View Full Version : would like your guys opinion on stocking my 125 gallon tank

matt2426
09-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Ok I started to get my community fish for my 125 gallon tank I currently have 40 cardinal tetras and 4 fancy plecos was thinking about adding two dozen rummy nose tetras how many discus would you think I would have room for without it being over stocked I want to get 9 or 10 discus would I have to cut back on any of the fish. for filtration I have a fx6 and a aquaclear 110 and I'm planning on doing water changes every day or maybe every other day thanks

Phillydubs
09-09-2017, 12:06 PM
I see no reason with your water changes and set up that you can't do 9-10.

That's a lot of pleccos though. They are poop machines

matt2426
09-09-2017, 01:08 PM
I see no reason with your water changes and set up that you can't do 9-10.

That's a lot of pleccos though. They are poop machines

ya they are but I like how they look there the smaller plecos max size is about 5 inches I'm sure ill eventually get sick of cleaning up after them but thanks for the reply

Phillydubs
09-09-2017, 06:01 PM
I hear ya. I have 3 spotted inspector pleccos in mine and they are maybe 4 inches. If that. Cool when I actually see them. But boy do they drop bombs all day everyday. I have some hollowed out rocks and I dump them like once a week and it's a shiiiit show. Pun intended ! Lol

ssevasta
09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Certain species of plecos make way less of a mess. I have five L134's in my 75 gallon and four in my 55 gallon and I can barely notice their poop in comparison to my discus. The only thing is L134 Leopard Frogs are really hard to find in stock anywhere nowadays but I got lucky when I saw that Discus N More had them for $32 each. I bought all 9 fish that he had left because I used to keep these guys years ago but I couldn't justify paying $75 each on any of the other sites I've seen selling them. They're perfect companions for discus because they prefer a high protein diet and warm water 84-86F. Also they stay small and I've never seen one bigger than 4 inches before.

matt2426
09-09-2017, 06:17 PM
I hear ya. I have 3 spotted inspector pleccos in mine and they are maybe 4 inches. If that. Cool when I actually see them. But boy do they drop bombs all day everyday. I have some hollowed out rocks and I dump them like once a week and it's a shiiiit show. Pun intended ! Lol

Lol I hear ya they do crap like crazy I have a few l66 king tiger plecos a green phantom and a gold nugget they are sweet when u actually see them

matt2426
09-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Certain species of plecos make way less of a mess. I have five L134's in my 75 gallon and four in my 55 gallon and I can barely notice their poop in comparison to my discus. The only thing is L134 Leopard Frogs are really hard to find in stock anywhere nowadays but I got lucky when I saw that Discus N More had them for $32 each. I bought all 9 fish that he had left because I used to keep these guys years ago but I couldn't justify paying $75 each on any of the other sites I've seen selling them. They're perfect companions for discus because they prefer a high protein diet and warm water 84-86F. Also they stay small and I've never seen one bigger than 4 inches before.

ya the l134 are very nice plecos I have found if you stick with the smaller ones the waste isn't as bad.the owner of my lfs I go to is an pleco addict and he basically got me hooked on them they have a very nice selection of rare ones

RogueDiscus
09-09-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm out of my league here with tankmates, but would some cory's help with the poop?