank that is full of guppies and Molly's. I am hoping to take on the responsibility of water changes before we get discus, but my mom will always help me.

White Worm
09-05-2017, 11:26 AM
You should have your mom or dad log in here to Simply Discus and ask some questions. Discus are a challenging fish to work with if you are not experienced.

Ryan925
09-05-2017, 11:46 AM
The local fish stores carry 2.5 inch discus. I am sure that is what I would purchase. My mom is teaching me how to do water changes on my 30 gallon tank that is full of guppies and Molly's. I am hoping to take on the responsibility of water changes before we get discus, but my mom will always help me.

Getting fish in that size range requires much more work on your part than larger fish. You would be most likely looking at 50% daily wcs, maybe more

discustip
09-06-2017, 07:50 AM
I might be able to special order a 5" discus.what would be the water changes on a 5" discus . I was wanting a brilliant turquoise discus or a brilliant red turquoise discus or a pigeon blood discus.

Ryan925
09-06-2017, 10:13 AM
I might be able to special order a 5" discus.what would be the water changes on a 5" discus . I was wanting a brilliant turquoise discus or a brilliant red turquoise discus or a pigeon blood discus.

Is your plan only a single discus?

bluelagoon
09-06-2017, 10:19 AM
You will need at least 5-6 discus,more if possible,which cannot be kept in a 30 gal.One is not a good number for discus.Two can also lead to issues if not a pair.Three is almost always trouble.A breeding pair can be kept in the 30 gal. with no other fish would be better.50% or more WC daily or may get away with every other day depending on the feedings and what is fed in a 30 gal.for a pair.

pascal
09-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Hello,

I started to keep aquariums when I was 12 (I'm 56 today). I was from the beginning interested in keeping special fishes, including discus. At that age, I didn't know much about water chemistry (I studied chemistry later), technology, biology etc. Of course, there was no internet end information flow was very limited. I made a lot of mistakes at the cost of fishes life and a lot of frustration for myself. I would like to give you an advice, up to you to consider. Take the time to grow in the hobby, don't force things and enjoy. Take the time to learn something about chemistry, technology and aquarium keeping, nutrition, filtration. At ten years, as clever as you might be, I suppose this is limited. Keep fish adapted to your tank and your level of experience, then you will have fun.